Tubeless bmx tires

Related:
Create New Tag

7/18/2016 12:49 PM

Is it possible and would it be worth doing?

|

7/18/2016 1:54 PM

Yes and no.

Might be worth it for race use. And it's been done before. But even when racing you can land sideways enough for it to pop off. It's more expensive, more effort, and the only benefit is saving a bit of weight

|

7/18/2016 6:25 PM

Alright thanks just curious. I should stick to tubes lol

|

7/18/2016 7:34 PM

Alienation was toying with the idea.

I could see it on trails or racing, but the weight savings is very minimal if you use any sealant.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/18/2016 11:11 PM

It wouldn't stand up to street riding or anything like that. Slope style and dj mtb dont really use it because if you case a jump or land awkwardly and you have a tubeless system the tire has a chance to slip off the bead and that would just deflate your tire immediately. If you had a tube then the same tire in The same situation has a chance to survive because the tire and tube have a little of flexibility to them. With street riding your going to get a lot of tire and tubes folding over the rim so your tubeless system would just explode everytime something happened. Plus tubeless tires are a pain in the ass to mount properly, you would not be able to reinflate your tire to tubeless if you blew it up at the spot you'd have to put a tube in to fix it (which defeats the point of being tubeless)

|

7/19/2016 1:16 AM

eww no. id never want to use that. think of all the li pricks and such that happen with tires. every single time that happened youd be fucked. not to mention landing awkward and whatnot. i dont see them being usefull at all

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

7/19/2016 3:54 AM

When I used my old whip for DJ I converted it to tubeless. It actually held up pretty well. I have never hear of a tubeless tyre slipping I've the bead due to casing a jump. However along with tubeless comes the possibility of "burping" air out. Happens when enough force is put into the tyre to actually blow through the sealant and travel around the bead. This would seal up immediately though because of the excess sealant in the rim, just pump it up a bit. There are alot of subjective cons that come with the tubeless setup. You will have less rotational mass weakening the effect of gyroscopic procession ( the reason your bike stays stable when riding). This can allow for barspins and talwhips to be way easier because you are not fighting the mass of the wheel. I actually really miss my tubeless setup because I personally hate changing flats and I get a lot of them. I will be converting my new whip to tubeless pretty soon. I would say go for it if you have the proper equipment handy( rim strip, tape, sealant). You may be pretty happy with the results. Maybe bring a small bike pump along with you the first few times you head out.

|

7/19/2016 8:56 PM

I thought the whole point to tubeless was to be able to run very very low psi without the risk of pinchflats. Maybe thats just for MTB and dirtbikes.

|

"haha, did you steal that bike? hurhrhrurhurr" "no, fuck you thats just the brand."