Trying to get my bike dialed.....

Related:
Create New Tag

8/8/2013 3:33 PM

I bought a complete a few weeks ago and it's always made weird noises and it's started to bug me so i'm trying to get it dialed in. I haven't been able to figure out what exactly is making noise but it feels like it's coming from 2 places, the crank/pedals and the headset.

After further investigation my sprocket seems bent. Also when turning the crank it feels as if it's rubbing on the inside. I was going to follow a tutorial and take it apart and re-grease it. Any thing I should keep in mind?

As for the headset I fear I may have put the bars on wrong when I initially did it. In which order do you tighten everything?

I weigh 195lbs, could it just be that I'm a bit big for my bike and that is causing the creaking? Thanks for any help you can provide.

|

8/9/2013 10:33 AM

So yeah....I can't get the cranks off. The bolts are too tight. I don't want to strip them so i'm just gonna stop. Sucks because the crank def has noise coming from it and the sprocket appears bent when I spin the cranks. I just want to ride, this shit is getting annoying.

|

8/9/2013 10:48 AM

the oder you tighten your headset is compression bolt, clamp bolts, compression bolt

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check
Bought from Tomdon, and ScramHype

8/9/2013 10:49 AM

and for the bolts being to tight put a closed end of a wrench around your allen wrench to get more leverage

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check
Bought from Tomdon, and ScramHype

8/9/2013 10:59 AM

Make sure your chain is not overly tight and is lubed this could be why it feels like its rubbing when you turn your cranks. Your headset i would just make sure you don't have it overly tight and its not loose either i put mine just tight enough so there's no play in it. What kind of bike did you buy does it have a sealed headset and sealed bottom bracket? And also if your cranks are already tight make sure your pedals are tight. And if it is the crank i discovered that some complete bikes come with cranks that don't have an alan key bolt to tighten the sprocket so look and see if your cranks have a removable sprocket bolt if not than that's most likely the creaking noise happened with my gf's stock Verde

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit

8/9/2013 11:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/9/2013 11:59 AM

It's a 2013 kink whip. It's a grinding sound. The chains off the pedals are off. Just down to cranks and sprocket. When I spin the cranks the sprocket appears bent and there sounds like there's dirt or sand inside the cranks making a grinding sound.

I want to take it off and clean and lube them but it's being a pain in the ass.

Almost got the entire crank off. Almost...

|

8/9/2013 12:01 PM

Hmm well i just checked out the bike it has sealed everything so ya your best bet is to just take the cranks off and lube everything up.

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit

8/9/2013 12:39 PM

You need more spacers... at your cranks make them equal on both sides if needed.... and to dial your bike just tighten everything.... good

|

Ride Or Die
PrimoPro Hub All Day
Tan Walls above all

8/9/2013 9:32 PM

I'm just gonna put it back together and deal with the shit until it brakes. These bolts just won't budge. I really don't want to strip the bolts so i'm done.

|

8/9/2013 9:54 PM

to get the bolts off with out stripping it get the right size hex key that fits snug and as jj0996 said take the closed end on a long wrench on the hex key for leverage. and for the sprocket take it off and put it flat on the ground and hit it with a mallet till its strait or just buy a new one.

|

8/9/2013 10:03 PM

paden_bmx wrote:

to get the bolts off with out stripping it get the right size hex key that fits snug and as jj0996 said take the closed end on a long wrench on the hex key for leverage. and for the sprocket take it off and put it flat on the ground and hit it with a mallet till its strait or just buy a new one.

Yeah I know. But seriously they won't budge.... I don't get it. I've worked on bikes many times and never had this issue before. The crank came assembled so I'm assuming they machine tighten them. Sadly i'll probably have to take it to a shop at some point. Hopefully I don't get myself hurt riding it like this but whatever I just want to ride at this point.

|

8/9/2013 10:28 PM

Is the sprocket looking bent at the drive hole? If so that bolt doesn't need to be done up super tight. It's there to drive the sprocket

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.