Told I was "too big"

Related:
Create New Tag

8/6/2016 9:06 AM

Just turned 26. I'm 5'10 approx 210-215. I ride a 20.75. I was recently told by someone that I was "too big to be riding a kids bike." I didn't really know how to respond to that, so I simply ignored it at that time, but now it's sort of been on my mind a bit. Am I really too big to be riding these kind of bikes? Has anyone else here ever been told this?

|

8/6/2016 9:21 AM

nahhhhhhh man. youre good. i know a few people that are bigger than you and loads of people that aare older than you.

and im pretty sure thats something everyone hears at some point lol

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

8/6/2016 10:22 AM

Lol, some 7 or 8 year old said to me as I was riding by yesterday, "you're on a tiny bike" in like a snotty tone, then he fell off his bike and just left it and ran off.

The person that told you that I'm guessing is a grade A sheep that hates his/her life and doesn't pursue the things he/she wants because he/she is scared of what others think. There will be critics when it comes to ANYTHING you do. Anyone who has gotten good at anything has been given shit for doing it by some asshole... you just gotta brush em off.

|

8/6/2016 10:27 AM

If you're talking about being adult riding a BMX in general, happens quite a bit. I just say "I don't like riding bikes if I can't touch the ground".

If you're talking about your actual size I've ridden with dudes quite a bit bigger than you that were really good and more nimble with better balance than my skinny ass

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

8/6/2016 10:40 AM

I'm 35, recently had a fall out with my older brother because he made a few digs about me still riding bmx. Fuck em. It really doesn't matter at the end of the day. How can anyone judge what other people should be doing based on their age? What are we supposed to do? Follow all the boring sport in a bar with the lads? There's people older than us still doing things they'd be considered too old for. People in their 40's still getting tattoos and living for the weekend, going to raves etc. Does it matter?

Or do you mean literally? Maybe try a 21" toptube wink

|

8/6/2016 12:05 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I'm 35, recently had a fall out with my older brother because he made a few digs about me still riding bmx. Fuck em. It really ...more

No, I mean my weight, not so much my age. Lol I don't want to seem like I'm being a little sensitive sissy or anything. I was just wondering if there were other riders out there who were big guys like myself. A lot of the time, it's the skinny dudes or kids you see riding these kind of bikes.

|

8/6/2016 12:27 PM

Robbie Morales did a feeble manual across a skatepark to foot plant tailwhip a bank , and he's not skinny by any means , I'm sure you're fine

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/6/2016 2:47 PM

Fair! Same attitude really. I know a guy about the same weight as you, probably more. If you enjoy riding, ride. That's all that matters!

|

8/6/2016 8:08 PM

Took her out tonight for the first time. Rode around the neighborhood. Loved it! I have to invest in some brakes though. Going downhill is fun, but also quite frightening without brakes lol

|

8/6/2016 8:44 PM

If youre having fun then who gives a fuck what people say.

|

8/6/2016 9:43 PM

Hi, i'm a new forum member, but im a long time vital reader - somebody will always talk sh*t - back in the days- when I was riding flatland an old woman used to shoutout of the window that I look like a monkey - people are people ...

|

8/7/2016 12:22 AM

love it when people say that to me

|

8/7/2016 7:44 AM

vie4130 wrote:

Hi, i'm a new forum member, but im a long time vital reader - somebody will always talk sh*t - back in the days- when I was ...more

grin
|

8/7/2016 4:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/7/2016 4:51 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I'm 35, recently had a fall out with my older brother because he made a few digs about me still riding bmx. Fuck em. It really ...more

Firebrand wrote:

No, I mean my weight, not so much my age. Lol I don't want to seem like I'm being a little sensitive sissy or anything. I was ...more

Heck, I've heard it multiple times. I even have heard it from my wife (although she was likely joking). Just ride what you like and enjoy it man.

I'm about the same size, four years older, and I still enjoy riding all the time!

|

8/7/2016 6:08 PM

I am pretty much your dimensions, and have been riding off and on since 1976. I am 47 now. I feel sorry for the ...sheep...as someone else put ti extremely well, that feel like "being and adult" means being "shut in"....I get that all the time...usually from some schlub sitting there with a beer and a "Murica belly" as I call it yelling form their front porch or yard. So sad....

ride like a mo-fo, and always remember that if you spend time worrying about what others think about you, you ARE NOT spending time thinking about what YOU think about you.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

8/7/2016 7:08 PM

My boss laughs at me for riding bmx.
He says they are for kids. (im 28).
Its whatever.

|

8/7/2016 8:28 PM

I'm an adult, 5' 10" and was about your weight up until a year ago. I've been working on trimming the fat. But I ride bmx with my son around the park - and yes, I get a bunch of odd looks. A few laughs. I don't really care - what the bigger problem is to ride for an hour straight is TOUGH bc I can't sit on the bike! (i can sorts sit but then pedaling isn't an option) So standing and pedaling for an hour - whew, out of shape. I bought a 26" wheel hybrid bike for next time.

