Trans Colors?, rawing and keeping weld marks? WHAT CAN I DO??

Related:
Create New Tag

2/12/2014 7:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/12/2014 7:14 PM

sup, i got a pair of trans red wtp bars, im not too picky on colors but ive had this colorway going for too long so it's time for a change, im planning to raw my bars (cause i love these bars and dont wanna get new ones) but is there anyway i can raw them while keeping the sick looking weld marks?(like the black stuff from the burning during the weld process) i know sand paper would probably sand the marks off but what about paint strip, would that effect the weld marks? Any suggestions on what i can do? any true thoughts will help, thanks!
Photo

|

2/12/2014 7:12 PM

Get them sandblasted. Preferably the best way. Stripper works but ive seen it tint the metal to a really ugly color on my friends' parts.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/12/2014 7:18 PM

Sandbaslting or sand paper will lose the marks. not sure how WTP does the burn marks but them burns may be just paint as well.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

2/12/2014 7:20 PM

Brokenbmx wrote:

Sandbaslting or sand paper will lose the marks. not sure how WTP does the burn marks but them burns may be just paint as well. ...more

Ive seen blasted frames have the marks. Gotta be done professionally I guess. Gotta be super careful to remove the paint and only the paint

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

2/12/2014 7:22 PM

Brokenbmx wrote:

Sandbaslting or sand paper will lose the marks. not sure how WTP does the burn marks but them burns may be just paint as well. ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Ive seen blasted frames have the marks. Gotta be done professionally I guess. Gotta be super careful to remove the paint and ...more

yea like a soft bead or sand. not to powerfull. everytime i've sandblasted its polished right to a dull silver

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

2/12/2014 7:35 PM

^^^^ that i had a shop sandblast a frame and forks once and it just makes them a dull silver color, paint strippers the way to go

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

2/12/2014 9:42 PM

Brokenbmx wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Ive seen blasted frames have the marks. Gotta be done professionally I guess. Gotta be super careful to remove the paint and ...more

Brokenbmx wrote:

yea like a soft bead or sand. not to powerfull. everytime i've sandblasted its polished right to a dull silver

Bead blast is the way to go.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

2/13/2014 6:31 AM

Just use aircraft stripper found at walmart and steel wool and a metal bristle brush. Plus some gloves because the stripper burns. Ive done it this way many times.

|

2/13/2014 3:20 PM

skubasteve wrote:

Just use aircraft stripper found at walmart and steel wool and a metal bristle brush. Plus some gloves because the stripper ...more

But will the black weld marks stay on?

|

2/13/2014 4:14 PM

Yeah they will stay on. Ive done a few frames just like this and ive never had a problem. Just spray the frame and let it sit. Take some mild steel wool and rub off the powder and use the brush around the brake post, bb, etc.

|

2/13/2014 4:16 PM

skubasteve wrote:

Yeah they will stay on. Ive done a few frames just like this and ive never had a problem. Just spray the frame and let it sit. ...more

How long did it take you to do a frame? And can you post a link/pic of exactly what you used?

|

2/13/2014 4:45 PM

Here is my 22" Holmes I did a while back. The tubing on this frame was polished before they painted it so it came out nice.
[LINK TO IMAGE]

[LINK TO IMAGE]

and my 24" dirtbike. This one had a flat clear so the marks aren't that noticeable and it was taken with a crappy cell phone. The tubing on this frame was rather rough. Just polished around the welds and just rough metal between welds.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

I used Klean Strip aircraft paint remover
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-CAN-Klean-Strip-AIRCRAFT-REMOVER-Paint-Stripper-EAR-322-/121148572142?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item1c350481ee&vxp=mtr
and a brush similar to this. The one pictured is a brass bristle, I used a metal bristle.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Forney-70491-Wire-Scratch-Brush-Brass-with-Curved-Wood-Handle-8-5-8-Inch-.006-Inch/33889263

|

2/13/2014 4:49 PM

How long did it take you?

|

2/13/2014 4:57 PM

USe soft bead! That is your best chance! It might work with the stripper but it can mess it up! That being said i don't think that the bars have real weld marks anyway

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

2/13/2014 5:06 PM

I think about an hour

|

2/13/2014 5:17 PM

Use a Super soaker flamethrower on it

|

2/13/2014 6:57 PM

DeviantBMX123 wrote:

USe soft bead! That is your best chance! It might work with the stripper but it can mess it up! That being said i don't think ...more

Do they fake weld bars or something instead of real weld them?

|

2/13/2014 7:01 PM

DeviantBMX123 wrote:

USe soft bead! That is your best chance! It might work with the stripper but it can mess it up! That being said i don't think ...more

Fondue wrote:

No but post weld heat treated parts (like these I believe) dont have weld marks since its welded then heat treated.

|

2/13/2014 7:07 PM

DeviantBMX123 wrote:

Fondue wrote:

Yup they super glue them together then draw the weld marks on with crayons

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

2/13/2014 7:11 PM

I used paint stripper on my last frame and all the weld marks stayed

|

Check my Youtube Channel and Subscribe if you like.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC62awwE63LVhyBqOgIyY3ZA
Follow me on Instagram @ scott_effting & toododgy

2/13/2014 7:27 PM

Effting wrote:

I used paint stripper on my last frame and all the weld marks stayed

this ^^^^ plus if u drench them with stripper u can hose off the paint and it takes some time for the stripper to settle in so be patient. weld mark stay on. sandblast is just a pain in the butt if u dont have the tools to do it.

|

HEAVY bikes METAL music

2/14/2014 9:51 AM

Those weld marks are actually heat from the welds, and they can be sanded away. I have done paint stripper, and I had to be rough around the welds so I lost them.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura