Tubes For 2.40" Tires?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/1/2015 10:29 PM

I was wondering what kind of tubes I can use for 2.40" tires. . . ?
(I should have asked this before ordering 2.40" tires, but I'm an idiot sometimes)

Like I've said a million times, back when I use to ride the biggest tire size was 2.25", so these new fat tires these days are foreign to me now.

I usually buy slime tubes at K-Mart. They are like basic, generic tubes with slime in them to self-seal any punctures. I'm not sure what tire sizes they support, but I used them back in the day for 2.25" tires.
I was wondering if those fully aired up will work, or if I have to order a special tube....?
I don't want to buy them, test it out, and have them blow up in my face and risk blowing my tire up too.
Hopefully I don't have to order a special tube because I'm notorious for popping tires. I don't want to have to wait 5-7 business days for a fucking tube.

|

"Ride it like you stole it."

Refs: SuperstarDK, Gage191

2/1/2015 11:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/1/2015 11:46 PM

It's a tube, made of rubber, it'll stretch.

Hell, 16" tubes will work on a 20" if you're crazy about saving some grams.

|

2/2/2015 4:54 AM

I buy the cheapest tubes i can get. They make next to no difference.

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

2/2/2015 5:38 AM

my walmart 2.25 bell tubes are working fine for my 2.4 t/a yet my old rhynolite 2.25 tubes needed to be pumped up everyday (they deflated a lot) so you might just have to experiment with these k mart ones

|

2/2/2015 7:03 AM

Any 20" tube will work

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

2/2/2015 7:20 AM

I use regular 1.95-2.25 tubes on my 2.4 ck and it's just fine.

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417

2/2/2015 7:48 AM

Oddity wrote:

I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that one.

|

2/2/2015 8:11 AM

Oddity wrote:

NewAndImprovedClancy wrote:

Its true. If you can stretch it around the rim without puncturing it, it will work. 24" tubes will work aswell if you put them in right. Much more likely to get a flat, but i guess if you have a spare one laying around and have to ride to get a new tube, it oughta get you there and back. Gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/2/2015 8:13 AM

But yes, most 20" tubes will work. Aslong as theyre not super thin, like 1.95" max or something. But if youre skeptical about it, Danscomp has 2.4" tubes.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/2/2015 9:19 AM

Oddity wrote:

I have changed tubes for someone who had an 18 inch tube in the front and a 16 inch on the rear wheel.. No joke

|

Check my Youtube Channel and Subscribe if you like.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC62awwE63LVhyBqOgIyY3ZA
Follow me on Instagram @ scott_effting & toododgy

2/2/2015 9:20 AM

To the OP though any 20 inch tube will work

|

Check my Youtube Channel and Subscribe if you like.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC62awwE63LVhyBqOgIyY3ZA
Follow me on Instagram @ scott_effting & toododgy

2/2/2015 3:06 PM

Oddity wrote:

I ran an 18" tube for a while and it was fine so im sure a 16" would work too

OP: slime tubes are awful, just get the regular ones for half the cost. Slimes weigh a lot more, cost a lot more, and have very little sealing protection against puncture from what ive found

|

Insta: @thenoahrolf
Refs: Hatebreeder, vinum
Bike Check

Wrong! Russia doesn't even have gays! America is 80% homosexual! - mantaymark

the word n****r actually means ignorant in its original definition it wasn't until the internet became popular and it was changed to mean black people - OneGuyIlluminatiEye

2/2/2015 6:34 PM

Thanks everybody lol

|

2/2/2015 6:36 PM

I'll try out basic tubes. I've always ran slime tubes in the past, and they've been successful. I could care less about weight. Do you even lift bro? hahaha messin.

|

2/2/2015 6:56 PM

Baphometh wrote:

I'll try out basic tubes. I've always ran slime tubes in the past, and they've been successful. I could care less about weight. Do you even lift bro? hahaha messin.

I have never had a slime tube seal itself after being punctured. My friend had one explode last week and it sprayed goop all over his bike. It was nasty!

