Trying to pick a new frame

Related:
Create New Tag

3/21/2018 2:19 PM

So I want to get back into riding again after about 10 years from a very long hiatus. Last time I rode was probably 2008 and it had been since about 2006 before that. My last bike I got in 2002 or so was Poverty g-ride (still have it) that weighed in 35ish lb range. 74HT 21"TT 11.2"BB and currently sitting at 15"CS. So I know that any newer bike aside from a trail specific bike is going to have completely different geometry than my old tank did. Problem is I never did or do ride trails. Honestly I like grinding and spinning and more tech type stuff and always preferred going at stuff a little slower. Did like big gaps and riding ramps so that geo helped alot with that stuff but was more or less a forced thing because a 35lb bike just ain't techy lol. Besides I'm gonna be 33 this year so I'm seeing huge gaps fading from my future and more slow tech stuff coming in. FYI i have been trying to toss around the old tank but it's about to kill me lol. So I'm down to 2 frames the Volume vessel v2 or the sunday street sweeper. Thought i was settled on the vessel but then next day its the sweeper. Whats your guys take?

|

3/21/2018 2:28 PM

Sunday Street Sweeper or Sunday Soundwave.... both are amazing frames! I love my Soundwave....

But do you have other quality parts to use? Like bars, fork, wheels?

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

3/21/2018 2:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/21/2018 2:38 PM

This is gonna be a complete build up so nothing's set in stone yet. Also since i haven't bought a bike since 2002 all my parts are pretty much a no go on a new build. The bars on that poverty are 7" rise and like 24" width i think. Madness lol But will give me something fun to experiment with on the new build. I also have a pair of 8"rise 30" width bars from my first bmx a 98 Mongoose Hoop-D ha
Btw I'm 5' 11" and gonna probably go with the 21TT.

EDIT: Guess what I'm really wanting to know is if that 12.7"CS is gonna be too crazy and twitchy. I guess my take on it is that either frame is gonna feel crazy different anyways so why not go with something a little shorter?

|

3/21/2018 2:45 PM

tbates wrote:

This is gonna be a complete build up so nothing's set in stone yet. Also since i haven't bought a bike since 2002 all my parts are pretty much a no go on a new build. The bars on that poverty are 7" rise and like 24" width i think. Madness lol But will give me something fun to experiment with on the new build. I also have a pair of 8"rise 30" width bars from my first bmx a 98 Mongoose Hoop-D ha

EDIT: Guess what I'm really wanting to know is if that 12.7"CS is gonna be too crazy and twitchy. I guess my take on it is that either frame is gonna feel crazy different anyways so why not go with something a little shorter?

So you're planning on a full out custom build then?

|

3/21/2018 2:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/21/2018 2:48 PM

Yeah pretty much. Wish i could save the wheels but they're 48h Alex triple walls and weigh a ton!

|

3/21/2018 2:54 PM

tbates wrote:

Yeah pretty much. Wish i could save the wheels but they're 48h Alex triple walls and weigh a ton!

Oh yeah, those tripple walls are sick! Definatly keep those, if you buy good aftermarket parts you probably won't notice a huge weight difference....

|

3/21/2018 3:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/21/2018 3:03 PM

Yeah they're nearly indestructible. I think you could literally chuck them into a tornado and the tornado would just self destruct and implode. The rear one with tire (Maxxis Ringworm 1.95) weighs like 6.5lbs. But seriously the front ones still banging but its 14mm axle and almost all forks are 3/8th's now. And the rear one? Well i never learned to tru a wheel when i was younger (no youtube) and its beyond truing and the spoke heads are rounded off on some oh well.

|

3/21/2018 3:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/21/2018 3:14 PM

tbates wrote:

Well, the rear end will feel fast, for sure. But then again, you haven't ridden in many years... Do you think you'd even notice or if you did, it'd matter? You will sorta be learning again

|

3/21/2018 3:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/21/2018 3:13 PM

tbates wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Well, the rear end will feel fast, for sure. But then again, you haven't ridden in many years... Do you think you'd even notice or if you did, it'd matter? You will sorta be learning again

Nah I don't think I will for real (Notice the shorter CS) Maybe at first cause i have been riding the old bike for the past month and have gotten a few tricks back. Spinning that damn thing is still a chore tho. I'm def. gonna be relearning alot I'm sure

|

3/21/2018 3:14 PM

tbates wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

tbates wrote:

Nah I don't think I will for real (Notice the shorter CS) Maybe at first cause i have been riding the old bike for the past month and have gotten a few tricks back. Spinning that damn thing is still a chore tho. I'm def. gonna be relearning alot I'm sure

Well, since you have been riding on the "tank" any street bike you get would feel fast & twitchy. Hard to say. But it seems like you have a good gasp on riding & such, I think it'd take a little getting used to but out sounds like you could adapt fast.

|

3/21/2018 3:18 PM

Dont get me wrong I was never incredible or anything lol I was okay for sure

|

3/21/2018 3:23 PM

From my experience, going from your bike to a light tech modern bike will be like night and day. You could absolutely hate the feel of a modern bike (like I do, which I found out the hard and expensive way).
I've just built up a fbm steadfast, 21.25" tt with 8.8" bars and a frontload stem. And it feels a lot more nimble than my old s&m pbr (which was lighter than your bike, and geometry closer to modern bikes).
It's a tough call, but loads of older guys still prefer a stable (by today's standards) bike.

