Top/bottom load stem (update, please read if interested)

Related:
Create New Tag

9/16/2018 8:21 AM

As some of you know, I'm a fan of frontload stems. But I've seen a bit of a gap in the market. Which do you think I'd be better off throwing money I don't have to get made?

Frontload will be 7mm rise, 50mm reach

Flippable will be 10mm rise inverted, 22(ish)mm the other way up. Also with 50mm reach Photo
Photo

Stem

View Results

|

9/16/2018 9:03 AM

Top load; more people ride top load stems so theres a bigger market for them.

|

9/16/2018 9:21 AM

AaronMellien wrote:

I agree but from the looks of the front load it would be more practical, you could flip the frontload and get more rise than the topload. Or keep it in its original orientation if your bars feel too tall.

|

9/16/2018 9:27 AM

AaronMellien wrote:

this

I prefer front load and like the look of the mock up better, but top load would be more marketable

|

9/16/2018 9:29 AM

35mm rise and I'll 100% buy onecool

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/16/2018 9:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/16/2018 9:53 AM

Flippable! Upside down top load stems look great.

A bit of a gap indeed. Relic have something similar (and Eclat) but your's will be better, of course.

|

9/16/2018 9:58 AM

Upside down frontloads look like arse.
Yeah the relic elect is 52mm reach. And the animal inverse is also similar but 48mm reach. Then for the big spenders there's the t1 cyclops, that's 53mm reach.

I'd rather castrate myself than be associated with a 30mm+ rise stem.......

The whole point is to fill a gap, and make something I myself would be stoked to use. As much as I love frontloads, every other brand out there makes one (at least). Whereas the slightly higher than a frontload market is still fairly open. Not many toploads are designed with the aesthetics of it when flipped taken into consideration. And I've noticed a recent trend of people dropping their bar height recently. If it's too low when flipped, use it as a topload. If it's too low as a topload, buy any one of the other million stems on the market smile

|

9/16/2018 10:43 AM

Damn that frontload looks sexy... I'd still get one as a flippable topload tho. Always had a frontload, could be time for some change

|

9/16/2018 12:11 PM

At least make it 30 mm risewink

|

9/16/2018 12:14 PM

Frontload never has failed me so no need to switch. But have rode topload when I raced

|

9/16/2018 12:41 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

But then it won't work how I want it to when it's flipped, so it'll just be the same as any other 30mm rise stem out there

|

9/16/2018 1:03 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

But then it won't work how I want it to when it's flipped, so it'll just be the same as any other 30mm rise stem out there

Yeah i know what you're saying... damn being tall blowslaughing

|

9/17/2018 7:09 AM

I know you're not an idiot, but watch out for the closed bolt holes on the rear of the stem. Make sure you have plenty of room for the bolts to move even if the stem pinches a bit. I played around with that idea and ended up scrapping it so I could have a more compact rear of the stem.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

9/17/2018 10:53 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

I know you're not an idiot, but watch out for the closed bolt holes on the rear of the stem. Make sure you have plenty of room ...more

I never even noticed they were closed haha. Both images are just a first mock up and will be changed, the bolt holes will be drilled all the way through smile

|

9/17/2018 11:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/17/2018 11:09 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I never even noticed they were closed haha. Both images are just a first mock up and will be changed, the bolt holes will be ...more

Drill more out. Your stem is good, but basic. The cut outs on the side of the FL are good, the cut out for the top cap to sit flusher on the top one is nice. Combine them, add more cut outs on the top and face plate. If you're going to have it CNCed the machine can handle more and so can the metal. Get creative.

If you are going for a flipable stem. You could design the stem to have the bolts enter and hold from both sides that way when you flip the stem the bolts are on the top if that makes sense. It would force a unique look. Flip your model over and design something pleasing from every angle.

|

9/17/2018 11:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/17/2018 11:45 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

I know you're not an idiot, but watch out for the closed bolt holes on the rear of the stem. Make sure you have plenty of room ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

I never even noticed they were closed haha. Both images are just a first mock up and will be changed, the bolt holes will be ...more

ThatSeanimal wrote:

Drill more out. Your stem is good, but basic. The cut outs on the side of the FL are good, the cut out for the top cap to sit ...more

Yeah the weight relief isn't quite where I want it yet either. But if I had my way they'd both look identical to the fbm crown royal v2 haha.

Not a bad idea with the stem bolts! A few brands done that in the 90's and I didn't like the look at the time. But when it's topload it'd look really clean. And when it's flipped the bolts would break up the empty space. I need to sketch the weight relief, so I might play with the stem bolts too.
Edit: I don't think the stem bolt idea would work. There'd need to be a deep hole for the back bolts to go through, which will look trash imo

|

9/17/2018 11:50 PM

This will be almost identical to the eclat burns stem, so I need to be careful about the weight relief. I might put all of the relieving on the inside, so it looks like a slightly squarer version of the relic stem. Personally, I think the animal inverse looks a bit too blocky and over machined. The eclat burns stem is pretty much perfect haha. I completely forgot that stem exists.........

