Trip to France

Related:
Create New Tag

5/29/2016 8:26 AM

Summer is looming up, and this summer is going to be crazy as heck. I'm leaving the home turf for a month to catch up with my french side of the family.

I'm gonna be getting the french ultralight license, go on a internship at an aircraft company, go to a MTB park, do paragliding...

And I'm bringing my BMX with me.

Places I will go to include:

-Grenoble (or in the zone)
-Aix en Provence
-Paris
-Dunkirk
-Belgium

Now, who are in those zones? Who knows great stuff, spots, trails or great skateparks?

Francky, I know you are en France, ca t'interesse si on se voit un peu?

As this will be my first time traveling with my bike, I wanted to make sure that I would not be stopped. With all the terrorist attacks, security will be quite suspicious of a guy with a huge golf bag that passes the metal detector with a huge BEEP...

I'm traveling with the SNCF/TGV, and I don't really need to pay anything as it is considered as luggage. If I have to pay something, it will be 10 euros, and in that case the bike will be assembled. Hey, as long as it is in a golf bag, it's considered as packed, huh? Still, guy with a golf bag will freak out some dudes... Best way to hide a AK...Or a bomb... Friggin terrorists...

My real concern are the airlines. I will have to take a transit flight, but there shouldn't be any problems there. Naw. They crop up when I go to retrieve my bag at Charles de Gaulle and when I leave the country at the end of the holidays.

I've combed the internet, ride BMX, and this forum (I believe there is a thread on traveling with the bikes somewhere on here), and, as long as I have a dumb check-in guy and look smart and sweet, I've got no problem.

The only pain will come from the fact that I will have to forget the baggage claim and go straight to the "overweight/oversized" luggage area, which will cost me precious minutes. French security knows what they are doing and will be pricky as hell. They'll ask me what I have inside. They'll ask me to open the bag.

I have a story made up-I'm a 17 year old teen on holiday, I've got a fragile ukelele, golf clubs and vinyl discs for my grandparents. I'll make sure to shave and look nice, fresh and polite...

Still, with those attacks lately, they sure have an X-Ray machine... And the magic of the gold bags will run off like water... The rims and frame will show, and lying to them is basically an insult.

Risk it? Lie? They'll get angry and confiscate my ride.

Say that I've got a self-made frame for my cousin as a birthday present?

Ideas? What do you think I should do? Buy a new complete instead?

I'm ditching my bars, stem, seat, and sprocket here as I'm planning on freshening up my ride. I'm thinking of:

-Superstar Mercury topload stem (53 mm reach)
-BSD 10 inch bars
-ODI Longnecks
-Eclat, Fly or BSD Superlite sprockets
-Federal dyed seat (the one with those psychedelic colors) and seat post (changing to Tripod)
-New pedals (probably metal Eclat Slashes)

The idea will be to ship it to my address in france and build up my bike with those new parts...

Oh, and Im not getting the DK gold bag-I'm getting a real traveler's golf bag, padded, supported, etc... Damn, that thing will be friggin expensive..

Thanks for anything!

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

5/29/2016 10:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/29/2016 10:38 AM

As long as it's not a full bike you can call it bike parts (which is why some people spread the bike over a couple of bags) which usually saves money. But it sounds like that's not the issue?
I bet they get at least one person a day travelling with bike in a bag, so there's nothing strange about it. Just be honest and do what they ask you to do. Shouldn't be an issue?

Edit: I've never ridden in France but there's a decent indoor park in calais that a couple of friends have ridden before. I can see Calais from my front yard on a clear day haha. Then there's the legendary concrete park in Marsielle that looks awesome.

|

5/29/2016 12:11 PM

As long as it's not assembled and can fit in one bag I'm sure you won't get charged anything crazy . The best thing to do is best honest dealing with any type of enforcement , I watch Border Security all the time and you see fuckwits lying about anything and they immediately search and go deeper into the story to find out stuff , if they ask I'd just be like "ya I have a bike in here and it's not assembled" and if they ask just say you're on a trip and its your hobby .

And in my opinion getting a new set up before travel will be awesome , new bike and a new place will always feel good , plus you'll have lower odds of shit happening to it if your older parts break .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/29/2016 2:16 PM

If they want to charge ya, they're going to charge ya. I've seen both sides many times. I don't think it has much to do with who you are or what you say. It has everything to do with who they are and what they feel like doing.

If you're taking any short flights in Europe, plan on paying. It's virtually impossible to get by on those ones. Flying from Estonia to Barcelona a month ago, they charged my buddy €170. It gets pretty ridiculous...

|

5/29/2016 2:24 PM

When i traveled, customs always ask what's in my bmx box.

I tell them it's a children's bike and not a sport equipment.
I did fully disassemble my bike into 2 boxes though.

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

5/29/2016 3:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/29/2016 3:46 PM

I could be wrong but I believe this was filmed in France? Might help you with spots to lookout for!

|

MOTW- 6/21/10- 6/27/10
Refs- Hyphy
Facebook

5/29/2016 3:47 PM

kylecarlson wrote:

If they want to charge ya, they're going to charge ya. I've seen both sides many times. I don't think it has much to do with who you are or what you say. It has everything to do with who they are and what they feel like doing.

If you're taking any short flights in Europe, plan on paying. It's virtually impossible to get by on those ones. Flying from Estonia to Barcelona a month ago, they charged my buddy €170. It gets pretty ridiculous...

Fuck eh Uncle Sam getting everyone . Guess the dude was in a pissy mood loool.

@OG post Main thing is to be polite and ya they help you out more if you're not a cunt about things

|

My Cult 2 Short

5/29/2016 10:34 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

@OG post Main thing is to be polite and ya they help you out more if you're not a cunt about things

That was in Estonia. I don't think Uncle Sam lives there.

|

5/29/2016 11:47 PM

kylecarlson wrote:

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

kylecarlson wrote:

That was in Estonia. I don't think Uncle Sam lives there.

Must have snuck on the luggage then

|

My Cult 2 Short

5/30/2016 2:51 AM

I'm taking the train for the short hops, thanks. No way I would want to re-live all my stress and problems...

My main concern is when I get into the country with half a bike. On a baggage claim, you've got so many bags no one will notice or take the time to enquire. When it is on an oversized luggage area, they will have the time...

Lie about it first with fragile stuff then suggest a "special present" for my cousin?

Or just go there, give em 100 euros and go?

What are the possible problems if you get caught lying?

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

5/30/2016 3:01 AM

I can't see why you'd want to lie? It's not like you're smuggling kilos of cocaine. It's just a bike in a bag, they see it every day

|

5/30/2016 10:51 AM

Skylight wrote:

I'm taking the train for the short hops, thanks. No way I would want to re-live all my stress and problems...

My main concern is when I get into the country with half a bike. On a baggage claim, you've got so many bags no one will notice or take the time to enquire. When it is on an oversized luggage area, they will have the time...

Lie about it first with fragile stuff then suggest a "special present" for my cousin?

Or just go there, give em 100 euros and go?

What are the possible problems if you get caught lying?

A lot of times they don't even ask. I wouldn't sweat it, but I'd have some cash on hand just in case.

I can't imagine anything bad happening if you get caught in a lie. I'd just keep it vague - not telling the whole truth. It's "sporting equipment" or "camping supplies." A bike is technically sporting equipment and you can technically take it camping.

I have a buddy who would always wrap his bike in a bunch of towels and throw three golf clubs in on top of it so if they do look inside, the first thing they see is a golf club. I thought that was a bit over the top...

|