Tube spacer

Related:
Create New Tag

8/10/2018 6:45 PM

Anyone know where to find a 22 mm tube spacer without having to buy the entire B.B. set?

|

8/10/2018 6:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2018 6:52 PM

A hardware shop. Just get a piece of tubing that seats against the inner race of the bearing and fits over the spindle(snug is preferrable). You'll probably be best off cutting it a hair too long and filing it back until it fits; if it's too short, it may as well not be there or if it's too long, it'll damage the bearings.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

8/10/2018 7:02 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

A hardware shop. Just get a piece of tubing that seats against the inner race of the bearing and fits over the spindle(snug is preferrable). You'll probably be best off cutting it a hair too long and filing it back until it fits; if it's too short, it may as well not be there or if it's too long, it'll damage the bearings.

Well it just so happens that I am beginning my work day at Home Depot tomorrow, so I might bring the other smaller spacer that I have and measure it up

|

8/10/2018 7:11 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

I think you mean it will damage the bearings if the spacer is too small. The outer race would be seated fully in the bottom bracket shell and the cranks would be pulling the inner part of the bearings toward the center trying to reach the spacer. If the spacer is too big it will make your bearings unseat a bit but you could tighten them as much as you want since the pressure would be absorbed by the spacer and olnot the outer races.

Thats why people advise against leaving the spacer out of a build. Which I did recently cause I didnt have a spare laying around...lol

|

8/10/2018 7:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2018 7:20 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

I think you mean it will damage the bearings if the spacer is too small. The outer race would be seated fully in the bottom bracket shell and the cranks would be pulling the inner part of the bearings toward the center trying to reach the spacer. If the spacer is too big it will make your bearings unseat a bit but you could tighten them as much as you want since the pressure would be absorbed by the spacer and olnot the outer races.

Thats why people advise against leaving the spacer out of a build. Which I did recently cause I didnt have a spare laying around...lol

No, I meant too big. If you seat the bearings fully but the tube spacer is too long, it'll be putting constant outward pressure on the inner races, damaging the bearings and reducing their lifespan.

That's not to say though, that too short won't damage them. What I meant by "it may as well not be there" above, is that it's useless as it doesn't provide any support to the bearings and will result in damaging them.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

8/10/2018 8:08 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

No, I meant too big. If you seat the bearings fully but the tube spacer is too long, it'll be putting constant outward pressure on the inner races, damaging the bearings and reducing their lifespan.

That's not to say though, that too short won't damage them. What I meant by "it may as well not be there" above, is that it's useless as it doesn't provide any support to the bearings and will result in damaging them.

I see what you are saying, I agree.

|

8/11/2018 12:23 AM

If the tube spacer's too long, the bearings simply won't go all the way into the frame. There's nothing putting outside pressure on the outer race once it's all assembled.

|

8/11/2018 5:30 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

If the tube spacer's too long, the bearings simply won't go all the way into the frame. There's nothing putting outside pressure on the outer race once it's all assembled.

I'm only talking about a very small amount too long. I'm also assuming that like most of the world, he's hammering in his bearings by the outside race.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson