Tire advice/recommendations

Related:
Create New Tag

5/17/2016 3:05 PM

Hey guys, looking to grab a new set of tires soon and I'm a bit stuck. Heres my situation, I have a first gen BTM so it doesnt have the crazy wide chain stays like a lot of new frames do to run all these 2.3 and bigger tires. Along with the fact my wheels untrue due to the fact I have a hop in my back wheel. My lbs "thats as true as its going to get with that hop" after truing my wheels. I didn't think it was that bad of a hop at all that but ill have to try to fix that myself once my spoke wrench comes in. I also wouldn't like any extremely heavy 2lb tires either because I like to keep my rotational weight down if I can. Tires are the easiest/cheapest way to do that.

I'd like something with something with some cushion but not so big that my wheels going to be rubbing my frame constantly. I ride mostly street/park, I like to go fast as hell but I don't want some ASM type of tire like most look like now.

These tires below stuck out to me. I also would prefer to order off transition BMX or 3ride but willing to order from any site really.

S&M Speedball 2.1 because it's a solid weight, s&m's a good company so I trust they make a good tire, it looks good and they are 2.24 inflated.

Fit FAF 2.3 night vision or black because they are thick, fast, decently grippy, and inflated width is 2.2. I know these wear out quick though as I had a 2.10 back in the day but everything is slick already it seems...

Eclat fireball tire black 2.3 because eclats a solid company and I know stevie rides hard. 2.3 inflated is 2.2, a bit heavy but I imagine its due to it being heavy duty for stevie's abuse

Open to suggestions as well! Would love to hear your opinions. Thank you.

|

5/17/2016 3:32 PM

I currently use Odyssey Hawk Tires and love'em, they grip really well and look good.

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

5/17/2016 3:48 PM

I'd stay away from the fireballs. I know a few people with them and they don't like them, i heard stevie didn't really like them either.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

5/17/2016 3:53 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

I'd stay away from the fireballs. I know a few people with them and they don't like them, i heard stevie didn't really like them either.

I find this rather surprising I've always thought they were good tires....

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

5/17/2016 3:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/17/2016 3:58 PM

Riding a speedball now and they're fucking huge , a 2.1 will be like a 2.3 in my opinion . Good tire bit size is debatable .

Rode Fireballs , I love Eclat but for the price CAD at least , you can get something that will last longer . Mine wore quickly , they were nice though . My buddy rides gum ones at the moment and he agrees with what I said about them .

I have an FAF 2.25 in the back and it's not too big , it hasn't given me problems and it seems to last , I traded a Speedball 2.4 for it because as mentioned they're way too big , and I'm happy with the FAF and it was second hand .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/17/2016 4:00 PM

Photo

They're huge , speedballs
|

My Cult 2 Short

5/17/2016 4:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/17/2016 4:11 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote: Photo

Nice^^ I think I could fit the 2.1 in my back if my he 2.125 is fitting back there now with no problems. I have s&m pitchfork xlt's and my wheels true so should be a problem. So would you say the fit 2.25 is smaller then the speedball? I wouldn't mind getting those again and BMX transition has them in kevlar for only 10$ more but i remember them being big as fuck and dans says they inflate to 2.36

|

5/17/2016 5:45 PM

Obama wrote:

Nice^^ I think I could fit the 2.1 in my back if my he 2.125 is fitting back there now with no problems. I have s&m pitchfork xlt's and my wheels true so should be a problem. So would you say the fit 2.25 is smaller then the speedball? I wouldn't mind getting those again and BMX transition has them in kevlar for only 10$ more but i remember them being big as fuck and dans says they inflate to 2.36

Ya FAF is smaller , I had 2.4 Speedballs in my S&M and they rubbed all the time , but the 2.4 was actually like 2.425 at the minimum so a 2.1 might be something like a 2.25 or 2.3 I'd say .

