Two questions about striped stem bolts

Related:
Create New Tag

4/10/2013 3:18 PM

My bars slipped a bit back and my bolts stripped a week or two ago. How would i get them off and what bolts would u recommend the shadow hollows or the stolen hollows?

|

I ride for my papou.
Cats got 9 lives I got four.

4/10/2013 3:24 PM

i would recommend not hollow lol

hollows tend to snap on ya

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

4/10/2013 3:29 PM

sketchytravis wrote:

Shit. Then where do i find a metric stembolt?

|

I ride for my papou.

4/10/2013 7:47 PM

bummmmmmmmmmmmmmparooni

|

I ride for my papou.

4/10/2013 7:53 PM

sketchytravis wrote:

I asked a similar question awhile back before I got my stem that has hollow bolts, and someone explained they're not more prone to snapping. I forget exactly what they said though. I'll dig it up in a minute if I can find it.

|

4/10/2013 8:04 PM

okay I found it.

"as for hollow bolts you need to understand the science, you have 2 concave layers in the bolt that needs to snap through, instead of a sold piece with one layer, with 2 it is going to be harder to snap, yea they can snap but thats a lemon. I have 3 hollow bolts on my stem, bars never slipped once, haven't snapped any, dont worry bout hollow, i recommend it just cause it has 2 points of failure it needs to go through to break completely" - SeANIMAL

as for which bolts, either will work just fine. unless you want a specific color, then go with shadow

|

4/10/2013 9:13 PM

I don't know any pro riders that run hollow bolts, FWIW.

you should be able to get stem bolts from any good shop or mail order.

|

4/10/2013 9:30 PM

if you stripped your stem bolts id recamend using the proper allen wrench size and not getting hollow bolts

|

4/11/2013 9:49 AM

If it is the head of the bolts that are stripped, you can tap a slightly larger allen wrench into it, enough to get a grip, then just remove the bolts.. i had to do this with my pitchfork compression bolt and i've been using it with a size seven wrench, instead of the normal six, and it's been fine for a few months..

if it is the threads that are stripped, whether it's on the bolts or inside the stem, you can just cut them with one of these and remove your bars and get it off the steerer tube..

hollow bolts are fine.. i remember someone saying that they snap easily, but i ran some, for almost a year with no problems, when i had my cult stem.

|

Stupidity, outrage, vanity, cruelty, iniquity, bad faith, falsehood - we fail to see the whole array when it is facing in the same direction as we.
-- Jean Rostand

4/11/2013 9:55 AM

if you stripped the actual bolt in the stem you have to buy anew one unless you know somebody who can drill and remachine it.. my dad actually just fixed my stem last night...

|

4/11/2013 10:13 AM

It was the head.... The head has another maybe 3 tightens before they just go circle

|

I ride for my papou.

4/11/2013 10:21 AM

oh in that case just try hammering a slightly bigger size into it.. if that doesn't work you can try using a grab it separated screw remover.. you use one end to drill a hole into it then u flip it and the thing threads in and when you back it out it comes right out...

|

4/11/2013 4:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/11/2013 4:46 PM

Lets say there aren2 pieces of metal shafts one is hollow one is not both are the same diameter and both are the same length the only variable is one is hollow one is not everything else Is the same

In simple bending, the solid shafts will be stronger, but .... There is more to consider. For large diameter shafts the weight of the shaft becomes a significant bending load that must be added to the applied load. For a large diameter shaft, a hollow shaft may support a greater applied load. Why, the weight of the solid shaft increases faster than the stiffness and I/c as the diameter increases. A hollow shaft gets stiffer faster than the weight increases as the diameter increases.

If vibration is a concern, then again the hollow shaft will be better as it has less mass and the natural frequency will be higher (usually desirable). If this is a rotating shaft, then forced vibration due to a sagging shaft or out of balance can become a problem sooner for a solid shaft than for a hollow shaft. Also for a rotating shaft (e.g. that drive shaft) the hollow shaft will have less rotational inertia.

|

4/11/2013 10:32 PM

Get the right allan keys. I stripped everything, but if you get the right size (Metric, Imperial) it should still work.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/12/2013 9:16 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

okay I found it.

"as for hollow bolts you need to understand the science, you have 2 concave layers in the bolt that needs to snap through, instead of a sold piece with one layer, with 2 it is going to be harder to snap, yea they can snap but thats a lemon. I have 3 hollow bolts on my stem, bars never slipped once, haven't snapped any, dont worry bout hollow, i recommend it just cause it has 2 points of failure it needs to go through to break completely" - SeANIMAL

as for which bolts, either will work just fine. unless you want a specific color, then go with shadow

damn didnt know that, there was a few of my friends that were riding hollows and snapped them, but they havent snapped their regular ones... maybe it was jsut a fluke

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

4/12/2013 10:12 AM

lilchrissyy wrote:

Lets say there aren2 pieces of metal shafts one is hollow one is not both are the same diameter and both are the same length the only variable is one is hollow one is not everything else Is the same

In simple bending, the solid shafts will be stronger, but .... There is more to consider. For large diameter shafts the weight of the shaft becomes a significant bending load that must be added to the applied load. For a large diameter shaft, a hollow shaft may support a greater applied load. Why, the weight of the solid shaft increases faster than the stiffness and I/c as the diameter increases. A hollow shaft gets stiffer faster than the weight increases as the diameter increases.

If vibration is a concern, then again the hollow shaft will be better as it has less mass and the natural frequency will be higher (usually desirable). If this is a rotating shaft, then forced vibration due to a sagging shaft or out of balance can become a problem sooner for a solid shaft than for a hollow shaft. Also for a rotating shaft (e.g. that drive shaft) the hollow shaft will have less rotational inertia.

This bolts in a bmx stem have no side load applied to them in the manner you describe. The force applied is pulling them apart. A smaller amount of material being pulled apart is not stronger than more material. Your statement on vibrating forces has nothing to do with this application and most likely intended for the concept of drive shafts. The only gain for hollow bolts in this application is weight savings.

|

4/12/2013 10:29 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

okay I found it.

sketchytravis wrote:

damn didnt know that, there was a few of my friends that were riding hollows and snapped them, but they havent snapped their regular ones... maybe it was jsut a fluke

Hollow bolts the same size and grade as solid bolts are not stronger. The material making up the "2 concave layers" of the hollow bolt would be there whether the bolt is hollowed or not. Removing material does not keep bolts from pulling apart.

The statement, "as for hollow bolts you need to understand the science," preceding the bull crap posted after it makes me laugh.

You will never hear and engineer say, "This is a high strength application, we better use hollow bolts" HAha.

|

4/12/2013 1:05 PM

Stripped heads are easy to deal with.. you can either use an allen wrench one size larger so that the head fits snug to it (sometimes you gotta tap it in there) and then remove and replace the stripped bolts.. or you could cut them, but that makes it hard to get the threaded area of the bolt out, so you might need a new stem afterwards..

nothing at all wrong with hollow bolts, but i wouldn't go outta my way to get them just to save weight.. some stems come with them, so i have run them before,. i do, however, prefer heavier, beefier bolts like the ones that came with the Fit BF.. even the head on those are bigger than the ones on the freeze or any other stem i've used before.. i've tighten the crap outta them before, just for the hell of it, and they showed absolutely no rounding or wear at all.

|

Stupidity, outrage, vanity, cruelty, iniquity, bad faith, falsehood - we fail to see the whole array when it is facing in the same direction as we.
-- Jean Rostand