Tire Review Compilation Thread

Related:
Create New Tag

2/6/2015 10:26 PM

What tires have you all had experience with? They're just about one of the most important parts on a bike. So a chart of reviews and experience with tires could be a good thing, maybe if it catches on, give it a sticky, seeing as they're the most commonly replaced part on a bike, and a bad one renders a bike a piece of crap. So yeah. A large list of tire reviews. I'll add to the og post and stuff to minimize scrolling and searching if it works out.

Animal MTT: Grips well on almost everything except slick parks (ie: thick painted concrete in my experience). Lasts forever, the one I got is on its third owner, almost no wear. It's also the hardest to puncture tire I've ever owned.

Animal TWW: Grips on everything great except dirt, and if you are that one guy that disses a nearly slick tire because it slipped on dirt, fuck you. It
is super fast rolling, and has been lasting super well (over a year on mine). It's also hard to puncture.

Demolition Machete: Best gripping tire I've owned. Grips excellent on everything. It's also really light and not all that expensive. Downsides are that it wears out quickly, and it punctures easily. Would recommend as a front tire to anyone that is careful about avoiding sharp things.

Kenda Kontacts: The only reason I'm mentioning these is because I was the tard that payed for them. I had them in red. They grip okayish. Go to dirt, metal ramps, or a thickly painted surface and death shall come upon thee. No grip. Doesn't last wirth crap, punctures way too easily. But they're like $15. So they can get away with it. Can't recommend in any way shape or form.

|

2/6/2015 11:09 PM

Odyssey Aitken P-Lyte 2.25: Fucking amazing on pretty much everything. Grippy, fast, and they can last 3-4 years, maybe even more if you don't ride as much.

Odyssey Aitken Knobby 2.35: Even more fucking amazing. Still grippy on everything, but even more grippy on dirt. Fast as fuck and looks bad ass. Plus mine looks almost new after 7 months of riding. Also light which feels awesome.

Kink Vela 2.1: Pretty damn awesome. Haven't had any issues with gripping on concrete or dirt, and it's fast and light. It's also small enough to work easily with brakes which is awesome. It grips when you need it to, but also slides when you want it to.

Demolition Machete 2.25: Good on dirt, below average on concrete. Slipped out a lot for me at parks, more than any other tire. Don't really recommend it.

Revenge Industries Folding 2.1: Light, fast smooth. Not the grippiest tire on dirt or park but good enough.

|

2/6/2015 11:31 PM

I really haven't ridden that many tires, I stick to what I like and leave it at that.

Haro Catapult tires that came stock on my Haro- Decent grip but I remember they wore out pretty quickly but other than that, they were fine.

Fly Ruben rear tire- The original rear one was a less aggressive tread that you see nowadays, but I don't recall it ever being really slippery except maybe when I put it in the front but by then it was all worn down from being my back tire.

Animal ASM- I never rode brand new ASM tires, always got mine used from friends and always rode them in the front which probably wasn't the best idea since they're slicks haha. But aside from being slick, they didn't really wash out a lot, they did however get glass stuck in them all the fuckin time so I finally just stopped riding them.

Shadow Undertaker- My first one lasted forever, great grip, even somehow helped me learn sliders with these. Never had an issue with the first one I had but the second one I bought wore down super fast, but maybe cause at that point I was doing sliders allll the time haha who knows.

Animal GLH- First got one for the rear and never went back to anything but a GLH in the rear. Felt good and the sidewalls never got ripped up from grinding. Eventually got one in the front too and rode that setup for awhile and it had great grip in the front as well. Only complaint is that they seem to attract more tiny metal shavings & glass more than other tires but maybe that's just bad luck too.

Animal GLH-R- Had a 2 or 3 of these in the front, gripped the same but always wore out much faster usually from the center of the tire starting to peel and threads underneath starting to show. Weird. Decided to try a new tire after I got tired of that happening.

Fit FAF 2.25"- First time I got one of these, I wasn't too happy. When they're new (Or at least the older ones did for me anyway), they slip sooo much when carving. I tried a hop 360 washed out. Days went by though and I guess whatever residue was on them from being new wore off and they no longer slipped and gripped fucking amazing, I love how the aggressive tread ones look too. I never really cared that they squeak but it's funny to me when they do cause it just sounds funny when I land and they make a loud squeak haha.

Fit FAF-K 2.25"- Same as above.. Only got folding ones because every time I'd try to get a regular one, they were out of stock. The folding ones were just as the non-folding ones, but for some reason seemed to get a hop in the tire after only a short period of time. It wasn't the rim either, it was the tire. Not a big deal, just annoying cause it makes your front wheel look bent when it isn't.

