To bother with BB spacer

Related:
Create New Tag

8/8/2015 3:14 AM

Do people bother with BB spacers or not? I don't see the point.

|

8/8/2015 4:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/8/2015 4:49 AM

Yes, prevents premature side wear on the bearings. It helps let the cranks spin freely as well so if you're into crankflips or just nice pedalling then I highly suggest it.

|

8/8/2015 4:49 AM

Yes.

Always use the spacer. (If the correct length) It provides a solid connection from one crank arm to the other through the bearing races, which means the bearings can share side loads (so they last longer) and it stops the bearing inner races slowly moving closer together and allowing the arms to come loose.

smile
G.

|

8/8/2015 4:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/8/2015 4:58 AM

Gsport George wrote:

Yes.

Always use the spacer. (If the correct length) It provides a solid connection from one crank arm to the other through ...more

Your second sentence in parentheses still gets me... Why has the bmx industry not standardized a BB width yet? There's always a need to throw one or more thin spacers in along with the tube spacers, makes installation a hassle. I guess as tires get wider and rear ends get shorter, you need a wider BB to fit the chainstays to.

|

8/8/2015 5:32 AM

Gsport George wrote:

Yes.

Always use the spacer. (If the correct length) It provides a solid connection from one crank arm to the other through ...more

Oddity wrote:

Your second sentence in parentheses still gets me... Why has the bmx industry not standardized a BB width yet? There's always ...more

We have. It's what FBM specified when they first created the Mid BB.

This works with a 51.4 spacer tube and that's the size that should come with any good Mid BB kit.

Unfortunately not all brands stick to it. Spanish obviously hung around like a bad smell for a surprisingly long time and even now with Mid about 15 years old, some companies will still do a different width.

smile
G.

|

8/8/2015 6:34 AM

guess that settles it then.

|

8/8/2015 12:55 PM

A standardized BB width wouldn't eliminate the need for spacers without a standardized width for crankarm bosses, spindles, and chainrings too.

...Oh I wrote this about spacers.. Which is what a spindle sleeve is, but i misread which spacers you were reffering to. I usually get a longer spindle sleeve and cut it to length.

|