Tree V3 and other bushing drivers...

Related:
Create New Tag

6/27/2014 4:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/27/2014 4:53 PM

So I was trying to find the cause of my somewhat rough drivetrain today. Socket drive, 30/10 gearing, sealed pedals, and a nearly perfect chainline shouldn't be rough at all. Cranks spin perfectly smooth with no chain on. So I tightened my rear wheel (Tree V3 hub), and found that the driver was really really hard to spin with my fingers. Like I pretty much had to force it around. I'm 90% sure this is why my drivetrain is rougher than it should be. I do have to run my chain pretty tight since I do have CS brakes.

So my question is, do hubs with bushings under the driver, like the Tree V3, require a break-in period, or are they always this rough and tight?

On top of the rough driver, the hub is pretty much impossible to tighten correctly because everything spins around when you're trying to tighten it, plus it seems like the bolts are already starting to strip. Really disappointed in this hub so far.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

6/27/2014 5:14 PM

The proper bushibgs seemed to wear in nicely but.yours foes sounds particuarly bound.

|

6/27/2014 5:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/27/2014 5:25 PM

Mychaylo wrote:

The proper bushibgs seemed to wear in nicely but.yours foes sounds particuarly bound.

I've only been riding it for 2 days so it might just need to be broken in still, but I was expecting a perfectly smooth drivetrain.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

6/27/2014 5:40 PM

The stripping issue would most likely have to do with the brilliant idea of aluminum axle bolts.

My friends V3 driver spins like butter so I dont understand why yours doesn't. Are you over tightening your bolts? This could be putting tremendous force on the bushing, it would also explain the stripped bolts. If not, contact Tree, they'll help you out. Could me a factory error. I.e. improperly machined hardware/axle/driver/ratchet ring.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

6/27/2014 5:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/27/2014 5:51 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

The stripping issue would most likely have to do with the brilliant idea of aluminum axle bolts.

My friends V3 driver spins ...more

Well, I'm just gonna try to break it in tomorrow and see if that makes it better. Definitely not overtightening it.

But I'm having a hell of a time working on this hub. When I try to tighten or loosen one bolt, the other one seems to tighten or loosen as well, and it's pretty much impossible to tighten or loosen it because the collars spin around and the other bolt does whatever the fuck it wants. I don't even know how to explain it, it's just fucking frustrating to work on.

The only reason why I got it tight the first time is because I had two other people holding the collars so they wouldn't spin. This is fucking shit. Might just e-mail Tree anyways.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

6/27/2014 5:54 PM

I would. Sounds like its messed up. My Gsport Ratchet and my friends V3 dont have these problems. Sounds like you got a dud.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

6/27/2014 5:55 PM

DAFUQ!? I've heard 1or 2 horror stories about the older Hubs, but I was convinced they'd sorted all the problems with the V3! They even fessed up & said they'd cocked up with the OG & were working to make the Hub perfect! That doesn't sound very perfect Jesse!!!

|

6/27/2014 6:05 PM

Topsey wrote:

DAFUQ!? I've heard 1or 2 horror stories about the older Hubs, but I was convinced they'd sorted all the problems with the V3! ...more

Yeah, I saw them say they worked out all the kinks too. I find it funny because they said they went back to 14x1mm thread because it prevents everything from spinning. Finally got it to loosen and got it to tighten with the chain on after like 2 hours of fucking with it. Still not smooth but I'm just gonna deal with it for this weekend.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

6/27/2014 6:38 PM

I've only really handled one hub that used a bushing in the driver, and I was playing with it at the shop since I was lacing it for someone and the driver felt really tight even without being tightened down. And it was already used so I would assume it had ample time to break in.

I don't know much about bushing-style drivers, but I personally wouldn't ever run one.

|

6/27/2014 6:41 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I've only really handled one hub that used a bushing in the driver, and I was playing with it at the shop since I was lacing ...more

Yeah, I heard they're tight but I didn't know they would be rough. This setup is almost as rough as my last setup which is really disappointing. The bushing makes a setup with sealed pedals, 30/10 gearing, a perfect chainline, and socket drive as rough as a setup with unsealed pedals, 27/9 gearing, a completely terrible chainline, and a bolt drive sprocket that wasn't centered... ugh...

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

6/27/2014 6:45 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Yeah, I heard they're tight but I didn't know they would be rough. This setup is almost as rough as my last setup which is ...more

Personally I think needle bearing setups in drivers are the way to go. I have never had any issue at all riding mine.

And actually now that I think of it, I worked on another hub with a bushing in the driver and over time they can wear down. The kid whose hub I was working on was ridiculous, it somehow got chewed up on the end and if the hub was tightened even the slightest bit, it would lock up.

However you could have just gotten a bad batch, like how I got a BSD hub awhile back that was machined wrong. Maybe Tree can help sort things out for you

|

6/27/2014 6:52 PM

That^

Both my needle bearing drivers spun like a looseball bearing driver marinated in KY jelly. Originally I had the Primo Remix, now im on the Gsport Ratchet. 10/10 would bang.

|