Trends, Come and go-Stay

Related:
Create New Tag

5/7/2014 6:31 PM

Okay there is the whole thing about trends and trend whores.
Bars-Back when there were Primo Tall Boys and they were big (8.25") people would get shit for going up from 7.9" bars. I had made custom stainless 8.9" bars because I couldnt take having my back leaned in all day and mine were called stupidly high.
Now 8.5"-9.5" bars are called standard. and no longer stated as a trendy bar to get much anymore.

Anyone Remember when cassettes first came out. I was younger and not to much into bmx as I am now. But everyone who rushed in and bought themselves a cassette would straight away get hate on from most of the still freewheel riders.

No i believe there is a stopping point on bars where it does get stupid but who am i to say.
Sure if you know someone who buys parts as soon as they become the new thing then yeah they can be a trend whore.

What is everyone else's take on this

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

5/7/2014 6:34 PM

Is the light bike trend gone?

|

ı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨

5/7/2014 6:37 PM

Bloody hope so.
That was stupid. People going through dans and picking everything out by weight then complaining that their parts broke

|

5/7/2014 6:43 PM

I started riding in 2006, I guess then was around when small bars were still popular cause I rode like 23" wide bars for awhile & so did everyone else. Everyone upgraded to big bars though but I was the last to, never dealt with the "Oh you have big bars? gay." trend. BUTTTT, I do remember when brakeless riding blew up & I was also the last to take my brakes off & everyone was like oh brakes are gay they're dumb take em off. I'm like .. no. haha until I snapped the cable anyway.

|

5/7/2014 6:51 PM

My bars are 8" rise and everyone at my park asks me when i will be getting larger bars.

|

Nothing like a Good day of Digging and Riding

5/7/2014 6:59 PM

WuTrailClan wrote:

My bars are 8" rise and everyone at my park asks me when i will be getting larger bars.

Yeah I'm thinking about going back to 8 or 8.5 when i get some dead man's
I have to deal with people asking. Why do you still run flanges, and you do know that 48H wheels are out dated and arent strong anymore?

My Ride.
Director2 forks: Why are your forks bent
G-Sport monkey to a Ribcage: That must be so heavy, just get a 36H
Grips: ODI Gum with flanges: Just cut them off, You don't run brakes and they would just get in the way
Sprocket: 30T Analogue guard sprocket: It's to big and you cant get any speed fast, cant drop in straight

Basically what ever you have thats not in the current trend you get shit for it,. If you do have stuff that is in you also get shit for it

|

5/7/2014 6:59 PM

Almost went crazy when i Kid rode my bike last and pulled the flanges off then wanted me to say thank you

|

5/7/2014 7:10 PM

jamiespadina wrote:

Almost went crazy when i Kid rode my bike last and pulled the flanges off then wanted me to say thank you

I'd of been pissed! I ride brakeless but can't stand flangeless grips.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

5/7/2014 7:18 PM

jamiespadina wrote:

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

I'd of been pissed! I ride brakeless but can't stand flangeless grips.

Yeah I went to the shop and bought some new ones. Then peeled off the kids stickers on his bike and threw them in the bin. Feel like a bit of a dick for it but oh well

|

5/7/2014 7:38 PM

d@m, I must be getting OLD..

1. I have no idea what the h@LL you guys are talking bout? Flanges this, Ribcage that, 30T what? haha, so lost..

2. Up until a week ago, I have been riding the same bike since 2001.. a Haro 540 AIR.. with 4pc Castillo bars.. so yeah, I for sure am not up on any trends.. I just discovered that bikes are like almost 50% lighter these days.. and headsets are no longer a pain to install/remove and what the hizzy happened to the bottom brackets and the sprockets.. they went MINI ME on me!! its so insane!!

Well off to Goggle I go to find out what you guys are saying!!

oNe

p.s. Found this thread about cassettes v/s freewheels.. left me more lost than anything.. http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/General-BMX-Talk,2/What-is-the-difference-between-a-freewheel-hub-and-a-cassette-hub,695937

|

5/7/2014 8:11 PM

Phabeon wrote:

d@m, I must be getting OLD..