Been runnin 2.10" Animal GLH tires in the rear for about 8 years now, and 2.25" Fit FAF tires in the front for a little over 4 years. I love this setup.

|

2/7/2015 12:08 AM

SHADOW: valors are hands down best street tires you can ever get imo. i just got a new pair cause my old pair finally wore down to the threads after a year and a half. i never ever did get a flat with them until it started wearing down. i got 1 flat for 1 and a half years with these tires. these are very grippy and squeaky. they grip well on dirt and skateparks. they live up to their price. SHADOW VALORS FTW!!!

|

2/7/2015 2:37 AM

So, I'll add all these to the og post tomorrow, went better than expected.

|

2/7/2015 6:59 AM

Demolition Momentums- 2.20 This has been among the best set of tires I have had. I don't grind much, so the sidewall thickness is not that important in my tires, but they have gripped well for everything I have done with them. Light, fast rolling and smooth, my first set lasted me 2+ years before I got a killer deal on a second set, and I have a year on the second set. (For the record I ride primarily park now, and not as often as I used to).

Odyssey Dirt Paths- 2.10 Great Grip, thicker sidewal, heavier, GREAT on dirt, a little sluggish on street but a good tire all around, good grip on street, not too knobby. All in all I would rock them again if I was riding dirt more. My nephew has them on his bike that I built for him.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/7/2015 7:22 AM

Odyssey path 2.1-Really good for dirt (used on rear) never rode much esle with them but I was picking up k-lyte versions for $20 so they were worth a shot.

Odyssey ross 2.35-5/10 used on the front, not bad but not good either haha

Odyssey aitken 2.25-What ohio said

Odyssey aitken 2.35 dirt specific-What ohio said although I have never used it outside of dirt

Odyssey aitken 2.45-Fucking stupid. too god damn heavy and rolled like shit-Sold after one ride haha

Maxxis holy roller-Havent used one in years but from what I remember are 7/10 in everything and last a long time, You can also pick them up cheap

Maxxis Rizer 2.3- Love love love this tire. I only have 1ish hours on this (front) but amaing on park and concrete. Cant wait to use it on dirt but looking at the tread and the way it wraps around I don't think I'll be disappointed. Light and rolls fast

Maxxis Grifter 2.1- Retardily light and rolls super fast on concrete, once again just waiting to put it on dirt.

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

2/7/2015 7:30 AM

TOO LONG DIDN'T READ

|

2/7/2015 8:03 AM

I have had a lot of tires. It's gonna be a nice amount of reviews.

Kenda Kontacts, i had these when i first started and theyre literally awful. They never grip, they never have not gotten a flat. I don't ever recommend them. EVER

Odyssey Path Tire, Theyre pretty nice tires, last a long time, and when going fast they make a buzz sound and its awesome. And they are amazingly grippy. They actually have a fair amount of rolling resistence though, and slow you down an lot. The K Lyte is really light and wears out a little faster.

Odyssey Aitken P lyte 2.25 i love this tire. Its fast and grips so well, paired with the Odyssey Path its even better. And its my favorite front tire

Demolition Machete Tires feel like balloons theyre so light and i hate them. They don't grip at all and are horrible and last for literally one minute. Bad tires

Demolition Momentum tires. WORSE than the machetes. They do roll fast but i hate them because they slip out too much

Cult Dehart tires. I had them in black and gum. They grip nice when they break in but wear out too fast and i hate them. They roll fast and get flats sooooo often. I don't recommend them.

Kink Lyra tires, fantastic. They grip sooo well and they roll super fast and have really grippy side parts and actually helped me learn wall rides. I really like them. They last a good amount of time too!

Odyssey Ross tires, Great tires for dirt and street and sometimes park. They have a lot of rolling resistence but once they wear in they actually roll faster. They dont get flats. I have had them in normal and K lyte and they both last a long time. The 2.35 is huge and i love that. They grip a lot and i have never washed out on them, I highly recommend them if you do dirt and street. The keyboard may seem kinda goofy and trendy but it actually looks pretty nice. They last a LONG time.

Odyssey Hawk tires i have only had one in the back at 2.2 and its really really fast and grippy. They stick to concrete like gum to a girls hair. Theyre soooo fast too. I recommend them highly.

Animal GLH tire. I actually don't like this tire. It wore out in 2 months and was stupidly heavy. I don't like the look too much. The only thing they're good for is the rolling resistence and wallrides. And they're real durable too.