I bought a pretty robust chromoly bike but bc I'm standing the whole time, I hear some creaking from the pedals on occasion. My neighbor's tiny 7 year old daughter wanted to try my purple bike. She too had to stand the whole time, but she was able to ride it (though not stop) ok. That made me feel a bit more silly, but I've gone through life not really caring what others think.

|

8/7/2016 9:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/7/2016 9:45 PM

Norville wrote:

I'm an adult, 5' 10" and was about your weight up until a year ago. I've been working on trimming the fat. But I ride bmx with ...more

I've had the same issue. I went approx 2.5 miles tonight standing up. I can't sit on the bike and pedal. It's impossible for me, so I stand. It's a good leg workout though. I come home and they're on fire and I'm sweating to death.. And yeah I heard creaking in my pedals on my way home tonight. I thought "that didn't sound good"

|

8/7/2016 10:05 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

I am pretty much your dimensions, and have been riding off and on since 1976. I am 47 now. I feel sorry for the ...sheep...as ...more

Thats right. Caring about what others think about you keeps people from enjoying life. I'm not going to let a little comment like that stop me. Riding is relaxing, It keeps me active and I love it. That's all that matters.

|

8/8/2016 7:14 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Robbie Morales did a feeble manual across a skatepark to foot plant tailwhip a bank , and he's not skinny by any means , I'm ...more

There's a heavy set dude like Robbie that does backflips too, I can't remember his name at the moment but anyways big dudes can shred too it doesn't matter. Some people just don't get what bmx is about and decide to ridicule those who do. It's best to ignore them just ride your bike and have a good time, thats what bmx is about.

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

8/8/2016 7:36 AM

Firebrand wrote:

I've had the same issue. I went approx 2.5 miles tonight standing up. I can't sit on the bike and pedal. It's impossible for ...more

That creaking sound is because your spindle isn't greased up. Put some grease on it and the sound will stop. I've had this issue a bunch of times before and it is so annoying.

|

Fo' pegs or no pegs

8/8/2016 8:28 AM

Norville wrote:

I'm an adult, 5' 10" and was about your weight up until a year ago. I've been working on trimming the fat. But I ride bmx with ...more

Firebrand wrote:

I've had the same issue. I went approx 2.5 miles tonight standing up. I can't sit on the bike and pedal. It's impossible for ...more

Slaytanic Wehrmacht 666 wrote:

That creaking sound is because your spindle isn't greased up. Put some grease on it and the sound will stop. I've had this ...more

Will do, thanks!

|

8/8/2016 11:03 AM

Firebrand wrote:

Just turned 26. I'm 5'10 approx 210-215. I ride a 20.75. I was recently told by someone that I was "too big to be riding a ...more

6 feet tall and 250 lbs.

Been riding for 17 years.

No you aren't unless you don't feel comfortable or enjoy it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/8/2016 5:13 PM

Firebrand wrote:

Just turned 26. I'm 5'10 approx 210-215. I ride a 20.75. I was recently told by someone that I was "too big to be riding a ...more

im 15 and 6'0 and ride a 21" whoever said that's a fuckin idiot

|

8/8/2016 6:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/8/2016 6:09 PM

Seriously, screw that person, and people with that dismissive attitude.

They're either:
1. Miserable bastards who are judgmental about everything,
2. If they ride a bike at all, haven't gotten their ass up off the seat since they were a kid,
3. Nervous about not conforming. They expect to see the same old weighty, bulky pseudo-mountain bike things they walk by at Walmart.

They usually don't understand the physical benefit of something smaller & lighter, cause they can't handle it. They'd probably criticize a sports-car driver for not having a bigger car, not getting how amazing it is to have the control you get.

People like this are the worst.

|

Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green

8/8/2016 7:49 PM

...and now that I think about it, I get more weird looks for what I am trying to do on the bike, not the bike itself. Pretty much everybody tells me that I am crazy for riding park, or wanting to try to bunny hop curbs or learn 180's.

I get the whole "dude, just go get a cruiser and bike the paved trails" stuff. "You are too old to be jumping over things on your bike"...no freakin' way!!! I get the same reaction to my mountain biking

As I have said before...you are only as old as you let yourself be

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

8/9/2016 8:44 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

...and now that I think about it, I get more weird looks for what I am trying to do on the bike, not the bike itself. Pretty ...more

Just turned 40 and you just made me realize the weird looks I get from the neighbors is probably because I'm always hopping something or jumping off curb cuts.

There's a guy I see on almost a daily basis walking his dog's in the morning. We always say hello and sometimes chat. This passed sunday morning he walked by while I was hopping stuff in the paved playground at the school and he looked at me like I was nut's... Wouldn't say a word. Looked away like he saw something he wasn't supposed to. Saw him again the next day and he said good morning like nothing happened. I think he thinks he discovered my dirty little secret or something! ha! Gotta ride by his place more often. tongue

|

8/9/2016 2:24 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Robbie Morales did a feeble manual across a skatepark to foot plant tailwhip a bank , and he's not skinny by any means , I'm ...more

bmxer_yoshi wrote:

There's a heavy set dude like Robbie that does backflips too, I can't remember his name at the moment but anyways big dudes ...more

Micah Kranz, he's bigger than Robbie but shreds

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/10/2016 11:42 AM

I'm 46 5'9" 210-220 no one has ever said a word to me. I purposely tell people I ride bmx to get a reaction and I never get one.

|