Tips on riding stamina

Related:
Create New Tag

7/15/2019 8:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/15/2019 8:55 AM

For now I can only bunny hop some low stuff and manual a little bit. The problem is that after 30 minutes or so I already am tired, and if I continue, then my muscles are sore the next day. I feel that this keeps me from progressing.

I hoped that my body would accommodate, but I already ride like that for a year, about twice a week. I also pretty much only do these two moves, maybe I should have more variety not to put too much stress in one part of the body.

On the pumptrack, with proper 2min breaks between runs I can continue for longer, though, 1h+. I am already 28, not smoking, eating healthy.

How long does your typical riding session last? How long do you wait between runs (street), and how long a single run takes? Do you ride daily? Did you improve with time?

|

7/15/2019 9:00 AM

maciek-wroc wrote:

For now I can only bunny hop some low stuff and manual a little bit. The problem is that after 30 minutes or so I already am tired, and if I continue, then my muscles are sore the next day. I feel that this keeps me from progressing.

I hoped that my body would accommodate, but I already ride like that for a year, about twice a week. I also pretty much only do these two moves, maybe I should have more variety not to put too much stress in one part of the body.

On the pumptrack, with proper 2min breaks between runs I can continue for longer, though, 1h+. I am already 28, not smoking, eating healthy.

How long does your typical riding session last? How long do you wait between runs (street), and how long a single run takes? Do you ride daily? Did you improve with time?

Riding BMX requires using muscles and stabilizer muscles that practically no one uses in every day life. None of the stuff you're doing is normal, so you're engaging all kinds of stuff that doesn't normally get used.

Your stamina will definitely improve with time. When you're sore, that means your muscles are beginning to repair. The best thing to do to prevent soreness is stretch, and use those muscles again. Soreness is not a symptom of something wrong. It's actually completely the opposite. If you're sore you're doing good.

You do however, need to give yourself time to recover. I usually wait a full 48 hours after an intense workout if I'm really sore.

Stretch more, ride more, push yourself more.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

7/15/2019 11:21 AM

I don't know why but as long as I'm on my bike I don't feel tired until I push it too far and then I feel like I'm going to die. Learned that riding 25+ miles on a trip to okc.

|

7/15/2019 1:11 PM

Try riding more often, that should help

|

Ride everything

7/15/2019 7:16 PM

Ride more, you'll be able to go all day ez

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

7/15/2019 7:38 PM

Dj7131 wrote:

I don't know why but as long as I'm on my bike I don't feel tired until I push it too far and then I feel like I'm going to die. Learned that riding 25+ miles on a trip to okc.

when you find out jaws is in okc

|

Bunny hop and take your thumbs off
Tuck no footer
Tuck no fingers
Fakie switch bunny hop
Nose manual 1 ruler - krookedude

7/16/2019 12:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/16/2019 12:54 PM

Proper sleep schedule and proper nutrition will go soooo much farther than you would ever believe. Lack of sleep is a killer for me and having good riding stamina. You gotta push yourself every time you ride to ride a little longer.. one day you’ll be riding all day long and you won’t even remember the days you wimped out from sore muscles.

Stick with it and don’t be discouraged

|

7/16/2019 5:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/16/2019 5:18 PM

Ride when its too hot and too cold. Push your body further each time you go out! But drink tons of water, of course. Ride after work even if you feel exhausted. On super tired days, dont focus on tricks just ride and do bike control stuff.

|

7/17/2019 6:12 AM

Keep riding and eat good complex carbs and protein

|

7/18/2019 8:24 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Ride when its too hot and too cold. Push your body further each time you go out! But drink tons of water, of course. Ride after work even if you feel exhausted. On super tired days, dont focus on tricks just ride and do bike control stuff.

First of all, massive thanks for all of you for very helpful and motivating stuff!

As I am not that young anymore, I stretch and even foam-roll a lot. I think this is important, too.

"On super tired days, dont focus on tricks just ride and do bike control stuff."

What is your easy ride with just bike control, then? I can think of some trackstands, maybe some corners, too. Advice for a beginner would be great!
|

7/18/2019 10:47 AM

On super tired days I do low impact stuff like hopping over or on top of stuff, small grinds/stalls, clearing tabletops, fakies and foot jams. On days im injured or super sore, I will go spot hunting and park in a location I feel has tons of potential and explore for next time Im able to ride at a higher capacity.

|

7/18/2019 11:17 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

Proper sleep schedule and proper nutrition will go soooo much farther than you would ever believe. Lack of sleep is a killer for me and having good riding stamina. You gotta push yourself every time you ride to ride a little longer.. one day you’ll be riding all day long and you won’t even remember the days you wimped out from sore muscles.

My sleep schedule is really mcfucked up and I can ride all day

|

7/18/2019 11:24 AM

PastaIsLitty wrote:

That'll catch up with you. Sleep is the most important thing behind food and water.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

7/19/2019 12:46 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

PastaIsLitty wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

That'll catch up with you. Sleep is the most important thing behind food and water.

What about breathing dickhead?

|

7/19/2019 4:23 AM

RumHam wrote:

What about breathing dickhead?

That comes before food and water

|

7/19/2019 7:11 AM

Drink a fucking energy drink like a man!!!!!!!!!!!!! Monster 0 calorie white if you feeling classy, redbull if youre a white trash BITCH

|

7/19/2019 8:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/19/2019 8:16 PM

maciek-wroc wrote:

First of all, massive thanks for all of you for very helpful and motivating stuff!

As I am not that young anymore, I stretch and even foam-roll a lot. I think this is important, too.

"On super tired days, dont focus on tricks just ride and do bike control stuff."

What is your easy ride with just bike control, then? I can think of some trackstands, maybe some corners, too. Advice for a beginner would be great!

Bunnyhops manuals fakies. Don't hit a parking lot, just flow around your neighborhood/town hoppin little stuff and such. That's all I did for years, and when I finally decided to try progressing it was almost effortless from all my time spent just rippin around having fun

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert