Trying to find a good 14" wheel build

Related:
Create New Tag

10/10/2017 2:14 AM

Hi my lads just turned 6 he's riding cult juvi 12 with longer stem rides brakeless all park . Fancy trying him on a 14 as a 16 " way to big . Looking for good spec if possible any ideas thanks

|

10/10/2017 3:13 AM

Unfortunately non of the little bikes are really good spec. You get what you pay for though, so any of the more expensive ones will be as good as you can get. It changes massively when you get up to 18" wheels though, there's more good aftermarket parts out there. I might pimp my sons 18", or get him an fbm youngboy 20" for when he's a little bigger

|

10/10/2017 3:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/10/2017 3:24 AM

Thanks Steve I find 12 , 16 ok but really struggle to find a 14 anywere I'd happily pay a frame builder to do me a one off frustrating as kids little ride bikes heavier than adults lol thanks for reply bud

|

10/10/2017 3:34 AM

Im in a similar position as you at the moment. My son is 3 and getting too big now for his strider balance bike so i was looking for a proper bike for him too.

I dont know about getting him a 12 inch as i think he might grow out of it too quick (hes pretty tall for his age) so was looking at maybe getting him a 14 inch. Maybe 12 inch might be better for him though ?

There are very few 14 inch bikes out there at all. It seems to go from 12 to 16 inch really.

The only 3 i could find (and none are as good as the 12 or 16s available) are these ones below (and even the Haro one cant be found anywhere for sale. They all seem to be gone)

Mongoose Scan R-14. Would have to take off all the crap on it but im considering this as a cheap stop gap until he can get a 16 http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/kids-bikes/mongoose-scan-r14-kids-bmx-bike-14

Blank Digit (about twice the price of the Mongoose) http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/blank-digit-14-bmx-bike-2017/rp-prod147602

Haro Frontside https://www.evanscycles.com/haro-frontside-14-2017-bmx-bike-EV291003

They are literally the only 3 i could find, and even one of them (Haro) cant be found for sale anywhere

|

10/10/2017 6:09 AM

billy mc wrote:

Thanks Steve I find 12 , 16 ok but really struggle to find a 14 anywere I'd happily pay a frame builder to do me a one off frustrating as kids little ride bikes heavier than adults lol thanks for reply bud

I'm sure there's plenty of frame builders that would, but would the cost really be worth it? Kids bikes are too heavy, but they're not going flat out jumping off stuff anyway really. It would hold some value if another parent wants a badass bike for their kid, but not many people are prepared to spend too much on a bike that'll only last a couple of years.

Although, I had a thought of getting a frame built for my son that could fit 18" and 20" wheels, so I could just swap out some parts when he gets bigger. Only problem with that is the axle to crown of the forks would throw the geometry out

|

10/10/2017 6:29 AM

U.P.O. wrote:

Im in a similar position as you at the moment. My son is 3 and getting too big now for his strider balance bike so i was looking for a proper bike for him too.

I dont know about getting him a 12 inch as i think he might grow out of it too quick (hes pretty tall for his age) so was looking at maybe getting him a 14 inch. Maybe 12 inch might be better for him though ?

There are very few 14 inch bikes out there at all. It seems to go from 12 to 16 inch really.

The only 3 i could find (and none are as good as the 12 or 16s available) are these ones below (and even the Haro one cant be found anywhere for sale. They all seem to be gone)

Mongoose Scan R-14. Would have to take off all the crap on it but im considering this as a cheap stop gap until he can get a 16 http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/kids-bikes/mongoose-scan-r14-kids-bmx-bike-14

Blank Digit (about twice the price of the Mongoose) http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/blank-digit-14-bmx-bike-2017/rp-prod147602

Haro Frontside https://www.evanscycles.com/haro-frontside-14-2017-bmx-bike-EV291003

They are literally the only 3 i could find, and even one of them (Haro) cant be found for sale anywhere

I will tell you... the 12" cult is big. i expect my boy that has it to ride it well into his 5s. he's an average size 4 year old now and its just starting to fit him properly.

|

10/10/2017 7:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/10/2017 7:13 AM

|

10/10/2017 7:58 AM

jmz313 wrote:

I will tell you... the 12" cult is big. i expect my boy that has it to ride it well into his 5s. he's an average size 4 year old now and its just starting to fit him properly.

Thanks for that. Just looked up the cult and its a 13.25" top tube compared to the 12" top tube on most 12 inch bikes.

That could definitely buy him a bit more time on the bike

|

10/10/2017 8:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/10/2017 8:37 AM

Thanks bulletpup just messaged to see if they will ship to U.K.

|

10/10/2017 8:38 AM

U.P.O. wrote:

jmz313 wrote:

Your right my lad just starting to out grow now he's 6

|

10/10/2017 8:39 AM

billy mc wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

I'm sure there's plenty of frame builders that would, but would the cost really be worth it? Kids bikes are too heavy, but they're not going flat out jumping off stuff anyway really. It would hold some value if another parent wants a badass bike for their kid, but not many people are prepared to spend too much on a bike that'll only last a couple of years.

