Tyre pressure

Related:
Create New Tag

7/15/2017 11:51 AM

I just got a track pump. Previously I was using a hand pump that would only pump till around 25-30 psi so my tyres were quite flat. I pumped them up to 60 and it feels so much different. First off it rolls better, it's easier to fakie roll out and just as easy to bunny hop. The only thing I found was that it feels heavier. Is this just mental or is it heavier. I'm keeping it 60 no matter what but I'm just curious. Also it's quite hard to bunny hop at speed

|

An Indian on a small bike

7/15/2017 1:41 PM

More air, more weight, but it worth it, the bike feels way better.

|

7/15/2017 1:43 PM

That's ya mental mate, it's all in your head. No way I or anyone, except the exceptionally weak, can feel the difference of air weight in their tires

|

@coupd_tat

7/16/2017 1:37 PM

Air doesn't add more weight... Adding zero to zero still equals zero lol.

|

7/16/2017 4:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/16/2017 4:57 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Air doesn't add more weight... Adding zero to zero still equals zero lol.

It does weigh something, hence our atmospheric pressure at sea level being 15 psi, another example is a scuba tank will be 6lbs heavier when full of air @ 3000psi, but its not going to be something you will be able to feel when you double your tyre pressure, that feeling is more likely down to less deflection from the tyres making it feel harder to pop up, at 30psi it'll kinda be like a bouncy castle, more deflection, more give when you push it into the ground, at 60 there's a whole lot less "give" so its not heavier, just more rigid, you'll get used to it in a day or 2

|