Tricks you just don't/can't do and style

Related:
Create New Tag

5/25/2017 5:14 PM

I consider myself quite skilled I guess, been riding a hot minute.

There's some trademarked tricks I do all the time and have completely dialed, then others I just don't do and don't care to learn. I can't barspin, tailwhip, or 360. I've hopped a 17 set staircase, aired huge doubles on trails, etc. I feel quite skilled, just seriously cannot do or bring myself to bother learning or trying some tricks, I've also never ran pegs ever.

I feel it's more so everyone having their own style, however nowadays most people seem to be able to do about everything in the book. Was wondering if any other of you well traveled members have some tricks and whatnot you just don't bother with at all such as me. I think not being able to 360 is an oddball. My 180s are quite godly though. I mean, I can bunnyhop over a public trashcan, T-bog, turn down, etc on flat ground. I just for whatever odd reason don't tread into certain territories.

I'm more a burly type of rider, I like huckin shit out. Big gaps going fast and brakeless. Whereas some of my friends like riding slow and technical. Some parks they enjoy more, some I enjoy more. Just because of the contrast of styles.

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

5/25/2017 5:30 PM

Can't barspin or whip, maybe i'll learn someday. I like big street gaps and roofs and grinding krusty ledges. I almost never hit handrails because they scare the shit outta me. Like jumping off a roof is usually less scary than hitting a nine set rail. I also just can't do that many tricks in general. I can wallride and 360 pretty good, i have some grinds down but i still can't icepick, hell i can't even manual!

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

5/25/2017 5:34 PM

I can whip, bar, table, but cannot for the life of me figure turndowns out. I've watched multiple how-tos and have been explained many times, but I just cannot execute them even though in my head I know how to do them.

Tricks I just don't care to learn are nose manuals or hang 5s. They just seem like a pain in the ass to learn and falling forward to my hands isn't fun. I like doing the tricks I can do now and just try to link them together when I can.

I guess it's not as bad as when I first started riding and I could hop over bar height shit and grind over bar height ledges but couldn't roll out of a 180 haha

|

5/25/2017 6:31 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I can whip, bar, table, but cannot for the life of me figure turndowns out. I've watched multiple how-tos and have been explained many times, but I just cannot execute them even though in my head I know how to do them.

Tricks I just don't care to learn are nose manuals or hang 5s. They just seem like a pain in the ass to learn and falling forward to my hands isn't fun. I like doing the tricks I can do now and just try to link them together when I can.

I guess it's not as bad as when I first started riding and I could hop over bar height shit and grind over bar height ledges but couldn't roll out of a 180 haha

I used to try learning turn downs, and was doing table tops. Then I dialed table tops and used the same formula to in turn learn proper turn downs.

Learning nose manuals was not my cup of tea, I suggest skipping that whole ordeal hahaha. Older you get the worse it'll be lol.

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

5/25/2017 6:59 PM

Whips are dumb, I had em for like a summer and lost em due to back issues.

Took me 6 years of constant attempts to get em figured out, had em 1 in 10-20, then dialed to nearly every for about 2 months or so.

Haven't landed one in probably 4 years.

I have done hundreds of barspins, 180 bars both ways and trucks normal way, and now I rarely touch those too. Same with 540s. I never huck em anymore.

Maybe if I rode more than every couple weeks (lately) I would do more. I just jib around and when at the park I do the same like 5 things. This last time I fufanu'd a euro step up thing I have been eyeing for WAY too long.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/25/2017 8:57 PM

Whips and barspins , not interested in learning them either , go to parks these days and every 16 year old kids doing them but can barely air a foot over coping , more interested in learning original stuff I don't see allot of riders do

|

5/25/2017 9:53 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Whips are dumb, I had em for like a summer and lost em due to back issues.

Took me 6 years of constant attempts to get em figured out, had em 1 in 10-20, then dialed to nearly every for about 2 months or so.

Haven't landed one in probably 4 years.

I have done hundreds of barspins, 180 bars both ways and trucks normal way, and now I rarely touch those too. Same with 540s. I never huck em anymore.

Maybe if I rode more than every couple weeks (lately) I would do more. I just jib around and when at the park I do the same like 5 things. This last time I fufanu'd a euro step up thing I have been eyeing for WAY too long.

