Top tube size

Related:
Create New Tag

6/27/2017 2:03 PM

So I'm 5'11 damn near and never rode a 21 inch top tube so I got a good deal on a bike with a 21 would it fit perfect cause I hear everyone talking about how there certain heights for top tubes.

|

6/27/2017 2:17 PM

It's personal preference, that is all.

|

6/27/2017 3:10 PM

michael.eckhart wrote:

It's personal preference, that is all.

I also saw a nice 20.5 would I be to talk for it? At 5'11

|

6/27/2017 3:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/27/2017 3:15 PM

KalebSorensen420 wrote:

I also saw a nice 20.5 would I be to talk for it? At 5'11

"It's personal preference, that is all."

In theory, a 21" TT would fit you well, but it all comes down to how you want your bike to feel. Shorter TT lengths mean a slightly twitchier, responsive setup. Longer TT lengths will feel more "relaxed" and sluggish, but not a bad sluggish.

But you have to take into account the headtube angle, stem reach/rise, fork offset, bar height, and many other factors. Such factors can make the longest of frames feel the most responsive and vice-versa. If you want a 21" TT, I don't see why not.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

6/27/2017 3:16 PM

KalebSorensen420 wrote:

So I'm 5'11 damn near and never rode a 21 inch top tube so I got a good deal on a bike with a 21 would it fit perfect cause I ...more

It is personal preference for the most part. I have rode over 30 years and have been 5'11" since 9th grade. I like a 21" feels like I have room. Yet I can still handle it like a 20.5 (example). With the geometry of today I now perfer a 20.8, or 20.75 if I can't get a 20.8. It still feels like you have enough room, but stuff like the rear end tend to be a little shorter than a 21.

You have to experiment with sizes to find what your most comfortable with. I have always recommend going to a bike shop and sitting on bikes (bring a tape measure). If they will let you pedal around the parking lot...even better. Once you have found a bike you really feel good on, measure everything. You might have to measure 2 bikes to find the perfect size. Keep in mind your also noticing bar height and crank length doing this. Be sure you measure them too. Then, take the measurements and look online and find a bike as close to the numbers you have. Alot of times you can always measure friends bikes too.

By doing this after I stopped racing and riding dirt 99%. I found 21 (now 20.75-20.8) was comfortable. I like bars shorter than some, 8.5-8.75 and say 27.5 wide and a 175 crank length. Compare the numbers to my race/trails bike: 21.5 tt, 8" bars, 180mm cranks.

Bottom line if it's comfortable to you then in a few days it will be fine. Right now it's in your head mostly about the change in size.

|