Tips on Boosting a spine

Related:
Create New Tag

3/29/2015 4:35 AM

There's a 8 ft spine at my park that I ride and I can't figure out how to get higher on it I think I focus to much on coming down then going up. How do u guys guys usually get higher on spines?

|

3/29/2015 7:07 AM

bump
good Q

|

please embed videos

My art c:

bought from: Mario.villegas90, robinson79
[b]

3/29/2015 7:56 AM

Pull back really hard and pump it a certain way. When you're going down on the other side lean forward and push when you are landing. try and land front tire first. I don't recommend trying it on small shit. Like bigger spines are scarier but more forgiving. There is this shitty ass small one in the one park i go to and it sucks a lot. Like you can go high on it but no one can really catch a good transfer on it.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

3/29/2015 9:35 AM

SPEED BRO! if ur getting the same height every time that means u keep coming at it at the same speed try tweaking ur speed little

|

3/30/2015 10:40 AM

I'm gonna piggy back on this, cause the new park by my house has a 4 ft spine that has been killing me:

Everything I had read said to kinda moto-whip spines and try to move sideways as opposed to forward so you can blast without landing flat.

The issue I'm having is that even if I start all the way on the right side of the spine, I carve left, and rotate clockwise (right foot forward, so that's rotating the wrong way for me), I end up in the middle of the other side of the spine, and I'm all fucked up out of position to hit the quarter right after the spine.

I tried carving left and rotating CCW once, but hosed it all up and landed flat, front wheel first and fucked my wrists up before I could try that again.

So, anyone have any tips? I pretty much just hit it over and over and over until I run out of time, or crash and fuck myself up hoping it becomes clear at some point. I'm starting to think I just might not have enough bike control yet.

|

3/30/2015 11:21 AM

I actually would jump over it, but also carve the width if that makes sense. Like I would start on the right end, and boost over, but land on the left side.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/30/2015 4:38 PM

You can carve from side to side if you want or boost strait over it.

Depending on the height and size of the transition, you may want to kick out some to catch the tranny. If the ramp is big enough you want to nose in, catching the tranny as high up as you can with your front tire.

To learn how to nose in, learn nose picks strait over the spine. You can do those on almost any size spine but smaller (like 4 foot) is usually easier/less scary.

The key to boosting is going fast enough to go up and pushing into the tranny of the ramp, starting when your front tire starts rolling up the ramp. Crouch your whole body low and push into the tranny. You want to go strait up. Then when you're in the air, push your front tire down into the top part of the tranny on the other side.

and practice...

|

3/31/2015 7:09 AM

I started by just going slower and getting the feel of the carve across, then went faster and faster. Best I ever did was 3 feet over the 5 footer. But then the park closed down.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/31/2015 9:31 AM

I rode it again yesterday after work for awhile, and it started to feel better. I'm using smaller and smaller brake taps between the spine and the quarter right after it. Between the tips here, and just leaning back more/holding the pump longer, I think I'm starting to get it.

Man, it's a really really thin line between hitting it clean, and flat bottom though.

|

3/31/2015 11:02 AM

Get a car battery and some jumper cables and bam spine boosted

|

3/31/2015 11:30 AM

Tecnic1
How steep is the spine? 4 foot usually means mellow. Mellow means harder to boost strait up.

|

3/31/2015 5:05 PM

go fast. yolo hard.

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

4/1/2015 5:48 AM

pnj wrote:

Tecnic1
How steep is the spine? 4 foot usually means mellow. Mellow means harder to boost strait up.

It's mellow as shit.

It's kinda disappointing actually. The entire (brand new) park is mellow as shit. Even the skaters say it's too mellow.

|

4/1/2015 6:36 PM

fuck that. I love a mellow, small spine.

You can do nose picks over it (foot jams have never been easier)
360's are super fun and easy (they're super easy as 270's)
360 tail taps
360 nose picks
180's

the list goes on.

To boost it you'll have to carve from one side to the other. Make it a long, skinny box jump.

|

4/1/2015 10:45 PM

i kinda agree with pnj. lil spines are fun because you can fuck around on them a lot more. do tons of fun shit.

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

4/2/2015 5:11 AM

So I've ridden it for 20-30 minutes a day every day this week, and it's really gotten a lot better. I've figured out how to kinda boost it without carving by nosing in the way PNJ described, and actually hung up a little for the first time. I consider that a success.

I've also gotten better at knowing when I fucked up and am going to flat so that I can "get the landing gear down". That by itself has helped a ton because I'm fucking old as shit, so it takes forever for my wrists to feel better when I fuck them up.

I need to figure out how to carve left to right. When I do carve instead of going straight over, I'm carving right to left, which means I gotta air the quarter on the other side backside. I can, but not as smoothly or consistently as I can frontside.

|

4/3/2015 1:59 AM

Keep it up dude. Sounds like you're making solid progress.

|

Everyday is a gift!

BMX PATRIOT

BMX Donation Program
NORTHEAST CHAPTER of the MIDWEST BMX DONATION PROGRAM IS IN NEED OF YOUR USED BMX BIKES and PARTS.
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK!!!