Trail Gearing?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/25/2011 9:00 AM

What gearing should i ride for trails? im thinking about going 28-9. i have 170mm cranks now . but i plan on getting some odyssey thunderbolts or kink pillars in 175 soon

|

11/25/2011 9:26 AM

run 32 9

|

Check my Youtube Channel and Subscribe if you like.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC62awwE63LVhyBqOgIyY3ZA
Follow me on Instagram @ scott_effting & toododgy

11/25/2011 9:26 AM

Don't know much about trails, but if you're gearing up.. getting longer cranks is a great idea.. I'd go with 177 or 180mm (depending on your height).. the wider footing should give you a better base and more stability.. and from what I've heard, higher gearing helps for pumping through trails..

|

Stupidity, outrage, vanity, cruelty, iniquity, bad faith, falsehood - we fail to see the whole array when it is facing in the same direction as we.
-- Jean Rostand

11/25/2011 9:36 AM

28-9 or 30-9. i run 28-9 and i love it

|

11/25/2011 10:13 AM

i run 25-9

honestly i don't see the need for harder gearing unless you have to pedal mid run, otherwise its kind of pointless.

|

trails are not skateparks, they exist solely from the work and dedication of local riders. so next time you start complaining about not having local trails to ride, you only need look at yourself.
Bike check?

11/25/2011 10:58 AM

cupovjoe wrote:

i run 25-9

honestly i don't see the need for harder gearing unless you have to pedal mid run, otherwise its kind of pointless.

yea i see what your saying but some times on my bike it seems way to easy to pedal

|

11/25/2011 11:09 AM

i run 28-9 and its perfect imo...when i ride a 25-9 now it feels like i dont go anywhere when i pedal

|

Save a Tree, Ride a bike!

11/25/2011 12:05 PM

NIce trails usually don't require pedaling hardly at all to be honest. You just use rollers berms and jumps to gain speed. Some trails start off with little 5 foot gaps and end in 35-40 footers, they truly are a work of art. smile

|

Swoop it motherfuckas

11/25/2011 2:14 PM

Austin_Read wrote:

NIce trails usually don't require pedaling hardly at all to be honest. You just use rollers berms and jumps to gain speed. Some trails start off with little 5 foot gaps and end in 35-40 footers, they truly are a work of art. smile

1234, if your trails go down hill then whatever you are running will work just fine. However, if your trails require you to pedal a lot like mine than step the gear up, I run 27-9 on trails that are completely flat and require you to pedal inbetween sets.

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]
Refs: ScramHype, Wade, jwnolte, beastassdick, ///digitalme, iridebmx2122

11/25/2011 4:30 PM

Austin_Read wrote:

tankbob wrote:

1234, if your trails go down hill then whatever you are running will work just fine. However, if your trails require you to pedal a lot like mine than step the gear up, I run 27-9 on trails that are completely flat and require you to pedal inbetween sets.

i ride alot of different trail though. like i ride some near my house that are down hill and you dont need to pedal but i also ride some that i need to pedal every so often

|