Toolkits/Multi-Tools

Related:
Create New Tag

5/5/2018 5:06 PM

As i cant ride for a little while I think that i am going to be putting a riding bag together, the first thing to be done is the toolkit or multi tool so i am looking for any reccomendations people have.

I am also considering making my own toolkit just by buying the tools and keeping them in a small bag or something.

|

Hmmm

5/5/2018 6:07 PM

Edman123 wrote:

As i cant ride for a little while I think that i am going to be putting a riding bag together, the first thing to be done is ...more

You talking like full kit or trying to pack lite bare essentials?

Full kit:
-Odyssey travel tool
-Odyssey chainbreaker
-Extra Tubes
-Extra part of chain to replace broken/damaged links
-tire sealant (for quick fixes)
-wax
-hand pump
-bike lock/chain

I also carry a little box of extra pins for my pedals, small allens little bolts and nuts, odds and ends in case something weird breaks or needs adjustment.

When I pack light and still plan on doing tricks I carry just wax and the odyssey travel tool or if I am just traveling and not really intending to do any trickery, I just carry a single 6mm or a pocket friendly 2mm-6mm multitool.

The Odyssey travel tool is pretty awesome if you or your friends ride pegs. If not, any allen multitool and a small wrench for your axle bolts/nuts will do.

JLfkh3Ovy9puN367bR37CBU25i_pDUaAiAzEALw_wcB

https://m.ebay.com/itm/ODYSSEY-TRAVEL-8-IN-1-BLACK-BICYCLE-TOOL/192281950310?epid=781252521&hash=item2cc4e5b866:g:ZIcAAOSwxzBZl3K0

|

5/5/2018 10:06 PM

Depends on what you can handle. For a ride I always have a chain breaker, a few extra links, a tube, a CO2 pump IF I will be no where near anywhere I can fill a tire, 17mm socket, MTB multitool (trust me much better than a BMX) and a spoke wrench. It pretty much covers the whole thing repair wise. But, if you can’t true a wheel at all...don’t need a spoke wrench. Just an example of what I mean by “what you can handle”.

|

5/6/2018 12:34 AM

It depends what you need really. But i find carrying a couple of allen keys is a lot lighter than those big multi tools. I've got a small moded topeak multi tool, 6mm and 8mm allen keys, a chain tool, spare links, and a spoke key. I can do everything on my bike with those (apart from remove/install my bb, but how often does that happen on a ride?). I sometimes take a tube and a pump too. But I know the manager of a local bike shop so figure if I get a flat I'll just go there.

I also have a padded bag for my gopro, and a little tripod. All these things, along with a lock and wax, live constantly in a bag I've dedicated to riding. So I can just pick it up and know I've got everything.

|

5/6/2018 7:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/6/2018 7:49 AM

@grumpySteve yeah thats why im open to building one, a ratchet with an extension and a 6mm head on the end could take my whole bike apart except for the sprocket bolt. Add a chainbreaker and a spoke key and that will be most likely better than a multitool. The only reason i havent is because i dont want to buy crap quality tools and have them break when im miles from home.

@Bulletpup Sorry for the late reply i just slept like 13 hours lol, anyway if I dont have good luck with the small toolkit i will definetly get one of those odyssey tools. The main thing i was worride about was the quality of the socket since it looks kind of flimsy but now that i hear it works for you i am sure it would work for almost anyone.

@Gack2000 Last time i had a mountain bike multi tool (I think it was a park tool I-Beam or something like that) the only things i could use on my bmx was the 6mm allen key and the chain tool, i need something to take my whole bike apart ideally which is why im leaning somewhere in between build a small kit or the odyssey tool/ maybe a smaller kit alongside it. As for what i can handle i built my entire bike, including lacing the wheels but i would never try that out in the streets.

Edit: just ordered an animal loud backpack and a tall order pocket socket, i would have went for the odyssey but the tall order tool does everything i need it too and was $27 cheaper which is almost the full US price of the odyssey tool lol.

PS: Over this weekend until monday Source is having a sale where everything is at least 15% off and i just got a backpack at 57% off so take a look for deals.

|

Hmmm

5/7/2018 8:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/7/2018 8:37 AM

Edman123 wrote:

As i cant ride for a little while I think that i am going to be putting a riding bag together, the first thing to be done is ...more

By far the best multitool is the CrankBrothers M19. It has about 80% of everything you would need to rebuild a bike. It is well worth its $34 price tag. Also you won't need to carry around hex keys anymore.

|

5/7/2018 9:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/7/2018 9:32 AM

I really like my Odyssey tool.... has everything I need except for a 2.5mm Allen for my intigrated chain tensioners... and with that, I carry a 2.5mm allen, a chain braker, and my spoke wrench...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

5/7/2018 9:53 AM

VenomousDancer1234 wrote:

By far the best multitool is the CrankBrothers M19. It has about 80% of everything you would need to rebuild a bike. It is ...more

the multi tool i ordered can take my entire bike apart except for the chain where this would basically be like a really bulky 6mm if i had it

|

Hmmm

5/7/2018 10:51 AM

i always have a small tool box in my truck with everything i need. I don't ride to spots so having a bunch of tools in my truck is no big deal

|

It’s all bmx

5/9/2018 11:01 AM

Edman123 wrote:

By far the best multitool is the CrankBrothers M19. It has about 80% of everything you would need to rebuild a bike. It is ...more

Edman123 wrote:

the multi tool i ordered can take my entire bike apart except for the chain where this would basically be like a really bulky ...more

Which one did you end up with?

|

5/9/2018 12:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/9/2018 12:33 PM

Edman123 wrote:

the multi tool i ordered can take my entire bike apart except for the chain where this would basically be like a really bulky ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Which one did you end up with?

the tall order tool, it has less sizes than the odyssey one but i only need the 6mm for my bike anyway

https://www.danscomp.com/products/811570/Tall_Order_Pocket_Socket_Tool.html

|

Hmmm