To tall for my bike?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/1/2020 3:02 PM

Im pretty much as new as it gets when it comes to bmx riding although I have done some basic things such as dropping into quarters and small hips and I can't help but notice when ever I see a video of my self I look waay to big for my bike and frankly goofy since I have such skinny legs and big feet. Many of my friends say I don't look right on a bmx, I'm roughly 6 ft tall and the bike I am on has a 20.5" tt. Is it normal to feel this way and is it a huge deal if the bike is too small?

Photo

|

11/1/2020 3:32 PM

some people are as tall as you and run smaller bikes and some ride bigger bikes. the main question is: are you comfortable on your bike as it is now? if you are and there are no back pains or any other pains then there is no need to worry about how you look on your bike.

|

11/1/2020 3:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/1/2020 3:59 PM

I agree. Comfort is the factor that should be given the most consideration with how you look falling somewhere between “doesn’t matter”, and “who gives a shit”. The same goes for safety equipment. Nobody ever argued that helmets and pads make a guy look cool, but I am of the belief that if you are out doing tricks/riding ramps/etc., they are a necessity because wheel chairs, colostomy bags, or needing help to wipe your own ass doesn’t look very cool either.

For me, I’d love to be one of the cool kids on a 20” BMX again, and plenty of people have told me that a 21”+ top tube would make it work for me. The reality is though, that I am a 40 year old guy who is medically disabled due to rheumatoid arthritis, I am 6’02” tall, and I weigh 300 pounds. I feel entirely out of place on a 20” bike, and the 22.5” top tube on my 24” bike gives me just enough room to feel comfortable. Still, I needed taller bars for the bike to feel just right, and I had to judge for myself what feels best to me.

If you are being honest with yourself, do YOU feel comfortable on your bike? If not, I would make whatever changes you need to make in order to keep riding whether that means swapping parts or swapping bikes altogether.

|

“Don’t quote me boy cuz I ain’t said shit” - Ghandi

11/1/2020 5:31 PM

Being 6' tall on a 20" bmx is gonna look cramped, but the only one who can say if it's too small is you. Though your photo does look like you're riding a bike for a younger/smaller youth, what model is it (crank length looks short, and bars seem shorter than modern trends... might just be the blurry photo though)?

Two questions that might help:

Do you feel like you are going over the bars when you land, or kneeing the stem? If so, longer TT or longer stem will help. Or just tilt the bars a bit to test it.

Do you feel like you're holding your knees and losing control of the bars because of it? If so, taller bars / lower BB / taller stem, etc.

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?
Instagram: @theothermaj

11/1/2020 5:41 PM

It's a scooter frame to start with..

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

11/1/2020 7:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/1/2020 7:59 PM

I wont get technical , but who cares what others say how you look! Im 45 years old , 5 '9' and 220 lbs. Couldn't care less how others view me on my bike. I got it for me. Don't say that in a cocky way, but I feel good and happy on my bike. Is the person or people telling you , you look goofy or whatever, paying your bills? Did they pay for your bike? obviously not and Im being dramatic, but you get the picture. Once you reach a certain age, you tend to care less about "fitting in" or being "cool". Just ride what makes you feel good. That's the reason we all ride Bmx after all.

|

11/1/2020 8:53 PM

Vic707b wrote:

I wont get technical , but who cares what others say how you look! Im 45 years old , 5 '9' and 220 lbs. Couldn't care less how ...more

Haha so true about aging and not giving a fuck what others think. Totally liberating.

|

11/1/2020 9:45 PM

Vic707b wrote:

I wont get technical , but who cares what others say how you look! Im 45 years old , 5 '9' and 220 lbs. Couldn't care less how ...more

This.

when I was younger I used to be more self conscious of how I looked. Probably held back progression as I was worried about looking stupid to people who I haven’t even thought about in >20 years.

Not giving AF and riding for your own enjoyment is liberating.

|

11/2/2020 5:44 AM

Have Fun, Ride Bikes DGAF

|

Husky Nation Member

11/2/2020 3:41 PM

Helllll yeah if it feels good then rock it! Tell your friends they don’t look good staring from the sidelines, they need to ride more

|

11/2/2020 7:51 PM

Your posture will change as you get more confident and relaxed on the bike

|