Tyres too big for forks. Help!

Related:
Create New Tag

6/5/2020 6:53 AM

My new Primo v monster tyres are too big for my forks. They’re 2.4 but I’ve never had an issue with phat front tyres until know.
I have some other forks which work but my god they look shit compared to my Federals. Either thinner front tyre or different forks...

Right? Or is there a solution somewhere so I can use these forks and tyres together somehow?

Photo

The alternative forks.
Photo
Photo

|

6/5/2020 7:18 AM

Get smaller tires

|

fack off

6/5/2020 7:55 AM

Get a half-round file and file the bottom of the steerer so it's the same shape as the Federals

|

6/5/2020 11:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/5/2020 11:20 AM

As someone who absolutely despises fat tires, I say go thinner, but the cheapest option would, of course, be to just use the forks.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

6/5/2020 12:09 PM

mark-s wrote:

Get a half-round file and file the bottom of the steerer so it's the same shape as the Federals

This sounds like a sound idea. Carve out enough room for the tyres! Doing this won't fuck up the stability of the forks though will it?

Its me being a bit anal really, but these Federals are just proportionally correct.

|

6/6/2020 11:11 AM

I doubt filing it is gonna do anything. It's not on the weld. Or at least avoid the weld. Like he said the other forks are done this way. If it was me, that's what I would do. Looks like a bit of filing and you'll be good to go. That being said, not sure how much you'll need to do because when you land it's gonna force air to the top side of the tube. And you'll need to have more room than just enough to let it roll without any pressure on the tires.

You could always use the other forks too. But wouldn't hurt to try and shape that steerer tube I don't think.

Disclaimer, I'm no expert. Just work on bikes a bit.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

6/29/2020 9:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/29/2020 9:01 AM

We went to town on the forks over the weekend and it worked. Didn’t need much but these are so much better than the thinner forks I had to use. Much more stability!Photo

|

6/29/2020 4:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/29/2020 4:37 PM

Good you got it sorted out, I would have also suggested to just add a small spacer or a half axle to the curve of the drops just to get you enough clearance, that way you don't have to modify anything.

|

6/30/2020 12:48 AM

Cellmember wrote:

Good you got it sorted out, I would have also suggested to just add a small spacer or a half axle to the curve of the drops just to get you enough clearance, that way you don't have to modify anything.

That would've been a good shout, I still might do that just to make sure the tyres don't rub for now until I send the wheels off to get trued by Source.

Thanks for the advice.

|

6/30/2020 2:03 PM

Sounds like you're on your way!!!!! Glad you figured it out.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

7/1/2020 1:37 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

Sounds like you're on your way!!!!! Glad you figured it out.

Makes such a change. Though this weekend I'll be sanding down any sharp bits left over as my paranoia is going mad.
I think I'll get brand new grips and a new crankset/pedals to really hone in the bike for my riding. These were 2nd hand on a used bike I bought.

|

7/1/2020 7:49 AM

Looks nice with the tyre slammed right up in there.

|

7/1/2020 8:55 AM

Sanding is good. LOL. Sharp metal is not fun. Especially if you're doing footjams and your feet slide under there a bit. You might ruin your shoes or cut yourself when working on it.

|

7/1/2020 9:21 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

Sanding is good. LOL. Sharp metal is not fun. Especially if you're doing footjams and your feet slide under there a bit. You might ruin your shoes or cut yourself when working on it.

Would it be worth putting a bar end up there aswell if there's enough space?

|

7/2/2020 7:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/2/2020 7:51 AM

How much did you remove? LOL. I wouldn't think there would be enough room if you were struggling to have room to begin with. Unless you went to town on it. LOL.

I don't use one yet and when I do footjams mine gobbles up my foot kind of but I'm sort of used to it. It hasn't gotten stuck yet but I've debated on if I want to or not. I feel like it would be annoying and might even be more uncomfortable. I have small tires, FWIW. 2.0". So it would probably feel like a bar end pushing on the top of my foot.

If there's enough room it might work for you cuz it might just keep your foot completely out. Either that or it will jam the tips of your toes. LOL.

If you sanded off the rough spots I don't think you'd NEED a bar end. But that's up to you.

By the way, your bike is very cool looking. What pedals you got there and what color are they? They look like they're not black. Looks good.

|

7/2/2020 3:44 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

How much did you remove? LOL. I wouldn't think there would be enough room if you were struggling to have room to begin with. Unless you went to town on it. LOL.

I don't use one yet and when I do footjams mine gobbles up my foot kind of but I'm sort of used to it. It hasn't gotten stuck yet but I've debated on if I want to or not. I feel like it would be annoying and might even be more uncomfortable. I have small tires, FWIW. 2.0". So it would probably feel like a bar end pushing on the top of my foot.

If there's enough room it might work for you cuz it might just keep your foot completely out. Either that or it will jam the tips of your toes. LOL.

If you sanded off the rough spots I don't think you'd NEED a bar end. But that's up to you.

By the way, your bike is very cool looking. What pedals you got there and what color are they? They look like they're not black. Looks good.

We removed a fair old chuck of metal to really make sure the tyre will never hit.

I would say there’s now half an inch free? Will get pics at some point! I only thought of the bar ends just to stop my shoes getting shredded, we shall see if needed.

Thank you for the compliment, the pedals are by Fit. They’re a black/red swirl but slightly bent thanks to a bail out at the track today so I need some new ones! I’m such an emo and hate colour on my bike, always had black.

|