Animal MTT tire. I actually like this tire, but it's way too big to function. It has a nice feel because even at 60 it's pretty hard and grips nicely. Bad rolling resistence but if you abuse tires, this thick SOB will monster truck up stairs and be amazing for the trails. It's heavy as fuck but it's not awful. It'd be great for all the hardcore street riders because it is so strong. It wont run out ever.

Sunday Current tires. I haven't owned them but Stocksy has. They don't roll super fast, come in some fun colors, and are just the right size. They grip nicely and are real cheap. I recommend them for people on a budget that want fun tires. They wear out after 3-4 months of riding but you could squeeze some more life out for sure if you don't mind running the middle to the threads.

Donnasqueak tires. Big, heavy, fast rolling, trendy tires that i don't like that much. They're like thicker Dehart tires so theyre obviously more durable. I would recommend them to technical riders that love big tires. I never owned them but i have a friend with them. Idk how long they last but i'm sure probably about 2 times as long as deharts.

Primo WLT tires. I love them, but they aren't the longest lasting tire. The 2.3 is pretty narrow but otherwise they are fast and grippy but you can play with sliding them too.

Primo V Monster 2.25 they are good in the front and maybe the rear if you like to ride lots of dirt. A lot of rolling resistence but really grippy and nice for stuff that requires grip also pretty narrow

Fit T/A tires. I don't like the look, they're pretty darn ugly but function like the Hawk tires. They're sticky and roll forever. Big as fuck and don't last that long. They actually smell bad tho. You won't notice it while riding but if youre in a car on a hot day that rubber compound is pretty fierce. Youll notice it when you buy it too. So theyre definitely sticky and great for technical riding. Makes full cabs easier too

Now for the BEST TIRES EVER

Shadow Valor tires. I rate these 9.5 out of 10. They're fast, grippy, and look sick. They last forever and 2.4 is a hefty and nice feel. the 2.2 isn't as nice just because they made the sidewalls thinner. But if you're buying them, go for 2 2.4s. They slide when you want them to but otherwise are super sticky. I highly recommend them but they are actually 5$ more than most tires. So if you don't like that, go cut a lawn so you can afford them. They last 55% longer than most tires too. Get them, it's the last tire you'll ever need. Trey Jones knew what he was doing when he had these tires designed.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

2/7/2015 8:38 AM

anybody ride Dugan's tires specifically the 2.30? Im thinking about getting that for the front, and a 2.2 hawk in the rear....

CAN WE PLEASE GET THIS THREAD PINNED! I LIKE THE IDEA OF THIS THREAD.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/7/2015 8:53 AM

dkTechEthan wrote:

anybody ride Dugan's tires specifically the 2.30? Im thinking about getting that for the front, and a 2.2 hawk in the rear.... ...more

What do you ride mostly?

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

2/7/2015 9:01 AM

Biggest think I've learned over the years is that a lightweight tire is one of the most important things for a bike. It can completely change the feel of what you're riding. Yes a good lightweight tire is more expensive but you get what you pay for. I have $80 in tires on my bike but combined they only weigh 34 ounces. Hell most of the tires listed (2.3/2.4) are weighing 29oz by themselves. You're just shooting yourself in the foot, unless you're into the whole 1/2 mph foot tall ledge bs. Just my .02

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

2/7/2015 9:01 AM

dkTechEthan wrote:

anybody ride Dugan's tires specifically the 2.30? Im thinking about getting that for the front, and a 2.2 hawk in the rear.... ...more

Ricked_Em wrote:

What do you ride mostly?

asphalt(round my house) park. vert, dirt. I like manuals and foot jams so im very balance oriented. not really into grinding.

saying that i have terrible balance cuz im a beginner hahahaha but yeah.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/7/2015 9:12 AM

dkTechEthan wrote:

asphalt(round my house) park. vert, dirt. I like manuals and foot jams so im very balance oriented. not really into grinding. ...more

21 oz 2.2 and best all around tire for super cheap ($20). I recommend everyone run these at one point or another. They'll make you fall in love with maxxis and step up to some of their more expensive tires (pay for with savings)

http://www.empirebmx.com/maxxis-holy-roller-tire

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

2/7/2015 9:13 AM

Wow. I'll get it all sorted today, I have to get on a computer. Plus alphebatizong

|

2/7/2015 9:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/7/2015 9:42 AM

Odyssey Ross (first gen not the newer ones): Terrible front tire, has horrible grip and will slip out on you in tight corners. It's an ok back tire but I would not trust it in the front. The damn thing slipped out on me too many times so I gave up on it and got other tires. Avoid at all costs.

