Trail Frames

Related:
Create New Tag

3/11/2015 6:53 AM

Looking for cheap yet strong trail frame I have a Verde Prism and an Eastern frame idk which one it is. My friend and I are looking to start building trails so that's why I was wondering, Thanks!

|

3/11/2015 7:00 AM

It's all about what is coomfortable to you. I and people I know have ridden trails on as low as 13.2 chainstay. But general trails geo is in the range of 74-75 headtube angle, 13.5+ chainstay length although most guys prefer around 14, bottom bracket height in the range of 11.5-11.75 but I see 11.5 & 11.6 the most, higher standovers usually 8.75+, and longer toptubes such as 21+

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

3/11/2015 7:37 AM

tomdon wrote:

It's all about what is coomfortable to you. I and people I know have ridden trails on as low as 13.2 chainstay. But general ...more

Ok thank you I'm not absolutely sure what the geo of my Verde is I'm pretty sure the chainstay is around 13.5 to 14 and the tt is 20.5 and I'm almost sure the head tube is 74.5 but thanks that really clears it up

|

3/11/2015 7:45 AM

Haven't even built trails but your going to spend all that on a trails frame...

Really doesn't make a difference

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

3/11/2015 7:56 AM

MidWestBMX wrote:

I already have 2 frames that I can use now that i know I can I'm not buying a frame unless I absolutely need one

|

3/11/2015 4:26 PM

MidWestBMX wrote:

riding trails with a 13 inch backend is not fun...............obviously its rideable but horrible.
some trail style frames.
t1 barcode
credence mod
credence ccr
fbm steadfast
kink mudrunner
native trendkill
etc

|

Follow on instagram will follow back.
brandonmorris_

3/11/2015 6:55 PM

Eh, idc about the backend much at all on trails. I have ridden long ones and thats good for the pump but the best was like 13.4 because i could whip it around and it was still really stable. My Funday is a little twitchy but still easily controlled due to the low BB and the 74.5 headtube. It's all about how you like it. I actually don't care much just because.

Then again i'm going off of the jumps at Wheelmill that were styled to be like trails. And my federal was really easy on them because it was fairly long and stable. My Aitken was sheer sex because that was perfect Geo and super light, and my Moose was sick for everything except can cans and turndowns, high standovers suck if your legs aren't real long. It was so fluid in the air, really stable.

My Funday has yet to hit my big dirt jump. I have ridden the wheelmill with it and i love it, it's really forgiving in situations that are needed, like if you come in real hot nosed during an air and it saves you and caries you. 32mm forks and 74.5 is underrated! haha

I like this all because it is a good mix between it all.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

3/12/2015 2:36 PM

MidWestBMX wrote:

My experience states otherwise.

Longer frames are more stable at speed, shorter frames are more nimble.

Now there is a LOT of personal preference etc into it, but still this is widely accepted as legitimate.

Personally I could ride on just about anything bmx and get used to it in time.

To the OP, just ride what you have, and save the cash for necessities, like a helmet, maybe a set of brakes if you don't have em.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/12/2015 2:39 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Eh, idc about the backend much at all on trails. I have ridden long ones and thats good for the pump but the best was like ...more

Trails are a lot more unpredictable than wood jumps. Bumps and roots and shit sometimes happen and it's best to have a stable bike when that happens. But obviously it's personal preference.

|

3/12/2015 3:17 PM

MidWestBMX wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

My experience states otherwise.

Longer frames are more stable at speed, shorter frames are more nimble.

Now there is a LOT ...more

I agree, but what I was trying to get across was to not buy a trail frame to automatically be better at trails.

Especially if you are just learning to build jumps, they will probably be small, where the extra stability won't be necessary

I still ride a stock street/park frame on trails

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

3/13/2015 8:24 AM

MidWestBMX wrote:

I agree, but what I was trying to get across was to not buy a trail frame to automatically be better at trails.

Especially if ...more

I hear ya. I personally would just ride what I have. The ONLY exception would be if I had a flatland bike with only a front brake and a coaster and 4 pegs, I would likely change the setup some, or have something else built up.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/13/2015 11:48 AM

If you have bumps and roots on your trails, you aren't building them correctly.

|

3/13/2015 1:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/13/2015 1:40 PM

pnj wrote:

Agreed. But some other trails around here aren't so well built or maintained, so it's nice to have a more stable bike for them. Most of the time the locals (Friends most of the time) get pissed when you try to fix it because it's how they like it or some bullshit like that.

|

3/13/2015 1:52 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Trails are a lot more unpredictable than wood jumps. Bumps and roots and shit sometimes happen and it's best to have a stable ...more

I know, haha, i haven't gotten to ride "real" trails ever. I know if i ever could get to any i'd love it and never feel happy riding anything else. haha

The Woods jump room in Wheelmill in Pittsburgh is designed by the Potoszny brothers. They did those big ass trails in Monroeville and styled them similarly.

But as you said, the root and bump factor is part of it, even though the short backend on a Funday is fine. I would GREATLY prefer a 13.5 in a lot of situations. I rode Stocksy's Soundwave which has a lot of similar stuff and i could go so fast and manual for days. With my Funday it's so much scarier. I know i would feel better on something like a Soundwave.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

3/13/2015 2:12 PM

pnj wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Agreed. But some other trails around here aren't so well built or maintained, so it's nice to have a more stable bike for ...more

This.

If they aren't your trails, don't try to change things. Just repair your damage and help dig to earn your session.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/14/2015 3:19 PM

MidWestBMX wrote:

peggiesmalls wrote:

riding trails with a 13 inch backend is not fun...............obviously its rideable but horrible.
some trail style frames.
t1 ...more

You missed out on the greatest frame of all time. Josh sticker frames. 21"tt, 8.5"soh, 74.5%ht and 14-15"cs

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

3/14/2015 3:22 PM

Photo

|

The first breath is the beginning of death