Tips for building trails?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/13/2014 8:31 PM

So basically i'm building beginnerish jumps (like 5 foot tall or so) and i was wondering how much of a gap should i put. I haven't really tried to go front wheel first or whatever yet so tips for that would be awesome too. Basically wondering what is a good sized gap to start trying to jump?

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

4/13/2014 8:37 PM

Start with this
Photo

Then work your way up. Lolol

But bike length, 2 bike lengths maybe. Dirt jumps I've been riding lately at the park have been about that big of a gap, they're just tables though too so really fun to mess around on. I'll upload a pic in a sec.

|

4/13/2014 8:38 PM

Photo

Pretty good length for their height, not overdone either but they're beginner jumps so people of all skill level can try them
|

4/13/2014 8:40 PM

for a 5 foot tall jump, it depends on if the lip is designed to send you up or out. If it sits about average, about 2, 2.5 bike lengths is right. if you build it and you don't like it, build it again. That's the beauty of trails. Everything is fixable.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

4/13/2014 8:59 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

for a 5 foot tall jump, it depends on if the lip is designed to send you up or out. If it sits about average, about 2, 2.5 ...more

Collin, I've been meaning to thank you. I took your building advice and I got my southwest shit dirt to become pretty nice!

|

4/13/2014 9:12 PM

You guys thought i was talking about real bike trails? Haha i meant flip trick trails. Trails are gay anyway unless you have some already built. Too much work imo.

jk, thx 4 the help.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

4/13/2014 9:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/13/2014 9:15 PM

Pile up dirt, do not pack it, then piss in it, pack it with an ice pick, shape it with your penis, and then ride your scooter on it.

|

4/13/2014 9:18 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

for a 5 foot tall jump, it depends on if the lip is designed to send you up or out. If it sits about average, about 2, 2.5 ...more

biggybuggy wrote:

Collin, I've been meaning to thank you. I took your building advice and I got my southwest shit dirt to become pretty nice!

No problem hombre.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

4/15/2014 9:15 AM

Mikel8149 wrote:

You guys thought i was talking about real bike trails? Haha i meant flip trick trails. Trails are gay anyway unless you have ...more

Trail riders and builders are among the most dedicated riders out there. The reason it isn't as popular is the younger generation refuses to work for a spot to ride. They want shit handed to them, and if they fuck it up, they want someone else to fix it. Hence all the "my town sucks how do I get a skatepark" threads.

Put in the work and have pride on what you built.

Size wise, if you haven't really ridden trails, make them 3-5 feet tall, gaps of 3-6 feet or so, depending on how you shape the lip and landing. Always look at where you can build, and check out how the land is laid out, see if you can visualize something there and take advantage of hills and slopes for the better.

Trails should always go down a slope or be level. The only "up" should be a step up.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/15/2014 9:16 AM

Also build weird stuff, like bridges and such, similar to MTB slopestyle. WAY more fun that just a few jumps in a row.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/15/2014 9:31 AM

Water water water. Dave is right, it's labor of love and it's the main reason trails arent around much. The "public" trails in STL have gone to shit because everyone wants to ride and nobody wants to work. Hell the smallish 8 pack at my house took a buddy and I prob 40 hours to complete. Another tip is to always water them before and after you ride. It helps so much.

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

4/15/2014 10:31 AM

Make sure you have a way to get water to them or you'll end up having to rebuild some jumps almost everytime you ride, which is a pain in the ass

Like everyone else said 3-6ft gap with the jumos being 4-5ft will be fine

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

4/15/2014 2:14 PM

Don't make jumps in a row. Make hips, rollers, berms, etc.

A lot of building trails/jumps is trial and error.

Don't be afraid to put in work.

|