Tools

Related:
Create New Tag

12/18/2014 6:36 PM

I have a feeling I'm going to need to replace my BB bearings soon because I am getting a slight crunch and mad squeaks every time I pedal. I would like to change them myself seeing as I probably can't afford my local bike shop replacing them.

I've never done this before though and have no idea what to buy. I will research on my own on how to install it all, but I just need some quick advice on tools and what to product buy.

I know I will need grease, but that's about it. lol I will be ordering through danscomp.

I have an american bb, so am I able to just buy any of the bb kits on danscomp that say they are compatible with american bb?
Any bb kits I should stay away from buying?

Assuming that is all I have to buy, are there any special tools I should look into?

Any help is appreciated!

|

12/18/2014 6:43 PM

First off, is it sealed or unsealed?

There's a couple different methods you can use, but first I need to know what you're working with

|

12/18/2014 6:54 PM

They are currently sealed bearings with an american bb

|

12/18/2014 7:53 PM

If they're sealed American bearings, then I'm fairly certain Mid BB bearings will fit in there. American bottom bracket bearings are the same size as Mid bottom bracket bearings, American BBs just use cups that the bearings sit it. So if you wanted to save some cash, you could find JUST the bearings or something. Unless you need the whole setup, cause sometimes the cups can wear out.

Just a thought.

Otherwise you can't go wrong with whichever American BB you choose, they're pretty much all the same. Just find one and make sure it's the right size for your spindle.

As for removing the old ones, if you have access to chisels or something similar to this, and a hammer, that might be all you need. A beefy flat head screwdriver will work too. To take them out, take the screwdriver/chisel into the left side of the bottom bracket and hit the right side bearing cup from that side on the part closest to the BB shell and tap on it with the hammer. Angle the end of the chisel/screwdriver so the edge of them is going vertically, not horizontally. Otherwise you risk slipping and hitting your bearing seals.

Do this and work your way around the cup, I like doing it in an X formation meaning you tap the bottom area, then the top area, then the right area, then the left area, and just work your way around like that until it pops out, then do the same for the other side. It might be a little tricky to do that with the internal BB spacer in (Assuming you have one) so if you run into trouble there, just comment back.

As for tapping the new ones, start with the bearing cups and just take a block of wood and put it over the cups and tap them in with a hammer, again working your way around so it goes in evenly. Do that to both sides, then you can do the same with the bearings just make sure they go in evenly. Don't forget to put the internal BB spacer in there as well otherwise you'll have to take everything back out and start over. Once you install the cranks, the pressure from tightening the bolts should press the bearings in a little more if they weren't all the way in, so that's pretty much all there is to it.

Danscomp DOES have a bearing press, but it's pretty expensive unless you're constantly going to be using it. I use a flat head to get mine out when I work on mine at home and a chisel or punch at the shop, and to get them in at home I just use a block of wood & sometimes a socket, but a bearing press at the shop.

So you CAN buy specific tools, but conventional (And cheaper) tools like that will do the job all the same. Hope that helps.

|

12/18/2014 8:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/18/2014 8:11 PM

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

12/19/2014 5:12 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

If they're sealed American bearings, then I'm fairly certain Mid BB bearings will fit in there. American bottom bracket ...more

Wow, that response was impressively easy to understand. Thank you for taking the time to simplify and go into detail with explaining this. What you wrote makes so much sense, and I am super stoked to get this fixed. The task of changing out the bearings doesn't seem like a dark gloomy process anymore lol

I will let you know when I get it fixed how everything goes man! Definitely good to know all I really need to use is a beefy flat head and a hammer, cannot afford bearing press lol Once again, thanks for your time. Much appreciated.

|