Same problem. Not a matter of skill so much a matter of putting every bit of life I have into hucking the shit out of it! Just don't have it in me sometimes

|

5/25/2017 10:39 PM

I'm the same. Can't do tailwhips, never even really tried them. Used to be able to do barspins fairly consistently (hop bars, 180 hop bars, and over jumps when I was feeling brave). I can 360 hop but don't do them often, I just prefer the feel of 180 sliders.
I also don't care for pegs. I learnt all the basic grinds years ago before 14mm axles existed, and got sick of breaking my bike so took them off.
I don't ride trails (it was all I'd ride for a few years) because they scare me. I've never really liked riding quarters either so I still can't air properly! I air like a street rider, I do a few cranks, and hop and tuck when I hit the coping.
I can still do tables, x ups, toboggans, turndowns, un turndowns, and downside tables (and variations of, like one handed or one footed, or like one footed x to can can etc. 1 handed tables over a hip are one of the nicest feeling "in the air" tricks in my opinion).

I mostly just do manuals, wall rides, pedal slides, hop over stuff and 180's now.

But although my bag of tricks is pretty small, and I'm a pussy compared to how I used to ride. I like to think my consistency almost makes us for it. I don't often have to try something more than a couple of times before I get it done. Like any of my instagram clips are usually first try. And I like to do runs, not just one trick then stop. Skateboard videos used to be a huge influence on my riding, so I guess I ride like a skateboarder.
I also love finding weird stuff that no one else would think of riding. Which is why skateparks generally bore the shit out of me.

Sorry for the essay......

|

5/25/2017 11:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/26/2017 4:57 AM

Whips, turndowns, nose manuals, barspins, flairs, 540's, x-ups, icepicks, pegs and smith 180's any way, airing a quarter over 4 foot.... The list of the tricks I can't do, or at least can't do properly is long like my arm.

But there's some tricks I do want to learn and put some effort into them like 540's (I got nice 450 fakie and 360's gotta be my most consistent tricks, hop, down stairs or off kickers so it just take some motivation to get to the 5), barspins (throwing them since a little month, gotta work on them they are far from consistent), nose manuals (I can hang 5 all day long, I learned to fall over the bar with them, the balance point being just next to the fall over point, you just have to push your bike down and run away, If you try to not fall over, you're gonna get stuck on the bike and hurt yourself, real nose manuals are another deals in terms of balance tho) and of course flairs and flips, flair is like my dream tricks since I started riding, I attempted it a long while ago when I started riding since not too long (and obviously not long enough) and never re attempted since, now it should work easy with some commitement, I'll soon bring a mattress to a park and do a flair session, backflips, also, I can backflip on a snowboard and skis on way bigger jumps I would ever jump on my bike, and also really properly on my bike in a foam pit, but never commited to the real ground....

And there's tricks I can't do and just don't give a fuck like whips, I so much hate whips, even if I can throw them nice and fast, but just can't get those legs over my frames, it would might not take so much effort to get them (like a few whip sessions) but as I said before.... I hate whips... x-ups too in the air or on some pegs, it's just a weird trick.....

|

5/26/2017 4:47 AM

I'm at the learning point on everything, Bhops, manuals, wheelies etc, at the moment I can't say there is anything that I DON'T want to learn, but as said I'm a beginner so i need to follow that progression, i only get out on the bike a couple of times a week if i'm lucky, and its usually not for long, maybe half hour sessions, but the Hops are getting higher, been trying 180's and getting it halfway round, i also don't ride with anyone else so trying to figure stuff out yourself usually takes longer, also been at an old local park next to work a few times and slowly learning airing out and bowl type riding as well.

|

5/26/2017 9:42 AM

I wish I would have tried more when I was younger and careless. Rode any and all trails I could but besides tables and x-up variations, I never felt comfortable with tricks. Trying to add some tricks to my bag now, but it's tough only riding for like 2 hours a week. Would like to get bars, tucks, no foot cans, smooth 3s, and turndowns.

|

5/26/2017 10:06 AM

I really don't like handrails. I have done a few, but I'm 42 now and try to avoid them. That's 1 trick area that you tend to pull no problem or get wrecked. Lower flat rails or like 2' rails I will do at times. I just don't want to get jacked up on a big rail and not be able to ride for a long period of time. I just had a 3rd knee surgery and at 42 injuries don't heal as fast. When I was 19 I blew my ACL and MCL on a really bad slide out after jumping a set of 25' doubles. I was back riding with a brace in 4 months. Next time I was 31 and blew my ACL again and it took 6 months to get back riding. Now recovering from a minscus surgery and my knee is still not 100% and the surgery was in September. So, I avoid rails lol I can do them but I choose not to. Oddly I will still grind a 4' ledge from flat and land flat. I think it's a mental thing.

