To Z or not to Z?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/22/2017 9:49 AM

I’m considering building a Z Coaster wheel cause having a freecoaster that skips is very annoying and I’ve heard nothing bad about the Z Coaster. Let us discuss

|

10/22/2017 9:52 AM

Only bad thing about a zcoaster is the price. If you can afford it, get it.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

10/22/2017 10:01 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Only bad thing about a zcoaster is the price. If you can afford it, get it.

I don’t mind saving up for one cause it’s Profile and I trust basically everything they make to last me forever

|

10/22/2017 10:58 AM

I just got an elite titaniumed out , I’m so stoked on it , can’t go wrong with profile get the z coaster

|

10/22/2017 11:07 AM

eskimojay wrote:

I just got an elite titaniumed out , I’m so stoked on it , can’t go wrong with profile get the z coaster

Damn full titanium that’s like $130 worth of upgrades isn’t it?

|

10/22/2017 11:35 AM

What do you mean, "a freecoaster that skips"?

I ordered one just a few days ago, hoping it's as good as I've heard.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

10/22/2017 11:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/22/2017 11:54 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

Well since a freecoaster is a much more complex hub than a cassette, there’s more that can go wrong. Skipping is when your clutch fails to catch resulting in extra slack when pedaling. When the clutch catches it’s all good but you know how sometimes you pedal and it’s not like fully smooth? Like there’s a slight stutter in the pedaling motion? That’s when you really notice the skipping. It doesn’t happen to everyone and it doesn’t make the bike unrideable but it’s a small annoyance. It’s usually an axle issue that can be solved by just replacing the axle but it is what it is you know? You just have to be more cautious when you pedal if you have a skipping hub. It’s just a small kink in the mechanics of a freecoaster. Mine started skipping after a year so that should tell you how long it takes for the hub to actually start having problems which is pretty average life for any hub

|

10/22/2017 1:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/22/2017 1:44 PM

PapiChuloDru wrote:

Well since a freecoaster is a much more complex hub than a cassette, there’s more that can go wrong. Skipping is when your ...more

It's far from complex, just a different way of doing things with a few more moving parts.

What you're describing is when the ball bearings that hold the clutch get flat-spotted or the inside of the clutch gets worn out. I have only had that happen on a 3 or 4 year old hub that was worn out by the previous owner, probably due to lack of maintenance and I just replaced the clutch and ball bearings and it was perfect. Sold that hub almost 2 years ago and it's still going strong. There's absolutely no need to replace the axle, you just replace the clutch and retention balls and it's fine. It's not a kink in the design or anything of the sort, it's just something wearing out from lack of proper maintenance...

If a coaster hub is maintained correctly, I'd be surprised to see most people wear one out inside of 5 years!

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

10/22/2017 1:24 PM

I've had mine for two years and all I had to do is grease it.

|

10/22/2017 2:09 PM

eskimojay wrote:

PapiChuloDru wrote:

Damn full titanium that’s like $130 worth of upgrades isn’t it?

More then that when it’s in Canadian too

|

10/22/2017 2:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/22/2017 2:35 PM

eskimojay wrote:

More then that when it’s in Canadian too

No price is too high when you’re looking to shave every last gram you can laughing

|

10/22/2017 2:38 PM

PapiChuloDru wrote:

No price is too high when you’re looking to shave every last gram you can laughing

Because we all know it's that last 3 grams of bike weight that's keeping that 230# rider from pulling feeble grinds.

|

10/22/2017 5:29 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Because we all know it's that last 3 grams of bike weight that's keeping that 230# rider from pulling feeble grinds.

You’re damn right it’s those 3 grams lmao

|

10/23/2017 7:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/23/2017 8:33 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

PapiChuloDru wrote:

Well since a freecoaster is a much more complex hub than a cassette, there’s more that can go wrong. Skipping is when your ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

It's far from complex, just a different way of doing things with a few more moving parts.

What you're describing is when the ...more

I was literally going to post the same thing.

It "skipping" is purely based on the balls catching inside the clutch-which if correctly maintained takes YEARS.

Alternately having the parts internally incorrect-like the washers in the wrong spot would cause too much slack which would prevent the clutch from catching/threading in correctly.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/23/2017 7:10 AM

if you got the money its definitely worth the buy, hell wish i could afford to get one

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

10/23/2017 8:54 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I was literally going to post the same thing.

It "skipping" is purely based on the balls catching inside the clutch-which if ...more

So if I replace the balls it should be fine? Where would I even get those and how would I do that?

|

10/23/2017 9:08 AM

Check the manufactures web site they should offer a parts replacement kit, also sites like Danscomp offer replacement kits as well if its a popular and common freecoaster. Most these days are built with KHE internals and use the same generic system so you could get away with using one of their replacement kits.

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

10/23/2017 12:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/23/2017 12:50 PM

PapiChuloDru wrote:

So if I replace the balls it should be fine? Where would I even get those and how would I do that?

Check the inside of the clutch where the ball bearings contact, if there's obvious wear in it, you'll need to replace that as well, otherwise, just the ball bearings will do. If you're running a straight-up KHE clone, these are the ones you're looking for: http://www.empirebmx.com/freecoaster-ball-spring-kit .

Maintain your parts and actually look into how to maintain them properly and your bike will run smoother, for longer, at less cost and effort than if you have to replace worn out parts all the time. Most BMX parts are built to take a massive amount of abuse, so if you just keep them running clean and smooth, they'll last a very, very long time.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

10/24/2017 9:41 AM

I went through this a month ago. I decided on the Clutch V2. its 1/2 the cost and i couldn't find a bad thing said about it. I love the external slack adjustment as opposed to buying different rings and installing. also, it was easy to find people who had one to ride and feel.

The only real complain i had heard about the profile performance wise was people saying it had a lot of drag. Same story you hear about Elites and i never thought the drag in my race Elites was a worry.

|

10/24/2017 10:22 AM

UPDATE: turns out the lock nut on my Coaster was loose and tightening it seems to have fixed the skipping issue as of now so the Z Coaster build will be a little less rushed for now grin

|

10/24/2017 10:25 AM

jmz313 wrote:

I went through this a month ago. I decided on the Clutch V2. its 1/2 the cost and i couldn't find a bad thing said about it. I ...more

I’ve heard a lot about the Clutch. I might get one if I can find one used while I work on saving up for the Z Coaster build cause I don’t really like my Cult hub it feels like a ton of bricks and almost everyone else’s coasters I’ve felt don’t feel nearly as heavy as mine

|

10/24/2017 11:39 AM

PapiChuloDru wrote:

I’ve heard a lot about the Clutch. I might get one if I can find one used while I work on saving up for the Z Coaster build ...more

The Clutch is very nice, I've been riding a V1 for nearly 2 years with absolutely no problems. Of all of the clutch-type freecoasters on the market, it's the only one I would say has come close to being completely flawless. You should never be able to get the 'skipping' problem with an Odyssey Clutch as instead of the ball bearings that hold the clutch, there's a preloaded plastic bushing that is near enough impossible to wear out.

The Cult coaster sucks in my experience but it's just about the same weight as most coasters out there. What rim and tyre are you running? It's far more likely a combination of those than just the hub.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

10/24/2017 11:43 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

The Clutch is very nice, I've been riding a V1 for nearly 2 years with absolutely no problems. Of all of the clutch-type ...more

It’s most likely the rim and tire. The freecoaster came as a stock wheel from Cult so whatever the Cult rim is (pretty sure it’s called the Match rim) and I have some Shadow Valor tires. 60psi version if that matters any

|