Tricks you used to do but can't do anymore.

Related:
Create New Tag

11/13/2019 11:39 AM

So let me start off by saying I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. The reason I wanted to bring this up is there is a handrail at my local park I used to crooked grind all the time now I just get a mental block any time I want to try it again. Anyone on here having a similar experience?

|

I believe in hub guard protection

11/13/2019 11:45 AM

I haven’t thrown bars for about 15 years. Recently I feel sketchy with everything though, nothing feels nice or dialled

|

11/13/2019 11:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/13/2019 11:47 AM

Candy bars and candy bar airs , don’t feel that limber with getting older and bars getting taller

|

11/13/2019 11:53 AM

.pegless. wrote:

I haven’t thrown bars for about 15 years. Recently I feel sketchy with everything though, nothing feels nice or dialled

That's almost exactly the feeling I'm getting with certain tricks. Why I made this thread to see what others struggle with and how they handle it.

|

I believe in hub guard protection

11/13/2019 12:47 PM

.pegless. wrote:

threesomemist wrote:

That's almost exactly the feeling I'm getting with certain tricks. Why I made this thread to see what others struggle with and how they handle it.

I’ve handled it by stripping my bike and selling it in parts.

But a more helpful answer is to just move on. You’ve already done it, try something else. If you feel this way about riding in general, just ride some different stuff and keep it simple. It’s surprising how much fun and how much you can learn by riding some kerbs and thinking of goofy stuff to do on them.
Maybe when the weather gets good, or you have a better day riding you’ll have more confidence and ride better

|

11/13/2019 2:30 PM

Bumbles are no longer an option..

I used to have this awesome trick, when ever I hit the ground I would bounce..

I don't know how to bounce any more..

|

11/13/2019 11:59 PM

I had footjam whips for a (very) short while but then I got a bad ankle injury and couldn't ride for around a month and by the time I got back riding I couldn't do them anymore. Toboggans are another one; I have a HUGE mental block with anything that involves taking a hand off the bike so I can only do them flyout and on one or two box jumps but I don't tend to ride at parks with quarter pipes very often so whenever I do I have to relearn them.

|

11/14/2019 4:23 AM

I've got 20 years on a BMX, and honestly I have forgotten or stopped doing so many things I wouldn't even be able to list them all.

I just tinker because I am out of shape (in general and riding condition).

I work up to getting a bit nutty on occasion, but tend to keep the limbs on the bike.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/14/2019 5:59 AM

I've regressed to the point where I do a bunny hop then feel shitty about not getting much height. Then I really put some effort into it and get maybe 20% higher and get a sore back almost instantly. I've gotta say aging sucks.

|

11/14/2019 7:08 AM

Man, I lost nearly everything I used to do as a teen. No-foot cans, undowns & turndowns, barspins, 180 barspins....the list goes on. The only things I can still do (after being off a bmx bike for 15 years) are x-ups, toboggans, 1-footers, half-ass tables, and some flat tricks like 180's. I do feel like my control is better now, oddly enough. My manuals, fakies, airs and stuff feel good still. Its a challenge trying to relearn stuff but that's what makes it fun and motivates me to keep going.

|

Streetbikes and Bicycles

11/14/2019 7:28 AM

Barspins,tailwhips,tucknohanders. It's not that I can't do em it's more like they aren't as solid/controlled feeling. I can still table,turndown,xup n all that shit but I'm not tweeking it like I have before or it'll happen but it was a matter of limbering up much later in the sesh. Just getting old really and appreciating all of riding and not caring if I'm clicked as Mike Aitken every time I leave the ramp hah. Not that there's anything wrong with that but I don't strive for perfection with things I know I can do like when I was younger yknow

|

@coupd_tat

11/14/2019 8:27 AM

Like some of these guys I’ve been mostly off my bike since the early 2000’s. I am just starting again and with my mid school bike I feel a bit squirrelly on a lo of stuff. I was heavy into all riding except flatland but I’ve hit a few parks and was able to still do some lip tricks and airs on a mini and I managed a 360 over a 4’ spine. I was scared to try no footed can cans and any barspin tricks but feel it’ll mostly come back in time.

Back in the 90’s I was OBSESSED with being able to do all of my tricks and not lose any at any time. To the point when I’d have to do a double truck driver over a spine every time I was at a park or some other 360 variation at the trails or a barspin off a handrail etc. I was my own worst critic and I’d also develop mental blocks. For a while I couldn’t help but carve on my 360’s on dirt. It drove me nuts and I ended up thinking about it too much to the point I was thinking about all the little details instead of just letting it flow and muscle memory taking it over.

