Toptube/downtube gusset rusting?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/3/2017 12:09 PM

Is this anything to be concerned about? Only happening on the downtube gusset, the top tube one is finePhoto

|

3/3/2017 12:35 PM

Its fine

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

3/3/2017 1:04 PM

All good happened with my fit Benny l frame so all good

|

3/3/2017 1:45 PM

It's fine, put some oil in there if you want the rusting to stop.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/3/2017 2:13 PM

That's an unwelded area and water and moisture get trapped underneath. That's rusting from the inside out. Wouldn't really worry much about it right now. Oil won't really do much at this point. Rust is essentially a "cancer" to metal. Once it forms it never goes away and spreads. No matter what you do, it always comes back unfortunately

|

3/3/2017 2:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/3/2017 2:27 PM

It happens to the bottom gusset because the front tire kicks up water, grime, and whatever else you run over and spits it onto the tube and that's how all of it finds its way into the gusset. Same thing happens to forks internally too. Eventually you'll start to see rust on the inside of forks. All depends on the quality of materials, welds, and paint a company uses. If you see pictures of people's snapped top tubes and down tubes you'll see it's usually right there behind the headtube and you'll see the rust inside the tubes. Same with forks. This is all worst case scenario because parts do snap out of heavy abuse too not just rust of course

|

3/3/2017 2:41 PM

seanthemechanic wrote:

That's an unwelded area and water and moisture get trapped underneath. That's rusting from the inside out. Wouldn't really ...more

If you can get a film of oil in there, it'll stop the rust from getting worse and seal anywhere that's not already rusted.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/3/2017 4:55 PM

seanthemechanic wrote:

That's an unwelded area and water and moisture get trapped underneath. That's rusting from the inside out. Wouldn't really ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

If you can get a film of oil in there, it'll stop the rust from getting worse and seal anywhere that's not already rusted.

You can't stop rust. Putting oil on rust is like putting a bandaid on a torn open shoulder. Once steel has rust, that's it

|

3/3/2017 5:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/3/2017 5:28 PM

seanthemechanic wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

seanthemechanic wrote:

You can't stop rust. Putting oil on rust is like putting a bandaid on a torn open shoulder. Once steel has rust, that's it

I gotta say I do disagree to a point-if you can remove the rust fully, and then coat it properly, you can go decades without if it isn't left in moisture land.

An example would be old cars-I've seen haggard destroyed cars that are overhauled and redone, and they go 20+ years without rust.

It takes oxygen to form rust, and if you seal the metal fully, rust cannot form. If it could, then cars would all be rusty basically instantly. It takes the paint etc to be chipped, scratched or damaged to allow oxygen to hit the metal itself and cause issues.

That spot under the gusset doesn't really have any paint in it-so rust can form under it. If you clean the edge and then try to get something in there to seal it, you'll be fine. That or realize that that frame will be toast from riding damage before it rusts enough to be a concern.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/3/2017 5:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/3/2017 5:37 PM

In a perfect world, yes you can sort of get rid of rust. Old cars that have rust on let's say a rear quarter panel, cut it out and replace the panel. Old steel is made a lot differently than new steel we have nowadays. Yes if you cut the rust spot out, replace the panel and do the best you can to coat it and paint it with a high quality paint and clear the fuck out of it you should be ok for a number of years. But rust is very very hard to stop once it starts. And yes dude, oxygen does feed it. In a perfect world we wouldn't have to deal with rust but we're imperfect so that's that haha. But like I did say above. It all depends on the quality of materials being used within the metal, the paint, welds, and how well they're sealed

|

3/3/2017 5:58 PM

seanthemechanic wrote:

In a perfect world, yes you can sort of get rid of rust. Old cars that have rust on let's say a rear quarter panel, cut it out ...more

Rust is literally just iron and oxygen, it'll keep forming until it runs out of one of those 2 components. If you put oil in there, especially one that won't be washed out easily, it'll stop the oxygen from getting to the metal and therefore stop it from rusting any further.

Either way, as Dave said above, it'd be a long time before that became a problem.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson