Tires skinnier than advertised?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/4/2018 11:02 AM

I recently bought a Cult Dehart tire. It looked skinny when I mounted it, so I measured it to be 2.28" instead of the advertised 2.4". Does anyone know why this is?

|

4/4/2018 11:03 AM

VenomousDancer1234 wrote:

I recently bought a Cult Dehart tire. It looked skinny when I mounted it, so I measured it to be 2.28" instead of the ...more

Did you inflate it to the maximum psi?
If you did, you likely bought a tire in 2.25 size by accident, or they shipped you the wrong size.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/4/2018 11:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2018 11:07 AM

What pressure are you running and what is the inner width of your rims? Low pressure will mean your tyres don't inflate to full size and the same for skinnier rims. Also, most tyres I've had have had a "stretching" period, after which the tyres should have reached full size(usually larger than advertised).

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/4/2018 11:07 AM

No. The package said 2.4" and they don't offer the slick in a 2.25. When I purchased the 2.4" the 2.3" was unavailable.

|

4/4/2018 11:08 AM

No. The package said 2.4" and they don't offer the slick in a 2.25. When I purchased the 2.4" the 2.3" was unavailable.

What does it say on the tyre though?

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/4/2018 11:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2018 11:15 AM

I run them at about 100-110psi so there's no reason why the tire is under the advertised width of 2.4". Also, I've been riding on that tire for a few months now. The rims may be the issue, since the max width is 2.4". The tire says 2.4"

|

4/4/2018 11:17 AM

Inflated Size and Advertised Size are two totally different things.

Its pretty stupid, but you have to look at the Inflated Size when shopping for tires. The advertised size means pretty much nothing.

There's 2.25 tires that inflate to 2.4, & 2.4 tires that inflate to 2.25.

Dan's Comp is the best place to check for Inflated Sizes, they're one of few places that actually list it in the specs.

Also keep in mind, as you ride the tire and wear the rubber in, it will kind of loosen up & stretch a bit, making it a bit wider.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

4/4/2018 11:19 AM

I run them at about 100-110psi so there's no reason why the tire is under the advertised width of 2.4". Also, I've been riding ...more

What rims are you running them on? Also, what size does it say on the side of the tyre?

Tyre sizing isn't an exact science at the manufacturing stage; very slight changes in how something is done can result in massive variations in size between each tyre/batch, especially with lightweight tyres like BMX tyres.

Also, why does it matter so much? If they grip well and you're not having any actual problems, why worry about it?

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

4/4/2018 11:22 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Its pretty stupid, but you have to look at the Inflated ...more

Thanks. Lesson learned

|

4/4/2018 12:01 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

What rims are you running them on? Also, what size does it say on the side of the tyre?

Tyre sizing isn't an exact science at ...more

its all about the looks bro

|

4/4/2018 12:52 PM

Surely that's a good thing? Who wants tyres that wide anyway?

|

4/4/2018 12:57 PM

I recently bought a Cult Dehart tire. It looked skinny when I mounted it, so I measured it to be 2.28" instead of the ...more

because you touch yourself

|

It’s all bmx

4/4/2018 12:58 PM

are your calipers iso 9000 certified? can you provide calibration records for said calipers?

|

It’s all bmx

4/4/2018 3:39 PM

Tires are kind of a hit or miss , some 2.25 tires are almost 2.4 , and some 2.3 tires are more like 2.2 .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/4/2018 3:52 PM

Why do you want your bike to be a floatation device ?

|

4/4/2018 7:14 PM

Alright man so the 2 inch platform is kind of bunk. What you look for is inflated diameter or something. Should be anywhere from 54MM-64MM

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

4/4/2018 9:16 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Its pretty stupid, but you have to look at the Inflated ...more

All of these carefully—and appropriately—crafted paragraphs.

|

4/4/2018 9:17 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

And then this one, too.

|

4/5/2018 12:34 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

GMGuinn wrote:

And then this one, too.

You're welcome smile

|