Tool Talk, or, lets talk tools.

Related:
Create New Tag

4/3/2018 7:30 AM

Howdy boys,

We finally got a good weekend of weather here in NYC and I took full advantage, spending most of the day Saturday on my bike between the park and my own sorta secret spot.

Since this was the first real day-long ride on the new bike, I figured I'd toss a couple tools into a small roll-up pouch I have and take off. Just in case anything comes loose from initial assembly.

I had:

1 ratchet w/ 9" extension
1 17mm socket
1 15mm socket
1 6mm Hex socket
1 8mm Hex socket
Small craftsman ratcheting hex/socket tool (I probably didn't need this, but I figured whatever)
1 larger adjustable wrench
1 smaller adjustable wrench

I didn't pay much mind to how much it all weighed until this morning when I went to grab my smaller bag for work and nearly yanked my shoulder out of the socket. This shit is way too heavy to carry around, and it's kinda disorganized.

So basically I'd like to know if anyone either owns the Shadow Multi-Tool or the Animal Kotulak tool. I've heard these are both the main contenders as far as all-in-ones go and I plan on riding for many many hours this summer. I need something compact, convenient, and light.

Thoughts? Experiences? Both are pretty similarly priced, so I'd like to go with whichever gets me the most for my money.

Thanks!

Shadow:
Photo

Animal:
Photo

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/3/2018 7:38 AM

Buy whatever has what you need in it. Basically take into account all the sizes you have and find a tool that has everything you need. Both of my wheels are 17mm with 15mm cone in the front and 17mm cone in the back, so my odyssey travel tool works perfect for me

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/3/2018 8:20 AM

Good thread. I too had the luxury of carrying around several tools this past weekend. My back wheel is not "slammed" and has some play in it, if it comes loose. (2018 Mongoose L100)

Until I either remove a link/replace a link with a half link (is that even possible?) or replace the whole chain, I'm going to have that problem. Maybe a multi-tool could be the solution for now...

|

4/3/2018 8:31 AM

For me I have a 1/4 ratchet with a 5 in his extension and a 6mm on the end, I also carry a chain tool. If I'm going out all day I also have a mini pump and I will take a tube with me.

|

Hmmm

4/3/2018 8:35 AM

dead goon wrote:

Good thread. I too had the luxury of carrying around several tools this past weekend. My back wheel is not "slammed" and has ...more

The solution to your problem
|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

4/3/2018 8:41 AM

dead goon wrote:

Good thread. I too had the luxury of carrying around several tools this past weekend. My back wheel is not "slammed" and has ...more

Yeah, I figured but just haven't had a second to look into it since this weekend and I never buy something without extensive research. Thank you, Sir.

Now, I just need a chain breaker lol.

|

4/3/2018 8:45 AM

dead goon wrote:

dead goon wrote:

Yeah, I figured but just haven't had a second to look into it since this weekend and I never buy something without extensive ...more

I'd buy both sizes since they're cheap, and you never know if you end up having to buy a different size chain to use.

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

4/3/2018 9:15 AM

I've got the DK Random Wrench V1, and it is bulky. Then I have a couple separate Allen and a crescent wrench. I use a backpack for pads/beverages/tools/locks etc though.

I want to slim down to just a couple basics. Since I am not out for very long at a time anymore it is usually the 6mm allen and my phone tripod for filming.

Pads are on me.

I want to snag up the Odyssey tool that just came out not too long ago. I think that would cover just about everything but a lock.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/3/2018 9:23 AM

A friend of mine snapped the socket adapter the day he bought the animal one. He probably over torqued it because he's a bit of a mong.