I can't crank flip to save my life. Think maybe I have pulled 4-5 in the past 10 years. My mind just can't get the scoop on the pedal to get them around.

Also, my manuals have not came back to what they had been before my 1st knee surgery. Not sure if it is due to riding a 21" toptube when I have always rode 20.75 or if because of scar tissue I can't keep my knees loose enough now. I don't have an awful manual but it us to be so easy and now I can do say 30 yards and that's about my max. If ANYONE has any tips I'll try it! I use to manual forever.

|

5/26/2017 10:10 AM

Roose87 wrote:

I wish I would have tried more when I was younger and careless. Rode any and all trails I could but besides tables and x-up variations, I never felt comfortable with tricks. Trying to add some tricks to my bag now, but it's tough only riding for like 2 hours a week. Would like to get bars, tucks, no foot cans, smooth 3s, and turndowns.

On 3's it's really a 270, if you can 180, you can get it. Use a hip or kicker. And carve say near 45 of a 180, then follow your head. Keep it turned as you spin looking towards your shoulder the direction you are spinning. I have seen multiple videos on it on YouTube that really shows in detail how to get it down. Like I said if you can 180, I'm positive that you can get a 3.

|

5/26/2017 10:20 AM

Roose87 wrote:

Gack2000 wrote:

On 3's it's really a 270, if you can 180, you can get it. Use a hip or kicker. And carve say near 45 of a 180, then follow your head. Keep it turned as you spin looking towards your shoulder the direction you are spinning. I have seen multiple videos on it on YouTube that really shows in detail how to get it down. Like I said if you can 180, I'm positive that you can get a 3.

I have hop 3s and flyout 3s pretty dialed and I'll 270 a wedge. I just need to sack up and send one over a box.

For manuals, if you're not already doing it, look ahead of you instead of at your wheel. I've been dialing in my manuals recently and if I look to where I want to manual, I'll usually get there pretty easily.

|

5/27/2017 5:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/27/2017 5:40 AM

I know I will never worry about doing whips, bar spins...all the X game stuff. I want to get solid on geting air out of and off of anythign first. Manuals and bunny hops. I can already do hops, and can jump out of half pipes etc, but am getting back into adding more height and air. I want to be able to do 180's and 360s though. If I can get those going I might add bar spins just to keep my hands busy while in the air...but mostly for me it is about surviving the jump and landing first, and getting a clean landing as well. No better feeling than that.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

5/27/2017 9:05 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

I know I will never worry about doing whips, bar spins...all the X game stuff. I want to get solid on geting air out of and off of anythign first. Manuals and bunny hops. I can already do hops, and can jump out of half pipes etc, but am getting back into adding more height and air. I want to be able to do 180's and 360s though. If I can get those going I might add bar spins just to keep my hands busy while in the air...but mostly for me it is about surviving the jump and landing first, and getting a clean landing as well. No better feeling than that.

You really need to get yourself a proper new new bike bro haha

|

5/27/2017 11:14 AM

Steezy to pleazy the beezys.. For me, riding with proper technique and tasteful trick selection vastly improves my fun meter levels. Also a great spot to last all day

|

5/27/2017 2:34 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

seanthemechanic wrote:

You really need to get yourself a proper new new bike bro haha

dude...more than you know!!! I need to hit the lottery...I can't find anything that I trust on the local G-list or used either...I am not allowed to ride for 3 more weeks anyways so now it sort of doesn't matter

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

5/28/2017 5:05 PM

Rode airbag today I got worked trying backflip heel clickers and smashed on a cash roll , I really need to find my pads and get some space braces

|