Transparent paint job

Related:
Create New Tag

5/13/2018 12:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/13/2018 12:25 AM

I couldnt figure the best place to ask this question so i just throw it here, did any of you guys ever use montana or whatever transparent spray cans to paint a part? How did it turn out?

|

5/13/2018 12:54 AM

Graffiti spray paint is terrible for spraying bike parts (it's water based, so it chips very easily. It's also quite thick, so it builds up quickly without sticking properly). You're better off using automotive paints. Any hardware store should sell clear coat/lacquer

|

5/13/2018 2:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/13/2018 2:10 AM

Automotive for sure.

My method is crazy ghetto but kind of works. What I did is...

Spray a base coat color
Wait a day or two
Apply an anodized (not metallic) coating of the same color on top of the base coat, but add more layers of paint near the welds

My bike check sort of shows it through the photo.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

5/13/2018 4:19 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Automotive for sure.

My method is crazy ghetto but kind of works. What I did is...

Spray a base coat color
Wait a day or two ...more

Not ghetto, don't worry. You're doing it the good way. Your bike is sick btw- I love that blue. You can be proud of the paint job- first class.

However, a day after the first base coat should be sufficient (some situations ask for 2 base coats).

Another technique (which gives a similar effect as you did- but more pronounced) I learned from modelling is to have a light colour base coat (say light gray or light yellow), and then spray the joints/weld areas with full black base coating (and have it fade as it retreats into the frame). This can also be used on the downtube and on the rear side of the seat tube- to enhance the colour and give more contrast.

I usually paint with an air gun/whatchamacallit which gives full control on everything but you can mess up. I don't like automotive spray cans but you can achieve good results (like you did)- I'm just not too experienced with them, I guess.

You didn't apply a clear coat though- for those who read this and are gonna paint- don't skip it. The clear coat hardens the paint on the surface and makes it last much longer (as well as that matt/glossy effect). Especially the epoxy based ones. Those are incredible.

Didn't apply some on the 4x4 interior I did once and have regretted it ever since- as it's a farm/utility vehicle, the paint is fragile (soft ish when you take branches into account) and doesn't hold against scratches at all.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

5/13/2018 10:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/13/2018 10:23 AM

I’ve tried a bunch of different stuff and found the best results with this:

Photo

Which gave me this:

Photo

They have a few other colors but what I did was alternate light coats of purple/red to get a cranberry kind of translucent look. I recommend this stuff over anything else honestly.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.