Trail building tips?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/30/2016 2:11 AM

I just discovered some trails really close to were i live. I met the who built them, and he was all right with me making some new jumps, so what are some tips on building lips, landing ramps and that stuff.

Thanks

|

8/30/2016 2:36 AM

The dirt has to be moist. It's easier to dig and shape that way. And you have to pat it down hard to help keep its shape. The size and shape of the lip depends on the size of the jump you want to make. A mellow lip will send you further, but with less height. The landing will depend on the shape of the lip, you don't want a really steep landing with a mellow lip, as you'll struggle to land into it smoothly. But you also don't want it too mellow as landing properly is what gives you the speed to clear the next one

|

8/30/2016 8:58 AM

My tip is to spend some time digging with the guy who digs out there. You'll get far more help that way than from the internet. He may even offer to lend a hand and help you with the lines/jumps you're working on.

|

8/30/2016 12:41 PM

pnj wrote:

My tip is to spend some time digging with the guy who digs out there. You'll get far more help that way than from the ...more

This is awesome advice!

|

8/31/2016 3:43 PM

Also theres a thread we had last year on trails, check them out for lots of advice.

|

Smoke Drink Die

2/12/2018 8:55 PM

Photo

A side view of the same double
|

2/12/2018 10:03 PM

Watch this , could be some lessons learned here
youtube video

|

2/12/2018 11:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/12/2018 11:19 PM

I spent a lot of my youth digging trails and it's not easy. Once you know what you want it's just a matter of sweat and determination so I'll just give you some advice on saving your back and mind. It's easier to dig your lip and landing down rather than digging a hole and piling up on the surface if that makes sense to you. Like shape your jump out of the same hole you dug to get the dirt out of. Keep in mind that if you have half the jump below the surface and the other half above you'll need to dig a channel for water to run out of, you'll want to put the drainage at the lowest point in between the two or you'll have a bunch of little ponds gather. You're gonna end up digging up a bunch of random stuff like trash, rocks, tree limbs etc. and that's OK you can use it for filler anything helps,its just less shovels you'll have to move. The closer you get to trees the more roots you'll run into but it's unavoidable in some places. Bring a wide head pick axe and only cut the roots you have to because it helps the dirt from eroding during heavy rain. If theres long periods of time that pass without you digging you'll want to cover your lips and landing with tarps, carpet, whatever to keep them from settling down as much, until they're totally packed they'll sink quite a bit. Never ride em completely dry or soaked you'll get chunks falling off the backside or you'll make ruts with the bike tires and repairs cost time and effort better put towards building. Top soil is best for the surface and the deeper you dig the more Clay you'll hit that's good for structure strength. At a certain point you may hit the top of the water table(all of this is dependent on the topography of the land, it's different each place)which isn't a bad thing because it's a water source that's close. Make sure you have buckets, tools, wheel barrow, whatever on hand but super well hidden if you can't transport it with you because you'd be surprised what people will steal. Which leads me to possibly the most important thing which is proximity of the trails to people. As far away from prying eyes is best, private property you're welcome at is the most desirable location. I'd dig at a spot thats not as ideal for the sheer fact that it's allowed and less likely to be torn down than the most perfect dirt by a perfect creek anyday. There's nothing worse than getting a place you've shaped and put that much effort towards posted for demolition or criminal charges trust me. I had a place I'd worked on for 5 years and literally built myself a structure to wait out storms/camp under mowed down in a weekend with no warning and it'll literally break your heart, I haven't wanted to dig since. Make sure the area isn't slated for development and try to get permission if possible. Have fun! You'll learn quickly or break your back trying haha it's worth it though there's no limit but your imagination. Make a curved wall snake run to volcano around a tree! No amount of reading how is going to dig em for Ya or teach you better though

|

@coupd_tat

2/13/2018 4:02 PM

coupde_tat wrote:

I spent a lot of my youth digging trails and it's not easy. Once you know what you want it's just a matter of sweat and ...more

THIS!!! There's a whole lot of good information here but you're still going to learn a whole hell of a lot more by actually going out and building something.

If you can find out who owns the land you want to build on, try to get an agreement with them. Something along the lines of "build what you want but don't come to me if you injure yourself" is a fairly common way of doing things(at least, here).

I'd also say to be very picky about who you bring there; nothing's worse than showing up to the spot, hoping to ride something you built over the previous few days to find that it's riddled with case marks or even had the top half knocked off because a certain idiot couldn't ride it as it was.

That point about developments is really hitting home for me as I found out today that a spot I've been building for like 4 years is possibly getting bulldozed in the next few months to build a housing estate. Might have to push further into the woods and start again if it's not all being taken for the estate. Even if nothing happens to it, too many people will know about it by then and it probably won't be worth my time trying to keep it in shape.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/14/2018 11:13 PM

Ive got another question
How do i bring water to the trails because there is no creek or water source near by, do i bring a 30l water container, or do i dig hole and wait for it to rain i don't know, could
someone plz help

|

2/15/2018 12:14 AM

Ashton4646 wrote:

Ive got another question
How do i bring water to the trails because there is no creek or water source near by, do i bring a ...more

You have 2 decent ideas there, try them out.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/15/2018 2:11 AM

Ashton4646 wrote:

Ive got another question
How do i bring water to the trails because there is no creek or water source near by, do i bring a ...more

Both. Make a drainage system so they dry quicker when it rains, and have all the water drain to one hole. You can use dirt from the hole to build the jumps with

|