Coming up with original designs is almost impossible. Every time I come up with something I'm stoked on, after a bit of googling I end up finding out it's already been done, or similar sad

|

9/18/2018 1:13 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

This will be almost identical to the eclat burns stem, so I need to be careful about the weight relief. I might put all of the ...more

A stem is always a stem and quite a big part of it has to be something specific so you don't really have too much to play with. I guess that's a part of why coming up with original ideas is so hard.

|

9/22/2018 12:48 PM

Right, had another 3d image from my guy. Just needs a little tweaking. The internal relieving will be neatened up, and I might lose the relieving on the sides, for a cleaner look Photo
Photo

I was just about to order a frame when I got the email. But I can't afford to do both right now (and may struggle in the future). The return on parts isn't massive, it'll never really make money (which I was fully aware of and don't really care about).

I need honest opinions. After thinking about how just about every design I can think of for every part I've been keen on has or is already been done by someone else. Is it really worth it? It took a year to sell all of the sprockets. I'd hope these would sell a bit quicker, but they might not sell at all. Do I yolo it and hope for the best? Or just forget it.
A new frame and a couple of other bits is very tempting. But this was my ambition since I was young. However, the reality of it is very different to what I thought.

Who would undoubtedly buy one? And would anyone be interested in a discount for a pre order? At least if I sell a few via pre orders, I'll have a little more to invest :/

It's stressing me. I want to keep going. But can't convince myself it's the right decision.

|

9/22/2018 1:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/22/2018 1:58 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Right, had another 3d image from my guy. Just needs a little tweaking. The internal relieving will be neatened up, and I might ...more

I'm not sure if any of us can really say which one will be more worth it. If you feel like trying to sell the parts is too much stress and gives you more grief than happiness then you should probably drop it. However, you've made it this far so it's obviously really important to you. Do you feel like better times might be ahead?

Also, do you have a rough price estimate in mind for the stem? I've been following the threads and am very interested in getting one if you can ship it to Finland.

Edit: Oh and I'd be up for the pre-order

|

9/22/2018 2:00 PM

I would undoubtedly buy one (in black!) in either variation, though I prefer a front load. I do like the look of the top loader though, it reminds me of the animal inverse in form, which is not a bad thing.

|

9/22/2018 2:17 PM

I gotta say, I think a stem is pretty much a stem. Sure, the dimensions need to be considered, but it's not like buying a frame or a hubset. So long as the stem holds the bars tight and can withstand some abuse, it'll do the job.

If you're really looking to come up with something new, make a stem that has a unique appearance. The FBM royal stem you mentioned is a great example. Here's a few other examples:

Photo
Photo
[LINK TO IMAGE]
[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

9/22/2018 2:37 PM

That fist stem is an abomination.

|

9/22/2018 4:36 PM

Voted front load, it always looks easier on the eye IMO. I've never ran a top load in my life, and don't plan to.

|

Always movin'

9/22/2018 8:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've got a few people willing to pre order one, and quite a few saying they'll buy one, so I think I'm going to yolo it. I'll try to keep this thread updated instead of making new ones.
Yeah it's just a stem. And a pretty simple looking one at that. But it'll be made in the UK, and there isn't a stem on the market with the same spec currently.
Strangely enough, most people that want one don't care about the spec and want one just because they think it's cool and want to support me. Which is overwhelming! I'm stoked smile
It'll be at least a couple of months yet, so I might wait until the new year to release em.
All you guys will get a discount. Either via a coupon code, or I'll sort it out through pm's :fist bump:

|

9/23/2018 4:20 AM

I’ll be up to support you Steve-you having different colours or as is?

|

9/23/2018 7:33 AM

philbaines wrote:

I’ll be up to support you Steve-you having different colours or as is?

Black, polished, and a few in gun blue just incase one of the few people that bought a gun blue sprocket want a matching stem. And I might raw a few to match the raw sprockets. I might have a few random colours too, but most people just want black

|

9/23/2018 7:42 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Black, polished, and a few in gun blue just incase one of the few people that bought a gun blue sprocket want a matching stem. ...more

gun blue sounds rad!

|

9/23/2018 8:06 AM

The colour options sound really nice. Please keep us updated when you're done with picking them, the "few random colours" got me all hyped uplaughing

|

9/23/2018 8:35 AM

Rabbe wrote:

The colour options sound really nice. Please keep us updated when you're done with picking them, the "few random colours" got ...more

Colours cost no extra, so if you want something specific, let me know!

|