My buddy has Pitchforks lol ... snapped the dropouts right off the forks

|

My Cult 2 Short

5/17/2016 6:20 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote: Photo

Obama wrote:

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Ya FAF is smaller , I had 2.4 Speedballs in my S&M and they rubbed all the time , but the 2.4 was actually like 2.425 at the minimum so a 2.1 might be something like a 2.25 or 2.3 I'd say .

I've seen literally almost every part from too many companies list products break. Things break, sometimes its shit luck, sometimes its due to hard riding and stress over time, sometimes a mix of both. Take things with a grain of salt.

|

5/17/2016 7:59 PM

I think I'm down to the fit FAF 2.3 front and back, the 2.25 BSD donnasqueks front and back (which seem like a slightly skinnier/slightly worn in 2.25 faf tread , or the s&m speedball 2.1 front and back but they must be a bit thin due to their weight. Still open to suggestions if they meet my criteria. would like something smaller then 2.25 when inflated for the back

|

5/17/2016 8:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/17/2016 9:00 PM

The only advantage to super big tires is they are easy to find , and they work well if you like grinding and going slow , if your a more wide ranged freestyle rider who likes speed and variety their really is no advantage to bigger tires , besides all the little kids you rip up look up too and admire you cause they think it looks cool

|

5/17/2016 9:03 PM

Obama wrote:

I've seen literally almost every part from too many companies list products break. Things break, sometimes its shit luck, sometimes its due to hard riding and stress over time, sometimes a mix of both. Take things with a grain of salt.

Not a great way to get back into Vital telling someone who's on everyday to take things with a grain of salt looool

Photo

|

My Cult 2 Short

5/17/2016 9:31 PM

Obama wrote:

Not a great way to get back into Vital telling someone who's on everyday to take things with a grain of salt looool

Photo

What? I think you missed my point completely. My point was that you can find almost every thing from every brand broken eventually but okay. I forgot how immature and stupid this forum is.

What is your point?

|

5/18/2016 10:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/18/2016 10:33 AM

eskimojay wrote:

The only advantage to super big tires is they are easy to find , and they work well if you like grinding and going slow , if your a more wide ranged freestyle rider who likes speed and variety their really is no advantage to bigger tires , besides all the little kids you rip up look up too and admire you cause they think it looks cool

Big tires with low pressures will give you more traction with the ground. Also more cushion on those drops

Edit: here are some great articles explaining wider tires

http://www.fitwellbikes.com/blog/2015/3/12/wider-is-better

http://www.bikeroar.com/articles/why-you-must-run-wider-tires-on-your-road-bike (road bike article but the same principles can be applied to bmx)

|

5/18/2016 12:37 PM

I'm currently running 2.4 Dugans and 2.4/2.25 Donnasqueaks. I like both of those a lot, but the Donnasqueaks were a little slick until they broke in. The 2.4 Dugan is noticeably smaller than the 2.4 Donnasqueak.

Oh, I have both because I wanted to try both, and I'm fucking rich, bitches.

I've also ran Hawks in the past, both the regular and P-lyte. The P-lyte was slightly larger then the normal one. I liked those also, but I wanted to try something different this time.

|

5/18/2016 1:30 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Coopers25 wrote:

Big tires with low pressures will give you more traction with the ground. Also more cushion on those drops

http://www.bikeroar.com/articles/why-you-must-run-wider-tires-on-your-road-bike (road bike article but the same principles can be applied to bmx)

how the fuck doe wider tires decrease rolling resistance? everything else in that first article made sense except that one line. maybe its a typo

|

5/18/2016 2:50 PM

Shadow valors. They are heavy but the must durable I ever had.

1. Shadow valors
2. Odyssey hawk
3. Demo momentun

I had demo momentum, they are quite decent too.

Odyssey ross v1 were horribly slippy to me. Animal mtt feel very very weird. My cult dehart were nice but wear out fast .

Im gonna try those demolition rig next

Hope this help.

|

5/18/2016 3:13 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Coopers25 wrote:

Obama wrote:

how the fuck doe wider tires decrease rolling resistance? everything else in that first article made sense except that one line. maybe its a typo

Another good article explaining what you just asked

http://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/rolling_resistance#why

|