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

2/2/2015 7:15 PM

Slime tubes are not that great. They only save tiny punctures and barely ever.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

2/2/2015 8:10 PM

Oddity wrote:

Ok

|

2/3/2015 1:51 AM

18x2.25 tubes in 2.2/2.4 here.

|

2/3/2015 7:21 AM

Ya Slime tubes just make a mess inside my tire and never work for me, but other people have success with them. I just get the 5 dollar Bell tubes at Walmart and they are great.

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417

2/3/2015 5:38 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

I have never had a slime tube seal itself after being punctured. My friend had one explode last week and it sprayed goop all over his bike. It was nasty!

They've always worked for me. I use them mainly for pinch flats. They easily seal up a little ass pinch flat.

|

2/3/2015 5:39 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Slime tubes are not that great. They only save tiny punctures and barely ever.

I've always had luck with them besides this one time I ran over a broken beer bottle...

|

2/3/2015 5:40 PM

Shortdude wrote:

Ya Slime tubes just make a mess inside my tire and never work for me, but other people have success with them. I just get the 5 dollar Bell tubes at Walmart and they are great.

I might as well fuck with them since they're cheaper. If only they made solid rubber tubes

|

2/3/2015 5:40 PM

tecnic1 wrote:

Thanks homie! I'm not going to ride an 18" tube on a 20" rim though... That makes no sense whatsoever

|

2/3/2015 5:44 PM

tecnic1 wrote:

Baphometh wrote:

Thanks homie! I'm not going to ride an 18" tube on a 20" rim though... That makes no sense whatsoever

I'm on this saving rotating weight kick right now.

|

2/3/2015 5:51 PM

tecnic1 wrote:

Baphometh wrote:

tecnic1 wrote:

Lol, I'm sure it doesn't make that much of a difference, but more power to you man.

|

2/4/2015 7:30 AM

A standard tube up to 2.125 is fine, you can always go smaller but never larger. Take a tube out and blow it up you'd be surprised how massive they can go.
The more overinflated it is the easier it is for air to seep like a balloon, but barely noticeable.

I'm weight conscious so for the extra weight of slime tubes I'd rather slip a few slime skabs in my pockets haha. Personally I think slime tubes are great for mbt as I'm a shop mechanic I do loads of slime stuff on already punctured tuses and it's never let me down but for bmx I wouldn't bother, tyres you can get off and stick a skab on without taking the wheel off by hand and it's easy to borrow a pump wherever you are.

|

2/4/2015 10:37 AM

And they have solid tubes btw....

|

2/4/2015 12:52 PM

Shady~Piez wrote:

A standard tube up to 2.125 is fine, you can always go smaller but never larger. Take a tube out and blow it up you'd be surprised how massive they can go.
The more overinflated it is the easier it is for air to seep like a balloon, but barely noticeable.

I'm weight conscious so for the extra weight of slime tubes I'd rather slip a few slime skabs in my pockets haha. Personally I think slime tubes are great for mbt as I'm a shop mechanic I do loads of slime stuff on already punctured tuses and it's never let me down but for bmx I wouldn't bother, tyres you can get off and stick a skab on without taking the wheel off by hand and it's easy to borrow a pump wherever you are.

Well, I carry a couple spare tubes and a pump in the back of my car whenever I go ride. I guess I'll try it out. Thanks man!

|

2/4/2015 1:52 PM

Baphometh wrote:

tecnic1 wrote:

Baphometh wrote:

Lol, I'm sure it doesn't make that much of a difference, but more power to you man.

Its only like an ounce or so, but the tubes are the same price, so its basicly free. Some dudes will pay $20 or $30 for some titanium to save that much.

|

2/4/2015 2:13 PM

tecnic1 wrote:

Baphometh wrote:

tecnic1 wrote:

Its only like an ounce or so, but the tubes are the same price, so its basicly free. Some dudes will pay $20 or $30 for some titanium to save that much.

Yeah, I guess. It all adds up in the end. I know a friend who rode titanium profile hubs, titanium spokes, ceramic headset, carbon fiber seat post, and bunch of other stuff. The bike costed like $2,000, but it was pretty damn light. It wasn't strong at all, but it was light.

|