I have a topeak multi tool with a 5.5mm allen key on it I stole from another multi tool. A big park tools 8mm allen key and a park tools chain tool. That can do pretty much everything I'll need to that can go wrong whilst riding. They, along with spare links, are always in my bag (so I can't forget them). And I sometimes take a spare tube and hand pump if I think I'll need em.

|

4/3/2018 9:52 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm thinking I may go with the Shadow version. Odyssey tool is cool, but I want something substantial and I like Shadow's stuff. The Kotulak I like, but it has one fewer wrench in it and the Shadow has a bottle opener.

|

4/3/2018 10:01 AM

i really like the odyssey tool thing they sell its really nice if you ride all sunday/ odyssey parts but only thing i could use was the socket on it because its a 17 and the bolts on my bike are all 18 lol but other than that i recommend the odyssey one

|

4/3/2018 10:04 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm thinking I may go with the Shadow version. Odyssey tool is cool, but I want something ...more

He chose the shadow over everything else because of a bottle opener.
Why do companies not know how big a deal a bottle opener makes?
Honestly though, I never even need a bottle opener because I can open bottles with my hands (including the non twist tops), I have some serious calluses though...

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

4/3/2018 10:12 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

Why do companies not know how big a deal a bottle opener ...more

Hahahha, I fell for marketing. Sue me.

But truthfully, I really trust Shadow's stuff. Everything they make feels and works like it was thoughtfully engineered. Not knocking Animal at all, but for $5 more I get a 10mm wrench and a bottle opener laughing

I usually use a lighter or my spokes to open bottles, but really this was just about getting the most in the smallest package.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a mini pump? that's something that I'll most likely need here.

|

4/3/2018 10:15 AM

Tools, you say? Well, there is this one guy on here, goes by the name 'TheDar... Oh, right. That's not what this thread is about at all. tongue

Kidding aside, there's no need to carry most of that. Just what you need to get your wheels off, to true them, to adjust your stem, to tighten your cranks and to repair your chain. I only carry a 17mm spanner(pegless), a 6mm Allen key, a spoke key and a chainbreaker; it's never failed me.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/3/2018 10:19 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm thinking I may go with the Shadow version. Odyssey tool is cool, but I want something ...more

HavokDJ wrote:

Why do companies not know how big a deal a bottle opener ...more

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Hahahha, I fell for marketing. Sue me.

But truthfully, I really trust Shadow's stuff. Everything they make feels and works ...more

I can't help you on that one sadly, I pretty much never get flats, and I use an air compressor for my tires.

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

4/3/2018 6:28 PM

Photo

|

It’s all bmx

4/3/2018 6:49 PM

adamnmexican wrote: Photo

Believe it or not, but there really is such thing as a metric crescent wrench. An English wrench will have a side length of 1/2 inches, while a metric will have a length of 13mm. Petty I know, but that’s how it works.

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

4/3/2018 8:04 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Howdy boys,

We finally got a good weekend of weather here in NYC and I took full advantage, spending most of the day Saturday ...more

The problem eith the tools you pictured are they have seperate parts. If youre looking at a multitool for grab and go, you want it all connected, imo. I dont knkw about everyone else but I lose little stuff ALL THE TIME! lol

Those little bits will be gone and while they are easy enough to replace, you dont want to find out youre missing your 6mm when you are out and about.

I recommend the Odyssey travel tool, not just because I own one or love most Odyssey products but because its super useful decent build quality and mostly everything you need when you are riding.

It comes with a 17mm pedal wrench that you can relace the pre-installed 15mm wrench with. I personally think its best to keep the 15mm on though. It is more usefull when riding with friends that have 15mm front axle bolts and most pedals i have had experience with use 15mm wrrench flats anyway. The Odyssey grandstands use 17mm wrenches but you can use the 6mm allen hole on the back of the axle to get them decently tight (check before each ride).

Anyway, you would still need a chainbreaker, pump, tubes, spoke wrench, spokes, etc. Anyway if you want to be actually prepared for things to go wrong.

I carry wax, extra peices of chain, chainbreaker, odyssey tool, tire levers, tubes, a small container of small screws/bolts/springs/misc.things, hand pump, bike lock, and a few wrenches for adjusting my brakes. Probably some things I forgot to mention but thats what i carry if I travel far/all day or if I drive to a spot rather than ride.

I take this if I am just riding from my house 5-10mins away. Just a phillips (pretty much useless for bmx, t25 torx (again), 3mm-6mm allens. Photo

Photo

If I ride anything more than 10mins away I bring my odyssey tool. It usually rides in a jacket pocket or back pants pocket.

Hope this info/personal experience helped in some way.

|