Just let the trick go and come back to it later. Muscle memory will take over once you’re not over analyzing it.

|

11/14/2019 9:14 AM

Spine ramps. I would hit them a lot until i got scared and now i just have a mental block.

|

11/14/2019 12:11 PM

i used to ride in shows all the time. so had the typical show tricks, flips, 360 whips and bars. superman seats. no foot cans.. i was like 175lbs.. then in 2012 i got ran over/ broke my back and.. gained 100lbs now im at 285 and all i really do is fufanus, 540 tire taps and backflips. slowly trying to lose weight and get close to that level again

|

11/14/2019 1:28 PM

i used to do candybars and now i get stuck in them
i used to do suicide 1 hander barturns and table suicide 1hander barturns but i missed my hand one time and stopped doing them. i still cant decide if theyre worth the crash because theyre badass
handrail height used to be sketchy tall but i could still get on it with confidence. that height has dropped to jersey barrier height after i broke both my hands 7 years ago

i think i have most everything else.
im too scared to do long feebles but i think thats cuase my peg is super tiny
i used to be able to hold long smith grinds, cant no more
i also wouldnt dare try and icepick a quarterpipe these days, buuuut i think thats cuase the small peg
i dont do big 360's anymore becuase im scared
i stopped doing bugsplat wallrides cuase they always hurt'ed and still do.

|

wallride a bus everyday

11/14/2019 1:30 PM

ohhhh, i used to have no handers too, shit, that was my third trick after 1 handers then xups... always wanted to learn them on a quarter air and never really got my hands more than 6inches off trying them

|

wallride a bus everyday

11/18/2019 4:43 AM

Mulletsnax wrote:

i used to ride in shows all the time. so had the typical show tricks, flips, 360 whips and bars. superman seats. no foot cans.. i was like 175lbs.. then in 2012 i got ran over/ broke my back and.. gained 100lbs now im at 285 and all i really do is fufanus, 540 tire taps and backflips. slowly trying to lose weight and get close to that level again

I wish my trick list included the casual 360 whip. 🙌🙌 I'm sure you can get them all back within a couple years.

|

11/18/2019 7:16 AM

Hang 5s are on and off, i hate that trick but it feels so good when you get more than 5 feet. Kinda like a much harder rocket manual

|

Barends are for weenies

11/18/2019 7:36 AM

Flyout 360's...just learned them like a month or 2 ago.

I was able to do maybe 1/10 at worst and 3/10 on average. I did 7 in a row at my best, thought I had them dialed in. Been trying them since that day and haven't landed a single one.

To be fair, I havent been practicing them much and I havent been trying them in the same location I learned them. Still frustrating to feel like I "learned" them and to have them completely disappear from my trick list the very next day. Lol

|

11/19/2019 4:44 AM

DutchridesBmx wrote:

Spine ramps. I would hit them a lot until i got scared and now i just have a mental block.

Foot plant over em. That ALWAYS helped me get through the block of a spine.

OR if you have brakes, tire tap over.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/19/2019 2:15 PM

Been there. .

|

11/19/2019 6:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/19/2019 6:45 PM

Boycotted a few things over the years that I used to do.
540 airs. Front tire clip crashes are harsh!
Tuck No handers. Learned suicides, and cant find the bars on tucks.
Reverts. Due to heavy bike set ups, and a couple back tire clips, I'll take a letter every time.

|

11/19/2019 6:52 PM

nicknoblehellabmx wrote:

Reverts. Due to heavy bike set ups, and a couple back tire clips, I'll take a letter every time.

I’m missing a front tooth from nose casing a 540 , that trick will thrash a guy if it goes wrong

|

11/19/2019 7:02 PM

nicknoblehellabmx wrote:

eskimojay wrote:

I’m missing a front tooth from nose casing a 540 , that trick will thrash a guy if it goes wrong

Gnarly stuff. My crashes on em didn't give me any injuries, but hella sore from bein thrown to the ground like that. Enough to not want em..

|

11/22/2019 3:10 AM

Spent a few months learning several slider tricks variations and suddenly realized I could even half cab anymore .....it was like the slider completely replaced the half-cab in my brain and I really had to concentrate just to do a freakin half cab!!

If I’m just spooked - I take this guy’s advice

|