Although, I had a thought of getting a frame built for my son that could fit 18" and 20" wheels, so I could just swap out some parts when he gets bigger. Only problem with that is the axle to crown of the forks would throw the geometry out

He's flat out jumping

|

10/10/2017 8:46 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F222647113025

billy mc wrote:

Thanks bulletpup just messaged to see if they will ship to U.K.

Turns out it has coaster brakes but they are very easy to remove the friction plates if that ends up bring what you purchase.

|

10/10/2017 11:15 AM

Fit just released the Misfit line for 2018, they have a 12, 16 and 18 inch bikes. Looking pretty solid too.

As to a 14" there is not much out there. I scored a 14" bike for my son for 10 bucks, but it is a Tony Hawk setup. Looks like a tiny BMX and he is just cruising at this point (HE LEARNED TO RIDE A LEGIT TWO WHEELER LAST WEEK!!!) so it isn't much of an issue.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/11/2017 11:33 AM

Looked at a custom frame build but can't really get parts for a 14 so I opted for the dk aura 14 had to buy from USA

|

10/11/2017 11:42 AM

billy mc wrote:

Looked at a custom frame build but can't really get parts for a 14 so I opted for the dk aura 14 had to buy from USA

Cool deal! Im glad you found something make sure and get some vool pics of him ripping on it!

|

10/11/2017 11:55 AM

Photo

|

10/11/2017 12:12 PM

billy mc wrote: Photo

He fucking flies! Very impressed thats a bad ass kid you got there!

|

10/11/2017 12:13 PM

Make sure and disable those coaster brakes as soon as you get it if hes going to be airing like that! smile

|

10/11/2017 12:35 PM

That's awesome!

|

10/11/2017 12:38 PM

Ha thanks not sure how to post vids but he's got done cooo stuff for just hitting 6 last month check him. Out billy-Neil Mc Bmx on Instagram, yeah bike will be stripped as many lighter parts put on all brakes removed esp coaster rear wheel rebuilt to fit 9t sprocket pedals etc n ready to shred il put few vids up in here when j work out how to do it thanks bulletpup

|

10/11/2017 2:53 PM

Is that override skatepark in gateshead? That and dynamix are the only indoor skateparks near me. Even if its not its still awesome.

|

Hmmm

10/11/2017 9:49 PM

Yep sure is override in pic Edman

|

10/21/2017 9:36 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Make sure and disable those coaster brakes as soon as you get it if hes going to be airing like that! smile

I would legit just get a cassette with matching axle size and relace the rim to it-then you don't have a heavy piece of crap hub. (Although then it acts like a cheap freecoaster)

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/21/2017 12:41 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

I would legit just get a cassette with matching axle size and relace the rim to it-then you don't have a heavy piece of crap hub. (Although then it acts like a cheap freecoaster)

Yeah Dave thanks managed to get some hubs with a 9 tooth sprocket going to replace hub il see what the frames like top tube rear stays length if no go il get a ted James frame and put 14 build kit on it

|

10/25/2017 2:06 AM

Photo

Photo bike all sorted new hub etc thsnks for all the help

|

10/25/2017 2:28 AM

That kid is insane. His bike looks awesome too!

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

10/25/2017 6:26 AM

Photo bike all sorted new hub etc thsnks for all the help

Nice!

|

4/1/2020 6:39 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

billy mc wrote:

Yeah Dave thanks managed to get some hubs with a 9 tooth sprocket going to replace hub il see what the frames like top tube rear stays length if no go il get a ted James frame and put 14 build kit on it

I know this post is old, but can you remember where you found that hub with 9T sprocket to fit the 14" wheel? My daughter has just got the 14" DK Aura and I'm tearing my hair out trying to find one. I disabled the coster brake for her, but starting to wish I just spent the extra and got her the Cult Juvi 14".

Cheers!

|

4/1/2020 7:38 AM

trentdrake wrote:

I know this post is old, but can you remember where you found that hub with 9T sprocket to fit the 14" wheel? My daughter has just got the 14" DK Aura and I'm tearing my hair out trying to find one. I disabled the coster brake for her, but starting to wish I just spent the extra and got her the Cult Juvi 14".

Cheers!

Fit has 14" wheelsets.

https://fitbikeco.com/product-category/wheels/

|

4/1/2020 10:25 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

billy mc wrote:

trentdrake wrote:

Cheers!

Go with fit. Also if you do decide to get here a new bike. Just get the fit misfit 14” the quality is amazing compared to the cult.

We are also building a new 14” with 28h profiles/ti internals/ ti spokes laced up to 28h rims from the kink pump. So there are a few options for 14” wheels

|