Trying to pick a new frame

Related:
Create New Tag

3/22/2018 7:52 PM

Fyi, someone's selling a Sunday Soundwave in the for sale section. It's only a 20.75 tt frame tho.

|

3/22/2018 8:35 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Fyi, someone's selling a Sunday Soundwave in the for sale section. It's only a 20.75 tt frame tho.

Yeah I saw that too! It's a cool color but he wants 400 bucks for it! Damn! You're better off just buying a new one in the size/color you want it in, and you'll have the lifetime warranty for it...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

3/23/2018 12:02 AM

Looks like your parts selection list is coming together nicely!

Just to add to the mix, even after selecting all of these precise measurements to your liking, you'll eventually be really accustomed to your setup and probably won't find major issues anyways. smile Welcome back to BMX!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

3/23/2018 10:45 AM

Thanks to everyone who contributed here. I think I've gotten together a solid list here. So just to make sure i got all the important stuff sorted here it is

Frame : Volume Vessel V2
Forks:Odyssey R25
Bars : Primo Rebars 9” or Shadow Conspiracy Vultus 9”
Stem : Poverty Top Load
Headset : Premium (Smoke Blue)
Grips:TBD
Barends : TBD
Lever : Odyssey Springfield
Brakes : Odyssey Springfield
Cranks : Stolen Talon v2 175mm
Pedals: Animal Rat Traps
Sprocket : 25T Kink Eastman
Chain : TBD
Seat : Pivotal TBD
Seatclamp : Integrated
Rear Wheel : Revenge Industries Cassette
Front Wheel : Revenge Industries
Tyres : TBD But Thinking 2.4 front 2.3 rear

|

3/23/2018 10:49 AM

tbates wrote:

Thanks to everyone who contributed here. I think I've gotten together a solid list here. So just to make sure i got all the ...more

Seems pretty good man.

Any reason you chose the Springfield over the Evo2?

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

3/23/2018 10:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/23/2018 10:55 AM

Well not really a price thing but I saw a picture of the evo2 having some tight tire clearance issues mounted up front tho. Not sure why I thought the Springfileds would be different. And I'm not gonna run a front brakes so IDK why I did. I might change my mind on the brakes once i start or after I've built it up.

|

3/23/2018 1:12 PM

tbates wrote:

While I'm here might as well ask too. Any good words on wheel choice? Been really leaning towards the revenge industries set ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Well, that depends on what you want to spend. Odyssey, Gsport, Madera, Profile... there are a ton of great parts. Since you ...more

tbates wrote:

Yeah starter because I would love to have something like a hazard lite or g-sport in the future. I was always hard on rims but ...more

If your hard on rims go for the g-sport ribcages, Odyssey hazard lite, or 7kas. That way you only have to buy one set of rims instead of a second set after 6months of riding. Modern rims aren't triple wall anymore, only double, and the don't use 48 spokes anymore either, which means more trueing. Modern rims are probably close in strength to the old triple walls from the midschool days, if you spend the money. You generally get what you pay for.

|

3/23/2018 2:48 PM

tbates wrote:

Well not really a price thing but I saw a picture of the evo2 having some tight tire clearance issues mounted up front tho. ...more

Take a look at the Kink Desist brake.

It's made from forged 7075-T6 aluminum, already comes with Kool Stop pads and Mike Hoder has one on his BTM, so you know it has plenty of clearance

|

3/23/2018 3:14 PM

tbates wrote:

Well not really a price thing but I saw a picture of the evo2 having some tight tire clearance issues mounted up front tho. ...more

I have evo 2's on my tallboy. I don't have any issues, but I'm running 2.1-tires so that might make a difference.

|

3/23/2018 4:05 PM

Good to know about that kink desist. I found myself looking at bike checks trying to see what kind of calipers people were running with the wider 2.3 tires. So if I go with 7ka's or hazard lites then im talking about a custom wheel build. What would be a good cassette to match with that rim? Honestly feels like it would come out pretty expensive for just a cassette rear.

|

3/23/2018 7:16 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I have evo 2's on my tallboy. I don't have any issues, but I'm running 2.1-tires so that might make a difference.

You were supposed to let us know how they ended up fitting on your Tall Boy. Do you have any pics yet?

The issue with the Evo 2 isn't tire width... It's the fact that the wider rear end causes the arms to bind, before the pads touch the rim.

|

3/23/2018 7:22 PM

tbates wrote:

Good to know about that kink desist. I found myself looking at bike checks trying to see what kind of calipers people were ...more

Odyssey makes a complete Hazard Lite Cassette Wheel.

Hazard Lite Rim and Antigram Cassette Hub.

|