Fit FAF: Great tire for street/dirt/park. good grip, even in tight corners. Lasts a good amount of time, even with brakes. I've been running mine for 5 months now and they're still good. I ride at least 3 times a week at the skatepark during the winter and they're holding up. Highly recommended.

Animal GLH: Great street/park tire. I never tried it on dirt so I can't speak for it on that terrain. This was my go to tire for years until I decided to try other stuff. Strongly recommended

Sunday Current Tire: Good tire, decent grip but still slips a bit in the corners. Not as good as some others but not terrible. The rubber doesn't grip as well as higher end tires but at least it has a good tread pattern. For the price it is a great tire. Good for street/park/dirt. Recommended if you're on a budget.

Odyssey Path: Good rear tire. Good grip. Works well for street/park/dirt. Can"t speak for it as a front tire but it definitely works well in the rear. I ran this with an Odyssey Aitken in the front and that was a good combination. Recommended for a rear tire.

Odyssey Aitken tire: Good for street/park/dirt. Good grip in the corners, it won't let you down. Strongly recommended.

Out of all of these the FAFs are my personal favorites. Overall most of the tires I have ran were pretty good except the Ross tires which are pieces of shit and the Sunday tires which slipped a bit but they get a pass because they're cheap.

|

2/7/2015 9:59 AM

biggybuggy wrote:

Wow. I'll get it all sorted today, I have to get on a computer. Plus alphebatizong

*alphabetizing

|

2/7/2015 10:04 AM

s&m speedball 2.1: closer to a 2.25 in inflated width, nice tread pattern, doesnt squeak like crazy and grips well, OK durability

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

2/7/2015 10:43 AM

Shadow undertakers- slick as fuck at first, but once they break in they're super grippy. Roll fast, and squeak too

Animal TWW-super smooth, roll fast, grip really well

Cult deharts- I had the gum ones, they were pretty grippy but didn't last that long

Subrosa street diggers-had these a while ago and only ran one pair, so I can't remember exactly how it went. I remember them gripping pretty well

Animal GLH- it's a fucking glh, nuff said

Odyssey chase Hawks- super grippy after they break in, roll super smooth and fast

Eclat control- rolls super fast and rolls nice and smooth

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

2/7/2015 11:01 AM

colors should mentioned. Different colrs are different compounds and wear/grip differently. I'm talking tread of course, not sidewalls

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

2/7/2015 11:13 AM

tomdon wrote:

colors should mentioned. Different colrs are different compounds and wear/grip differently. I'm talking tread of course, not ...more

actual pictures would be good, new and worn, colors as Tom mentioned, and also terrian useage/ranking

example:
STREET 7/10 PARK 5/10 VERT 5/10 DIRT 4/10
Dk Photon Tires: decent tires, not sure on the weight, 75 psi(mine are at least website says 65), good for stock tires. grips decent on concret. decent on dry dirt (mudslide when wet), mounts pretty easily. comes in black, at the moment im using these still, not really able to ride much park or dirt now so i'd say 90%on concrete, no real problems, 5% on park, gripped okay and 5% on dirt, it bit but not always.

http://shop.dkbicycles.com/DK-Photon-Tire-20-2-25/dp/B009CCFEDK?field_availability=-1&field_browse=5828672011&id=DK+Photon+Tire+20+2+25&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchNodeID=5828672011&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/7/2015 11:41 AM

tomdon wrote:

colors should mentioned. Different colrs are different compounds and wear/grip differently. I'm talking tread of course, not ...more

dkTechEthan wrote:

actual pictures would be good, new and worn, colors as Tom mentioned, and also terrian useage/ranking

example:
STREET 7/10 ...more

Im looking for a simple amazon type review system lacking the stars. And color should be noted if it's not the typical black.

|

2/7/2015 5:01 PM

I forgot Hawks...

They look pretty nice and are smooth, and they're really grippy on concrete parks. They're shit on everything else though. Any bit of dirt or gravel will probably make you eat shit. Not as fast as my Aitken/Vela setup, either. Unless you only ride concrete parks, I wouldn't recommend them.

|

2/7/2015 8:35 PM

Eastern burnout tire: Lasted a year of brake sliders with really crappy brakes stopping. Decent tire for the year I had it

Eastern Curbmonkey: Was a great all terrain tire and only got replaced when i bought new tires.

