Tubeless BMX Tire

Related:
Create New Tag

10/1/2018 7:00 PM

Has anyone made the DIY BMX tire on here? Just wondering how well it actually works. I just saw Needle Medias video on it.

|

10/1/2018 7:06 PM

I've done it on a mountain bike tire, using conventional rims. Seating the tire super quickly is the hard part. Some MTB guys love tubeless, but I thought it was a pain in the ass. I have the Alienation tubeless rims on my BMX and I've never once considered going tubeless.

|

10/1/2018 7:54 PM

More effort then what it's worth imo

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/1/2018 10:55 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

More effort then what it's worth imo

Basically this, lol.

|

YouTube: REYN H. STUDiOS // Instagram: @bmxereyn

10/1/2018 11:59 PM

Well I guess the reduction of punctures would be well worth the hassle of setting up rim-insert--sealant-tyre.. If you ever find a 20" insert
My guess is that it'll make wheels much lighter than conventional non tubeless wheels..

|

10/2/2018 2:54 AM

Been there, done that. It's far more effort than it's worth. I just run sealant in my tubes because it's far less hassle and it's cleaner.

|

My Sunday Soundwave Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork" - grumpySteve

10/2/2018 3:20 AM

Just fix a flat man BMX is simple for a reason and that's why tubeless never caught on

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

10/2/2018 4:26 AM

theZiz wrote:

Has anyone made the DIY BMX tire on here? Just wondering how well it actually works. I just saw Needle Medias video on it.

Yes you can do it I have done it a few times over the years and it works. You just have to know what you are doing or you are going to have problems. If you want a step by step, let me know

|

10/3/2018 4:08 AM

I did it with actual tubeless rims and valves and it works, until the sealant dries up.
I've currently got a bike with 2 flats which have probably got loads of dried sealant in them

|

Hmmm

10/3/2018 11:20 PM

Tubeless works great on my mtb. Don't want to try it on my BMX tho

|

10/4/2018 2:32 AM

Personally I think it's just a pointless waste of effort. It's so much more hassle than replacing a tube, and you'll have to carry a tube incase you get a flat anyway. The sealant only works as puncture prevention on small holes, so if you get a little gash in your tyre, you have to try to fix that too (which is possible, but again more effort). They also deflate over time much more than a tube, so you'll have to check that before every time you ride. I like to just grab my bike and go when I ride

|

10/5/2018 12:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/5/2018 12:43 PM

I seriously thought your guys were trolling when talking about using sealant in your tires. Are you all f’n seroious? It takes 10 minutes to patch a tube on the side of the road.....or have times changed and people don’t patch tubes anymore? I had bmx tubes back in the 90’s with 6 to 8 patches in them before I retired them. I would never want the mess of sealant getting all over the rim/tire/myself....?

|

10/5/2018 9:45 PM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

I seriously thought your guys were trolling when talking about using sealant in your tires. Are you all f’n seroious? It takes 10 minutes to patch a tube on the side of the road.....or have times changed and people don’t patch tubes anymore? I had bmx tubes back in the 90’s with 6 to 8 patches in them before I retired them. I would never want the mess of sealant getting all over the rim/tire/myself....?

I don't patch tubes anymore. I've got loads of spares and very rarely get a flat. Tubes are cheap enough now, and if I get a year out of one, I'd say that's pretty cost efficient.
Plus, if I'm trying something and get a flat, the last thing I want to do is stop the session and piss about with glue and patches

|

10/5/2018 10:37 PM

I don't ever patch tubes. When its flat its dead to me . If you got time to take the tube out and patch it , might as well just put a new one in . I've see patches fail and dont want to get annoyed from them lol

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

10/6/2018 6:40 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

Do you carry a bike pump with you when you ride?

Besides, a tube is $5. Replacing them a few times a year isn't a big deal

|

10/6/2018 7:28 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

If it means I can spend more time riding instead of fixing my bike, I'd say it's well worth it. I change tubes every 9 months or so and only have to patch maybe 1 of 10 punctures. The downside is that when I pull out the tube, I have to patch all of the old punctures at once. One time, I had 20+ punctures on a tube without even knowing.

|

10/7/2018 5:45 PM

Tubeless doesn't work well above 60psi. Doesn't matter for MTB (or moto or cars) because everyone's running 20-30psi.

It's supposed to roll slightly faster though, surely riders at the top end of BMX racing have tried it?

|

10/7/2018 6:01 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

If it means I can spend more time riding instead of fixing my bike, I'd say it's well worth it. I change tubes every 9 months or so and only have to patch maybe 1 of 10 punctures. The downside is that when I pull out the tube, I have to patch all of the old punctures at once. One time, I had 20+ punctures on a tube without even knowing.

I'd rather spend time changing tubes than cleaning dried up shit out of my rims and tires. Tubeless in a PITA. If it was awesome, everyone would do it.

|

10/7/2018 8:08 PM

I don't even go tubeless with my MTB for all of the reasons mentioned above...and am definitely in the minority there

Couldn't even imagine doing bmx tubeless.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

10/8/2018 4:53 PM

JPC wrote:

I'd rather spend time changing tubes than cleaning dried up shit out of my rims and tires. Tubeless in a PITA. If it was awesome, everyone would do it.

I agree. I run sealant in tubes as it seals up just as well and it's clean. I only change tubes when the sealant dries out or when the tube is beyond repair and I very rarely have to patch them, even though I get 10 to 20 punctures per tube.

|

10/8/2018 4:59 PM

If someone wanted to try something new, this
https://www.albes.com/tubolito-ultra-light-tube/

looks a lot more promising than tubeless.

|

10/8/2018 5:55 PM

if you're taking a tube out to patch it, you're doing it wrong.

|

10/8/2018 6:47 PM

Tubeless works and I have run my tires like that off and on for years. Takes 10 minutes to setup and then hassle free

|