Tire rubbing on frame

Related:
Create New Tag

9/25/2016 1:21 PM

I saw another forum on this and had trouble finding out wich problem i had im new to actually fixing bikes. And i offer pics to help identify why my rear tire is rubbing against the left hand side. I have a RHD, i tried to hop a curve and caught my back tire puncturing it and possibly damaging the frame on the left side. It wasnt until i replaced the tube that i found the rubbing problem.

The bolts are usually tight as can be. I didnt have a problem with the paint before i changed the tire. The wheel could very well need trued. And im not sure what my dropouts are supposed to look like so i cant tell if theyve been mildly bent

|

9/25/2016 2:22 PM

It does look like you bent the left chainstay. If the gap on both sides of the tire at the seat stay are the same, the tire is centered. You could try prying the chain stay out, but it will take a lot of leverage and you may go to far and break it...smaller tire is your best bet at this point. And keep an eye out for frame sales!

|

New tech can't beat old school cool...or can it?
1987 O.O.S. Redline RL20II (Old Old Stock - this ain't no museum piece kids!)
2012 Norco Deviant
1996 GT Avalanche LE w/ Full 2002 XT upgrade and NE Total Air MZO fork

9/25/2016 2:46 PM

Are there any reccomended ways of prying the mainstay or any tire sizes that are better for tricks?

|

9/25/2016 2:47 PM

Either your wheel isn't in straight, or your frame is bent. Getting a narrower tyre will help with the rubbing, but I definitely wouldn't try to straighten it. What frame is it?

|

9/25/2016 2:51 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Either your wheel isn't in straight, or your frame is bent. Getting a narrower tyre will help with the rubbing, but I definitely wouldn't try to straighten it. What frame is it?

Oh man i just bought this from a friend but the stickers suggest it was sold by fitbike co.

|

9/27/2016 9:14 AM

whatever you do dont ride it if the tyre does actually rub at all, or itll rub through your frame

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

9/27/2016 6:42 PM

add another spacer in between that axle bolt and the frame and boom you can ride again

|

Fo' pegs or no pegs

9/27/2016 11:19 PM

Slaytanic Wehrmacht 666 wrote:

add another spacer in between that axle bolt and the frame and boom you can ride again

All that will do is push the dropouts further apart. It won't make the chainstays wider.

It's probably from one of their cheap completes, so it'll be made out of a similar cheese as the cheap "mainstream" bmx's you get from department stores. Or it could just be a fit sticker.

|