Odyssey path 2.1: I cant really review this tire because the bike it was on was stolen. It worked great for the couple weeks I had it

Hawk 2.2/2.4: Had the 2.2 one in the front on a bike that was stolen. Rode great for street never did any concrete with it. The 2.4 I had for over a year and it was great for everything except concrete parks. It slipped out wayy too much. I was really scared to ride bowls in these because i was afraid of them slipping out.

FAF 2.25: Probably the best tire ive had ever. Lasted over a year of hard shoe breaking and gripped on pretty much everything that it rode.

Cult Deharts 2.35/2.2: They are alright. I really don't like cult but they've been doing me good. They also got a small squaek to them which is nice.

|

2/7/2015 9:59 PM

Ricked_Em wrote:

21 oz 2.2 and best all around tire for super cheap ($20). I recommend everyone run these at one point or another. They'll make ...more

I've seen allotta good stuff about Maxxis, Im actually gonna go for the Rizer's they come in the sizes I wanna run and both will be .5 then what im running now. I'll just save up for them with pennies and stuff and i'll get em as a birthday gift. thanks for the advice rick!

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

2/7/2015 11:52 PM

Fit FAF (2.25 exclusively) is hands down the best tire I've ridden, along with the Fly Ruben Rampara (2.25 only as well). I have bought both brand new since about July last year and they've still got 60% tread at least, not to mention the slides I do in the front and a bunch of other tricks that include sliding the tire some more than usual. The 2.1, 2.3, and 2.4 (new) all use the less aggressive tread, so of course they wear out quicker.

Demolition tires were the WORST ever. Momentum and Machete, regardless of size. One major problem, the THICKNESS. Everyone who has these and hasn't had tread/bead/sidewall problems is just waiting under an imminent threat of a blowout. The tire gets punctured so easily, the sidewalls will blow out if you grind real rough, and the tire in general wears out real quick.

Odyssey Chase Hawk (2.2, 2.4) and Odyssey Aaron Ross (2.1, 2.35) were pretty good. I had them brand new for almost a whole year and they both held up. The front went bald near the end cause I slid so much, but I still expected more from the Hawk. I ended up getting only ONE flat when it went bald.

And yes, I did end up getting over the big tires trend, except that's all I have atm, so I'm currently running a Shadow Valor 2.4 in the front, which is as good as the Chase Hawk's, if not then better. And then I have an FAF 2.25 night vision in the rear, same as any other 2.25 FAF. FAF's will never fail, I just don't understand why some people have them wear out so damn quick from what I've HEARD, not SEEN.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

2/8/2015 6:42 AM

dkTechEthan wrote:

asphalt(round my house) park. vert, dirt. I like manuals and foot jams so im very balance oriented. not really into grinding. ...more

Ricked_Em wrote:

21 oz 2.2 and best all around tire for super cheap ($20). I recommend everyone run these at one point or another. They'll make ...more

dkTechEthan wrote:

I've seen allotta good stuff about Maxxis, Im actually gonna go for the Rizer's they come in the sizes I wanna run and both ...more

I wouldn't hold your breathe on new sizes. Maxxis pretty much comes out with something and it stays that way forever. What size do you want?

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

2/8/2015 7:40 AM

Fit FAF (2.25) Grippy Tire, Good for all types of riding, minimal punctures, fast - 110psi

Primo Dirt Monster : Very grippy, Small sizes, Dirt and Park, Sidewalls thin. No punctures in a year - 60psi

Kink Vela : Fast tire, few punctures when it got bald, Good for Park and Street, Sidewalls hold up - 110psi

Odyssey Aitken 2.25 Great tire, no puncture, Fast, Good for all riding - 110psi

Maxxis Grifter : Super fast tire, No punctures so far, Sounds great if you haul ass on concrete, good sidewalls - 110 psi

|

2/8/2015 7:52 AM

Alienation graffiti folding tire...

PROS:
Cheap
Grippy
Fast
Light
110psi
All round tire for street, park & dirt

CONS:
Don't last long compared to other tires

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

2/8/2015 7:56 AM

Odyssey Frequency G - Love this tire, fast, grippy, and skinny. Made for flatland but I've ridden park and some street and they work great. Good tire if you like 1.75-1.85 sire tires

Odyssey Path - best all around tire. period.

Odyssey Keyboard tires - In my mind, the spiritual successor to the path tires, great all around tire, only wish it came in skinnier sizes.

Haro MS-4 - Underrated, cheap, reliable. Grips well anywhere.

|

It’s all bmx