Tire Bead Falling off the rim

Related:
Create New Tag

5/11/2017 6:28 AM

So I built up a new bike and got some fatter tires (2.3 Mission Fleets). I think they max at 65psi, so I put 50 in. had a quick ride last night and it was ended abruptly when my back tire started to fall of the rim. The bead bulged out over the rim. Anyone ever have this happen? They're older rhyno lite sun rims but I wouldn't think that would be an issue. I was running a 1.85 ringworm on the back before. I'm using a basic tube 20X1.75 and from what I've read that's fine for the fatter tires. Think it would help if I bump up to a wider tube? Give me your thoughts because I'm so frustrated about this.

|

5/11/2017 2:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/11/2017 2:25 PM

It's not the tube. It's more likely your rim. Not sure what you can really do about it though. The ryno lites might be too narrow for fat tires. Hopefully someone has better advise than me.

|

5/11/2017 3:29 PM

Might not have grabbed well, might be a bad bead, might be a bad rim.

What do you use to install tires?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/12/2017 6:12 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Just basic tire levers. I deflated the tube and reset the bead. It held during an hour session yesterday so hopefully it just didn't grab.

|

5/12/2017 6:13 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

It's not the tube. It's more likely your rim. Not sure what you can really do about it though. The ryno lites might be too ...more

That's what I'm afraid of. I think I'll be upgrading my wheels next. I don't want to be worried about this every time I ride.

|

5/12/2017 4:51 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Roose87 wrote:

Just basic tire levers. I deflated the tube and reset the bead. It held during an hour session yesterday so hopefully it just ...more

Could be this. I had a tire bead crap out and it just wouldn't grab well in one spot and slipped off the rim causing a loud bang.

Save for a fresh tire soon in case it happens.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/12/2017 5:51 PM

It's probably the bike, I recommend replacing it.

|

5/12/2017 7:11 PM

michael.eckhart wrote:

What do you recommend I get? You seem trustworthy.

|

5/12/2017 7:40 PM

michael.eckhart wrote:

Roose87 wrote:

What do you recommend I get? You seem trustworthy.

No but seriously, it probably just the fact that your fitting a modern style tire to an older style rim. Also the fact your trying to fit. 2.3 to a rim that typically has a lower sidewall. You'll most likely have to run a slimmer tire. Probably nothing bigger than 2.1....maybe. You could also call where ever you bought the rim and ask what they suggest.

|