Tyres suitable for skidding

Related:
Create New Tag

6/15/2017 2:03 PM

Hi,

My son is really enjoying riding an 18" Harry Madmain BMX but particularly enjoys skidding around corners which has lead to two burst tyres in as many weeks.

Are tyres that are more suitable for skidding available?

Cheers!

|

6/15/2017 2:08 PM

Not really I'm afraid. Their main aim is grip, and skidding is kind of the opposite

|

6/15/2017 2:25 PM

That's a shame, when I'm out with him on my old wtp arcade trying to teach him a few tricks it is quite impressive seeing him go literally sideways as his chosen method of coming to a stop!

|

6/15/2017 2:41 PM

Maybe the 18 inch Fit T/A tires. I have those and they hold up to skidding Ok but I don't do it alot nor do I run brakes. But I think they'd be ok.

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

6/15/2017 2:42 PM

Some tires will be better than others. Mainly you want to looking at weight. Something​ 30+ ounces will last much longer than than something like a Tioga power block, that weighs something like 15oz. I'd recommend the cult dehart slicks off the top of my head. I know they are a very heavy weight street tire. Around 33 ozs. If he's skidding a lot, the more rubber, the longer they will last.

|

6/15/2017 3:18 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Some tires will be better than others. Mainly you want to looking at weight. Something​ 30+ ounces will last much longer than than something like a Tioga power block, that weighs something like 15oz. I'd recommend the cult dehart slicks off the top of my head. I know they are a very heavy weight street tire. Around 33 ozs. If he's skidding a lot, the more rubber, the longer they will last.

18" tires are harder to come by sadly.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/15/2017 5:51 PM

Cut an old tire and line the new tire. All you need to do is cut the sidewalls off. That way, while he will still get holes in the tire...he has a 2nd layer under that. It will not last that long, but it will save you some money on tires and tubes. Instead of 2 tires in 2 weeks you can get 3 maybe 4 weeks out of one.

|

6/15/2017 6:33 PM

Or maybe when the back tire is almost to the point where it is going to get holes in it, switch the front and rear tires yeah it might be a pain in the butt, it should prevent you from going through tires too fast...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

6/15/2017 7:18 PM

Oh yeah didn't notice the 18" part. My bad.

|

6/16/2017 9:15 AM

How about dirt tyres? only reason i say this is the knobblies on my BMX's as a kid seemed to last a while before i would need a new tyre, was using them on street 99% of the time.

|