Truing wheels? Headset noise??

Related:
Create New Tag

5/15/2013 8:26 PM

I know how to true a wheel, and understand the concept of getting rid of hop in the wheel. I tried for like and hour and it was still there so i loosened all the spokes and then tightened them and that seemed to help a bit, but theres gotta be an easier way? Also, i just got a new headset, Fiend, and i can tighten it until its tight with no play or wobble in the fork, stem/bars, but it still makes a sound like its loose. We all know that sound and its annoying as hell considering its brand new. Ive tightened it, loosened it, retightened it etc, and it still makes the noise. It spins fine so i havent added any grease or oil or anything yet but im going to try that tomorrow. Any ideas as to what it could be and how to fix it? Thanks

|

5/15/2013 8:43 PM

For truing wheels, it takes time no matter how experienced you are. And for your headset, your headtube cup could be ovalized or your fork compression bolt sucks. My stem is hard to go down the steerer tube and I don't use grease inside of the stem so I just torque the crap outta my compression bolt till it stops making the sound.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

5/15/2013 8:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/15/2013 8:53 PM

My fbm is doing it mixed with a trashed driver (DIY spots raped me today) and blown bearings in the front, and a half ass chain. Sounds like dice in a Yahtzee cup. Bearings sometimes have to break in. Especially if you have a new frame/headset. The grease needs to work it's way in. It should go away, at least mine always does

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

5/15/2013 8:52 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

For truing wheels, it takes time no matter how experienced you are. And for your headset, your headtube cup could be ovalized or your fork compression bolt sucks. My stem is hard to go down the steerer tube and I don't use grease inside of the stem so I just torque the crap outta my compression bolt till it stops making the sound.

Nah, its a brand new frame and headset, so i doubt its ovalized. My stem goes on fone, i have r32 forks so its no the fork/compression bolt, and if i tighten the shiit out of it, it doesnt spin, and it still makes the noise too,

|

5/15/2013 8:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/15/2013 8:59 PM

future FBM wrote:

My fbm is doing it mixed with a trashed driver (DIY spots raped me today) and blown bearings in the front, and a half ass chain. Sounds like dice in a Yahtzee cup. Bearings sometimes have to break in. Especially if you have a new frame/headset. The grease needs to work it's way in. It should go away, at least mine always does

Alright sounds good. I only rode it for like 2 hours today, cuz my back wheel was being a fucking bitch. So i guess ill just add a bit of grease to it too and go from there. Thanks!

|

5/15/2013 9:12 PM

I absolutely hate my front hub. It's so blown out right now.. The last time, I had the stock bearings. And when they blew out, the whole wheel slowed down so much and when you put took it off and tried to reinstall the wheel, the hub bearings made the hub all wobbly and loose feeling and shit..

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

5/15/2013 11:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/15/2013 11:38 PM

a little bit of nail polish in the cups to make the bearing fit tight mine did the same and i did that trick and it hasn't done it since

|

ride or die

5/16/2013 8:32 AM

One of your headset bearings could be upside down.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

5/16/2013 9:31 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Highly doubtable.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

5/16/2013 10:01 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

andyferly wrote:

Highly doubtable.

Happened to me once.

|

bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

5/16/2013 11:49 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

andyferly wrote:

Highly doubtable.

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Happened to me once.

Not trying to question your intelligence but I'm pretty sure 99% of the people put the bearing the right way in.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

5/16/2013 2:36 PM

I'm in the 1%! Yessssssss!!!

|

bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling