Trying to pick a new frame

Related:
Create New Tag

3/22/2018 5:54 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

You could also try the Eastern Thick Rhonda: 20.69 or 21.69" tt, 75* ht, 71.2* st, 13.25 rear, 9.4" so. And it had some cool ...more

Little worried by the sharper seat tube angle on that one. So if I understand it right a sharper angle seat tube will decrease the size of the TT a little right? I'm on 21" with 71degree seat tube and it's always felt like any smaller and I'm banging my knees on the bars when I pedal.

|

3/22/2018 6:48 AM

Hit up Midget Cory on Instagram and check out his trails frame. I think that you will like the value that it provides for the money. Full 4130, 74ht 21tt 13.5cs. brake mounts, gyro tab holes. I have the street version and the rear is a little short. it does spin but with the 75.5ht it's a little twitchy in the park.

|

3/22/2018 6:51 AM

tbates wrote:

Little worried by the sharper seat tube angle on that one. So if I understand it right a sharper angle seat tube will decrease ...more

I'm jumping in a bit late here, but don't let a slightly longer CS length keep you away from a bike. I just went from a 13.625" slammed CS to a 14.1" slammed CS frame. I was instantly more comfortable on the bike. I'm 33 now, and used to ride when bikes were lead balloons too.

I honestly think if you go with a good all-around frame, S&M ATF, Soundwave/Motoross,etc. you'd really like it.

The 21.69" TT would probably suit you pretty well. As far as hitting your knees on the bars, a good moderate 9" rise bar should help with that. If not that, a topload stem will raise your bars up a bit.

Basically, don't get TOO hung up on what you're used to. Use that as a general direction for this new build, but don't get caught up in being afraid to try something a little newer. Since I stopped riding almost 20 years ago, the frames, tech, features, and geometry have all improved greatly.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

3/22/2018 6:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/22/2018 7:46 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

You could also try the Eastern Thick Rhonda: 20.69 or 21.69" tt, 75* ht, 71.2* st, 13.25 rear, 9.4" so. And it had some cool ...more

tbates wrote:

Little worried by the sharper seat tube angle on that one. So if I understand it right a sharper angle seat tube will decrease ...more

While I do not know the exact implications to how .2* would actually feel, I do believe you are correct. However, this has always been an area of mystery to me (and others) as (to me, at least) no matter what a seat tube angle, that does not/cannot actually change the length of a TT. That's not to say I am arguing with your logic. I have read & heard the same thing. I just can't wrap my head around it in that if you change an angle... in this case the seat tube angle from, say, 71* to 71.2*, there must be a change in other geometry/measurements (i.e. if the seat tube is angled forward, if the tt stays the same length, the head tube angle must change. If the seat tube angle is moved forward, the TT length does not change, and the HT angle remains the same, then the DT length must change. If all those do not change.... etc... etc...; ) At some point, SOMETHING must change to accommodate the one other change. Other than where you place your ass, with the TT being 21" or 21.69" or whatever, I don't see how the change of .2* angle of the ST would drastically change your cockpit. Check the bike check area.... there's a member who recently built up a Thick Rhonda. Perhaps he could give you more info if you are interested: https://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/Bike-Checks,27/Thick-Black-Eastern,1318354

|

3/22/2018 8:42 AM

Hey better late than never. Anyways this sounds like really great advice. I looked hard at the atf but no gyro so i put it on the backburner and kept looking. The Soundwave does look like a nice option if I can find one still in stock in the TT length I want. But really feel like I'm leaning to the Vessel v2. I'm not gonna run slammed and am pretty sure I'm gonna run 25/9 gearing so I should be around 13.5" on the CS. Oh and on the subject of ST angles. I totally agree that it's a mysterious thing and honestly not worth worrying about with it being .2 degrees. And yes definitely taller bars. I rode the 7's I had once or twice a few weeks ago and it was like instant lower back pain. Swapped to some 8's and back pain gone. I'm already a firm believer in the taller bars thing. At least taller from my day. Think I'm gonna go for somewhere between 8.5 and 9.25. Still not sure tho. I do have a top load stem already so kinda leaning to sub 9.

|

3/22/2018 8:48 AM

tbates wrote:

Hey better late than never. Anyways this sounds like really great advice. I looked hard at the atf but no gyro so i put it on ...more

Hell yeah man. Taller bars helped me so much too. I went from 8.6" rise to 10" and it felt like I could instantly control the bike better.

I honestly don't think the Vessel V2 is a bad idea. I know a few people in NYC that ride Volume frames in street/park...they beat the hell out of them and they keep going.

Plus Broc Raiford is quickly becoming one of my favorite riders. He's a beast on a bike.

|

3/22/2018 8:57 AM

tbates wrote:

Hey better late than never. Anyways this sounds like really great advice. I looked hard at the atf but no gyro so i put it on ...more

Sounds like you have a plan! Whatever you decide, post pics when you get it! Honestly, I think I get almost as excited about someone getting a new bike, particularly those beginning or returning to the sport after a long hiatus, as the person getting the new bike! LOL!

|

3/22/2018 9:05 AM

tbates wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Hell yeah man. Taller bars helped me so much too. I went from 8.6" rise to 10" and it felt like I could instantly control the ...more

Yeah 16-23 year old me was bad about breaking parts. I was a bad chain breaker when I started. So bad that a buddy of mine gave me a his old 44t profile blackjack that took the (then) bigger size of 1/8' chain. Needless to say i stopped breaking chains after that. Broke my factory plastic pedals and got a pair of DK iron cross all aluminum ones. Still have a couple of scars on my shins from those bad boys. 15 oz a piece. Oh the nostalgia and sore muscles lol.

|

3/22/2018 9:25 AM

tbates wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Sounds like you have a plan! Whatever you decide, post pics when you get it! Honestly, I think I get almost as excited about ...more

I at least "feel" like I have a plan lol. But for real I definitely will post a few snaps when i get it in and built up. Hopefully gonna put the order in soon. I get just as excited too about building them up. Funny how much easier it is to work on even a midschool bike now that I'm older and a little wiser. Got rid of the stock (and cracked) cane creek a-headset that was in the old bike and put a new FSA Pig headset and also converted the BB from the old Poverty POW cranks to some new 19mm stolen cranks. Here's a snap of the old boy.Photo

|

3/22/2018 9:25 AM

I’ve always liked Haro, Volume, and WTP frames. Always wanted a Sunday but still have not pulled the trigger.
I was about one click away from buying the VESSEL last year, but ended up getting a premium Aurora due to budget at the time. The Vessel is a rad frame and I love Volume/Demolition products.
Personally I think you’ll be happy with either one. This year I went with a WTP Message Frame in starlight black. I’ll be building it up today as the rest of my parts should arrive.
If you want another bike with a familiar feel of the good old day, minus the wieght, you could always try out the Haro Nyquist XX Aniversary Frame.

|

3/22/2018 9:35 AM

I rode in the late 90s early 00s and took a break for a long time

About 2 years ago i think (maybe 3) i got my first bike in a long time and it had a 13.2 chainstay.

I have to say it definitely took some getting used to. Everytime i tried to even hop i used loop out. Spins are definitely easier but so is the possibility of landing on your ass after looping out.

|

3/22/2018 9:47 AM

U.P.O. wrote:

I rode in the late 90s early 00s and took a break for a long time

About 2 years ago i think (maybe 3) i got my first bike in ...more

Yeah, see at least for me, at 33 years old, I'm much more interested in having a stable and smooth bike for manuals, grinds, and moderate spin tricks.

I'm not out there doing hard 5's off ledges or trying to huck 720's over a box jump. So I'll compensate for lack of ease spinning with something that won't land me on my back and my ass every time I try to manual

|

3/22/2018 10:19 AM

While I'm here might as well ask too. Any good words on wheel choice? Been really leaning towards the revenge industries set for a good starter set.

|

3/22/2018 10:37 AM

tbates wrote:

While I'm here might as well ask too. Any good words on wheel choice? Been really leaning towards the revenge industries set ...more

Well, that depends on what you want to spend. Odyssey, Gsport, Madera, Profile... there are a ton of great parts. Since you stated "starter" I don't see anything wrong with Revenge stuff. I'm running a Revenge freecoaster wheelset from a FIT complete I got used. Seem to be holding up well. No complaints.

|

3/22/2018 11:16 AM

tbates wrote:

While I'm here might as well ask too. Any good words on wheel choice? Been really leaning towards the revenge industries set ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Well, that depends on what you want to spend. Odyssey, Gsport, Madera, Profile... there are a ton of great parts. Since you ...more

Yeah starter because I would love to have something like a hazard lite or g-sport in the future. I was always hard on rims but that was with much heavier bikes. And truing a rim is something I couldn't do then. I'm also assuming that because I'm gonna be relearning that I'm gonna be a little hard on the bike in general at first.

|

3/22/2018 11:26 AM

Try the BSDsafari..it comes in 21.4 and 21.8 also the BSD raider frame comes in 21.6

|

3/22/2018 11:40 AM

Thanks for all the replys I think I'm really getting something together here now. So assuming I go with, or something close to, the Vessel v2 what fork offset would some of the guys my age recommend?

|

3/22/2018 11:45 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

tbates wrote:

A more laid back seat tube will put more of the top tube behind you so it would make it feel shorter...i have a bsd safari and it feel like a 21.4 would..i have a 21.5 tt mutiny Burlish and it feels good besides the cs at 14 I really don't like

|

3/22/2018 11:46 AM

Similar boat here. About to turn 34 and just picked up a Sunday. It's the Blueprint, so it's short and cheap but It's holding up for now. I'm not going crazy like when I was 18. Light park and mainly street.

I don't have another modern BMX to compare, so I'm making the best of it. Also, currently stripping and rebuilding my old Standard Cashius. Now that is a tank lol.

|

3/22/2018 11:49 AM

Well, that sorta depends on what riding you plan on doing the most... or how you want the bike to feel. The Odyssey R25 would be more "twitchy", if you will. While the R32 will be more stable. So, obviously, the longer the offset the less "twitchy" it'll be.

|

3/22/2018 12:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/22/2018 12:15 PM

I think mostly street is what I'm gonna be riding. There is only one park right now in Montgomery and it just got moved after being in limbo for like a year and half. I always loved hunting down spots.Find some little ledge in a back lot and ride it for hours. That's why I always felt like tech is were I wanted to progress towards.Its the best part about street to me, figuring out ways to be inventive with the same spots. Anyways, I've definitely just about settled on the odyssey especially after watching them torture those things on their website.
Oh Btw Great find on that standard cashius. Definitely a tank

|

3/22/2018 12:30 PM

tbates wrote:

I think mostly street is what I'm gonna be riding. There is only one park right now in Montgomery and it just got moved after ...more

Well, I personally like the 25's. But THEN, you need to decide if you want a front brake. LOL. Either way, R25 or F25 (F has the 990 brake mounts).

|

3/22/2018 12:37 PM

Have you looked at the S&M Hucker Frame?

Drilled for Gyro
TT: 20.75", 21″ and 21.25″
CS: 13.3"-13.75"
HTA: 75°
STA: 71°
BB: 11.7"
ST: 8.8"

You can have a short slammed back end at 13.3", keep it neutral at 13.5", or have more stability at 13.75".

If you weren't using a gyro and have parts that are still usable on your old frame... You might be able to do a new-school/ old school build with the new S&M Black Magic Frame:

Matty Aquizap's Bike Check
Photo

|

3/22/2018 12:56 PM

^^ I'm a recent S&M convert. I think the Black Magic frame is pretty damn close to perfect as far as being US made, full chromoly, and a mix of old/mid/new school versatility. People will say its a trails frame and its definitely geared a little more towards that kind of riding, but when has BMX ever been about rules?

|

3/22/2018 1:21 PM

Definitely not gonna run front brakes already made that decision. But for sure want removable rear brakes because I've ran both ways and would like to still have that choice. That black magic is very sweet looking. He's got that thing geared hard tho 41/11 wow. The hucker would really just give me another color to chose from because the vessel is 13.25-13.75 so exactly the same as the hucker. Love that retro red tho cool

|

3/22/2018 1:38 PM

tbates wrote:

I think mostly street is what I'm gonna be riding. There is only one park right now in Montgomery and it just got moved after ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Well, I personally like the 25's. But THEN, you need to decide if you want a front brake. LOL. Either way, R25 or F25 (F has ...more

Rode my R25s today for the first time and man what a difference! I would say ‘agile’ over ‘twitchy’ but I do ride slow. I’m old.

|

If you build it, they will come

3/22/2018 2:20 PM

tbates wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Well, I personally like the 25's. But THEN, you need to decide if you want a front brake. LOL. Either way, R25 or F25 (F has ...more

LS1982 wrote:

Rode my R25s today for the first time and man what a difference! I would say ‘agile’ over ‘twitchy’ but I do ride slow. I’m ...more

Good word. I couldn't think of anything better and I was in a hurry. Twitchy does sorta have a bad connotation.

|

3/22/2018 4:33 PM

what about completes? theres alot of nice well built completes out there, for a higher end complete u will pay a little more than u want but will save you money in the longer run.but if i would get a frame it would deff b a soundwave

|

3/22/2018 5:42 PM

Ronnie06srt8 wrote:

what about completes? theres alot of nice well built completes out there, for a higher end complete u will pay a little more ...more

Speaking of...Sunday posted this tonight...

Photo
Photo

|

3/22/2018 5:49 PM

Ronnie06srt8 wrote:

what about completes? theres alot of nice well built completes out there, for a higher end complete u will pay a little more ...more

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Speaking of...Sunday posted this tonight...

Photo
Photo

Yea I just seem that on Instagram!

|