1. I have no idea what the h@LL you guys are talking bout? Flanges this, Ribcage that, 30T ...more

Yeah i know and Yes I remember the Old headsets, loosing some of the balls or finding them between the cubs in the Bottom Bracket. Those were the days.

And Guess what, People are running 23T Sprockets now..It's crazy and 8T drivers in the rear.

|

5/7/2014 8:34 PM

A lot of times things considered "trends" are in my eyes just the progression of bmx. That said the weight weenie sacrifice strength to cut a few ounces trend was probably the worst, glad to see a lot of companies now just trying to put out solid parts instead of seeing how many cutouts they can put in something without it exploding upon landing. Bigger bars, tires, and freecoasters I feel like are here to stay.

|

5/7/2014 8:48 PM

The only thing I dont like is heavy tires. Might sound stupid, but it actually makes a big difference. I tried some Shadow Valors and they were heavy as hell and just felt big and clunky. Rotational wieght makes a big difference. So I went back to my Momentums. I might also get another pair of Premium Refuse Resist Folding, they lasted me along time. But I agree, nowadays there only a handful of companies that still make qaulity parts that last. Just the ones that have been around already for 15+ years.

|

5/7/2014 9:58 PM

^^ I can understand that.. For me it's almost like the tires weigh me down. Heavy tires are a bitch

|

ı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨

5/8/2014 7:01 AM

michael.eckhart wrote:

The only thing I dont like is heavy tires. Might sound stupid, but it actually makes a big difference. I tried some Shadow ...more

i agree, rolling weight like tires and wheels makes more difference than anything to me!

|

5/8/2014 7:19 AM

Fad3r wrote:

A lot of times things considered "trends" are in my eyes just the progression of bmx. That said the weight weenie sacrifice ...more

Freecoasters are far from new they just continue to get more popular as the design flaws are worked out

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

5/8/2014 8:26 AM

I was brakeless in 94, I took em off the first bike I ever owned cuz it didn't have a gyro. Brakeless for life.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

5/8/2014 9:00 AM

WuTrailClan wrote:

bitch please
i ride 7.75's lol, slammed, no spacers
about to get some 8.25's because its killing my back

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

5/8/2014 11:32 AM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

Freecoasters are far from new they just continue to get more popular as the design flaws are worked out

True, i was just speaking more in terms about the fact that there has recently been a huge amount of people switching over to them. Some people just call it a trend but I think that coasters will stay where they're at in popularity, especially as you mentioned alot of the design flaws are being worked out.

|

5/8/2014 1:39 PM

I have a freecoaster and people say i'm an AK wannabe

I wanted one months before coasters blew up just I only got money at the time when they did

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/8/2014 2:39 PM

verde used to be good now it sucks for some reason come. Now i know u all will say verde dose suck and is alwys did

|

5/11/2014 5:20 AM

dej wrote:

verde used to be good now it sucks for some reason come. Now i know u all will say verde dose suck and is alwys did

I used to think verde was awesome, yes they have down graded lately but they might make a come back, their pro model frames are alright still

|

5/11/2014 6:11 AM

dej wrote:

jamiespadina wrote:

I used to think verde was awesome, yes they have down graded lately but they might make a come back, their pro model frames ...more

Their new Oxbridge Frame looks great.

|

5/11/2014 6:54 AM

I have 8.25" rise bars. Does that mean I'm a little guy? blink

I dislike freecoasters but more and more people keep getting them. That's a really big trend. No one in my group of friends has one yet but I'm sure within the next about year or so, someone will. I sure hope it's not me. You can't beat a cassette in my opinion.

I am sort of a less fortunate trend whore I guess. XD I never have the money to get parts when they first come out.

I started running 4 pegs because it looks much better than 3 pegs. I used to run 1 peg on the right side in the rear so that I could try to do a little bit of flatland. But not too long ago, I got a 4th peg. I can oppo feeble but I have never used the front right side peg ever. Lol

I also remove my flanges too. I think it looks cleaner........Oh so trendy. grin grin

I refuse to buy any part that isn't black or red because it will throw off my color scheme. I am VERY OCD about my color scheme.

Uhhhh I LOVE sqeaky tires.

I'm a big Sunday fan.

That's all I can think of. I guess that's pretty trend whore-ish.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)