Before the steadfast I had a custom fbm, which wasn't all that different to the steadfast. And all I rode was street. The only reason I got the steadfast really was because my custom is brakeless.

|

3/21/2018 3:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/21/2018 3:35 PM

I wouldn't go for the street sweeper, even though I do love Jake, sorry bro. That frame is about as extreme as you can go for a techy, twitchy street frame. Go with a soundwave, or motoross, or pretty much any other Sunday. I'm 31 myself, and grew up riding in the midschool days. I've played around on about 6 different frames the past 2 years since I came back. Started on a fit Benny, super tech and twitchy, felt fine but once i got something more all around, it felt much more comfortable, now I'm on more of a trails type geo, and it feels even better! I don't ride a lot of trails, but I do like to flow around the park. I'd go for something like this for all around riding. 75° head tube, 13.5+ chainstay, 11.5-11.8 bb, whatever standover you like, but I like 8-8.5 personally, just looks better to me.

Just to add the Benny I started on when I came back to riding a couple years ago has very similar if not identical geometry to the street sweeper. My current frame is 74.5° headtube, chainstay is at 14", with 11.75 bb. This feels perfect to me, and I love it so much, but like I said it took me 6 frames to figure out, that I like a more classic old-school geometry. Imagine that, me growing up riding in the late 90s, early 2000s probably did it. You can always add a short stem and shorter offset forks, with some skinny tires, and it will still feel very responsive, surprisingly. That's what I like anyway, to each thier own.

|

3/21/2018 4:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/21/2018 4:59 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

I wouldn't go for the street sweeper, even though I do love Jake, sorry bro. That frame is about as extreme as you can go for a techy, twitchy street frame. Go with a soundwave, or motoross, or pretty much any other Sunday. I'm 31 myself, and grew up riding in the midschool days. I've played around on about 6 different frames the past 2 years since I came back. Started on a fit Benny, super tech and twitchy, felt fine but once i got something more all around, it felt much more comfortable, now I'm on more of a trails type geo, and it feels even better! I don't ride a lot of trails, but I do like to flow around the park. I'd go for something like this for all around riding. 75° head tube, 13.5+ chainstay, 11.5-11.8 bb, whatever standover you like, but I like 8-8.5 personally, just looks better to me.

Just to add the Benny I started on when I came back to riding a couple years ago has very similar if not identical geometry to the street sweeper. My current frame is 74.5° headtube, chainstay is at 14", with 11.75 bb. This feels perfect to me, and I love it so much, but like I said it took me 6 frames to figure out, that I like a more classic old-school geometry. Imagine that, me growing up riding in the late 90s, early 2000s probably did it. You can always add a short stem and shorter offset forks, with some skinny tires, and it will still feel very responsive, surprisingly. That's what I like anyway, to each thier own.

Thanks for the responses first off all u guys.
So couldn't I go for wider tires on the sweeper to give it some stability? Probably just overthinking this cause I'm 99% sure what's so difficult about my old bike is it's 35lb weight.
Oh btw. No love for the Vessel v2? It's about 13.5cs

|

3/21/2018 5:11 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

tbates wrote:

So couldn't I go for wider tires on the sweeper to give it some stability? Probably just overthinking this cause I'm 99% sure what's so difficult about my old bike is it's 35lb weight.

Well, then... Go for the geo that's going to be a better transition for you.

|

3/21/2018 5:25 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

tbates wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Lol I think I just needed someone to talk me out of the short cs. It's all been good advice for real tho. Like more help than u can imagine. Guess while I'm on the subject here and got you guys attention. I'm coming from the freewheel days and have never rode anything other than that on the rear. So I'm thinking a cassette will be the way to go vs freecoaster?

|

3/21/2018 5:59 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

tbates wrote:

Yeah volume is a good company. I actually had a mystery machine last year. I liked it a lot. I just think Sunday is a slightly better choice. Better warranty, and I just like the looks of thier frames. They are clean with no gussets. The vessel would probably be a perfect place to start though. If those are your only 2 choices I'd go with that for sure.

|

3/21/2018 6:02 PM

tbates wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

tbates wrote:

Lol I think I just needed someone to talk me out of the short cs. It's all been good advice for real tho. Like more help than u can imagine. Guess while I'm on the subject here and got you guys attention. I'm coming from the freewheel days and have never rode anything other than that on the rear. So I'm thinking a cassette will be the way to go vs freecoaster?

