Tricks Lingo Confusion...???

Related:
Create New Tag

9/8/2016 1:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/8/2016 1:43 PM

I am...

1. Right foot forward
2. Spin left/counter clockwise (natural/preferred)
3. Grind Right (natural/preferred)
4. Throw bars right/clockwise (natural/preferred)

Some questions & confusion...

A. Is any trick that you do with your opposite/non-natural side or hand...considered or called "Switch"...?

For example...

If I spin to my right...is it than called a 'switch 360' because its my non-natural side..?

B. Why do they call it 'hard way' if I am spinning towards my natural/preferred side from a ledge/bar...?

If I grind a ledge/bar on my RIGHT side and than do a spin out of the grind to my LEFT...its called hard way. This confuses me...because if I am spinning to my natural/preferred side (left)....Than theoretically...wouldn't that be considered easier and therefore it should not be called hard way...?

C. What is a trick called and/or considered if I do it with my left feet forward instead of my right...? Would this be considered 'switch' also because I am leading with my non-natural foot...?

I originally come from a skateboarding/snowboarding background where there is Frontside, Backside and switch (non-natural foot).

|

9/8/2016 1:42 PM

You're really, really, really overthinking this.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

9/8/2016 1:52 PM

bruh

|

9/8/2016 2:11 PM

Switch is when you spin or throw your non-natural way.

A spin out of a grind is considered hard when your back tire is spinning towards the ledge / rail, making it well.. hard.

Easy is the opposite, your back tire is moving away from the ledge.

Switch footed is not really a thing anyone cares about.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

9/8/2016 2:44 PM

RIGHT. So, regarding your first four points, that would be considered the "norm" of BMX stance.

For your confusing bits...

A. Yes. But there are riders who call it opposite as well. They have, essentially, become the same term with the same meaning of spinning/throwing your unnatural direction, like chris stated.

B. It's called hard because it's harder. For some riders, that is. Think of a feeble grind to 180 out. You're right foot & right pegs, so I'll use that as an example. Now, look at chris' point. That is why.

C. Well... No one will care. Plus, some people (like Jay Dalon, Jason Watts, or Kris Fox, to name a few) ride naturally like that.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

9/8/2016 3:20 PM

Switch is when you ride opposite foot forward. Spinning, throwing the bars or grinding on your "unnatural" side is opposite. It always has been and always will be. Some people call opposite switch, but they're wrong. You can't be switch on a bike (as the terminology comes from skateboarding, where you can skate switch)
A hard 180 out of a grind is when you spin away from the ledge (so in this case, riding right foot forward, grinding on the right, spinning to the left) it's called hard because it's naturally harder to spin away from a ledge, no matter which side you grind on or naturally spin.

|

9/8/2016 4:08 PM

transition_chris wrote:

Switch is when you spin or throw your non-natural way.

A spin out of a grind is considered hard when your back tire is spinning towards the ledge / rail, making it well.. hard.

Easy is the opposite, your back tire is moving away from the ledge.

Switch footed is not really a thing anyone cares about.

This, because Danny Hickerson isn't really riding anymore. No one knew his stance or anything because he could do every trick both ways, and frequently switched it up during his runs and lines.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/8/2016 11:33 PM

So...Let me get this "STRAIGHT"...In BMX...

A. Riding with your non-natural foot forward...is not considered switch...therefore is probably looked down upon and no one ever rides like that. Everyone pretty much just rides with their natural foot forward and than spin/grind/throw which ever way is natural to them.

B. Its 'hard way' because theoretically...the ledge/bar is 'in the way' of your back tire and is actually preventing you from completing a better spin.

C. There is no 'switch' term in BMX...but there is the term 'opposite' for when you perform any trick that utilizes your non-natural/non-prefered side/hand.

|

9/9/2016 8:04 AM

i wish 180's were referred to as rolling zagnuts again and when tailwhips were called whoppers

|

It’s all bmx

9/9/2016 10:43 AM

CHEW BEAR wrote:

So...Let me get this "STRAIGHT"...In BMX...

A. Riding with your non-natural foot forward...is not considered switch...therefore is probably looked down upon and no one ever rides like that. Everyone pretty much just rides with their natural foot forward and than spin/grind/throw which ever way is natural to them.

B. Its 'hard way' because theoretically...the ledge/bar is 'in the way' of your back tire and is actually preventing you from completing a better spin.

C. There is no 'switch' term in BMX...but there is the term 'opposite' for when you perform any trick that utilizes your non-natural/non-prefered side/hand.

Riding with your unnatural foot forward is switch. Butcher made it a thing in the late 90's. It was called switch because it's similar to skating switch (skating with your unnatural foot forward), a lot of terminology comes from skateboarding even though it's different.

|