Yes, get a cassette for sure. They are a lot easier to learn most tricks on. Ride a cassette for a while, and if you feel the need, you can always try out a friend's bike with a coaster to see how you like it. I'd ride the cassette for a good year or so before thinking of going to a freecoaster.

|

3/21/2018 6:11 PM

Go for a cassette and get a Sunday Soundwave and some Odyssey R32s...

|

3/21/2018 6:12 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

tbates wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

Yeah volume is a good company. I actually had a mystery machine last year. I liked it a lot. I just think Sunday is a slightly better choice. Better warranty, and I just like the looks of thier frames. They are clean with no gussets. The vessel would probably be a perfect place to start though. If those are your only 2 choices I'd go with that for sure.

I would love the excsilsor but it's got no gyro tabs and I was kinda leaning towards something that had them. Is it a big deal to drill and tap gyro tabs? Not much different than tapping and drilling something normally right?

|

3/21/2018 6:14 PM

tbates wrote:

I would love the excsilsor but it's got no gyro tabs and I was kinda leaning towards something that had them. Is it a big deal to drill and tap gyro tabs? Not much different than tapping and drilling something normally right?

Psssssst,

Get the Soundwave, it has gyro tabs already drilledw00t

|

3/21/2018 6:19 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

tbates wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Psssssst,

Get the Soundwave, it has gyro tabs already drilledw00t

So many more monies tho. Like 389$ i think. Guess you got a point tho what's 50$ more in a complete build.

|

3/21/2018 7:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/21/2018 7:19 PM

I have the 21" street sweeper frame, odyssey r25 fork, 9.5 bars topload stem and a cassette. 2.35 front tire 2.25 rear tire. 4 pegs. 170mm cranks

I love it. Other bikes feel sluggish to me.

I went from a 20.5 tt lower bb longer chainstays, slacker headtube etc.

As soon as I built it up I was instantly more nimble and able to hop better.

I think you would like it if you plan on riding more street than anything else.

That being said, i feel uncomfortable doing downhill dirt jumps with it...

It is pretty extreme from what you are used to but it could be a good thing. If it came down to you absolutely hating it, Im sure you could find a buyer for it relatively easily.

Ive only been riding for a solid 7 months (i was injured for a while) and about 11 months since I first started. but I ride mainly street and grind stuff, jump on to stuff etc.

If I could change anything about it...longer top tube 21.5 or 21.75

A bit longer chainstays maybe like 13-13.5 or something.

|

3/21/2018 7:23 PM

tbates wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

tbates wrote:

The excelsior is a brakeless bike, strictly. There are no brake mounts or holes to mount removable hardware.

|

3/21/2018 7:32 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

tbates wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

The excelsior is a brakeless bike, strictly. There are no brake mounts or holes to mount removable hardware.

Oh snap It is. I've been looking at too many frames. Plus what is the big ol deal about having to untangle your bars every few runs anyways. Gyros is like 8th down on my list of specs lol. So It's nbd

|

3/21/2018 10:22 PM

Hmmm try giving Subrosa and Bone Deth frames a look. I have a Thunderbeast and 2 Motorbones, both of which are great bikes with stable geometry.
The Motorbone has a 74.5º headtube, 71º seattube, 13.5 - 14” chainstay, 11.8” bottom bracket, 8.75 standover height.
The Thunderbeast has a 75º headtube, 69º seattube, 13.5 - 14” chainstay, 11.6” bottom bracket, 9” standover height.

Both frames have very similar chainstay lengths, but have a lot of differences. I’d say compared to the rest of my bikes, the 21” motorbone really feels more like a trails bike than a street bike. The thunderbeast feels very much like a full street machine. Front end is a bit twitchy, but hey thats kinda expected if you ride two 74.5º headtube bikes (with 32mm forks) mostly, and ride a 75º headtube (with 28mm forks) once a month. I havent ridden the Thunderbeast for a while though because I left it at my moms house to ride when I go visit her. The back end of the Thunderbeast feels pretty stable though, its actually easier to hold a manual on it, and sometimes I accidentally manual it just dropping off a curb.

Both frames have brake mounts.

|

3/22/2018 12:29 AM

Mutiny Comb V3 wink

|

3/22/2018 12:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/22/2018 12:47 AM

tbates wrote:

I would get a least 13cs

|

3/22/2018 1:56 AM

This will get even cheaper during Easter sales!
https://www.sourcebmx.com/en/United-Mothership-Frame/m-31116.aspx

|

3/22/2018 4:41 AM

You could also try the Eastern Thick Rhonda: 20.69 or 21.69" tt, 75* ht, 71.2* st, 13.25 rear, 9.4" so. And it had some cool design features.

http://www.easternbikes.com/thick-rhonda

|