U brake plates

Related:
Create New Tag

2/4/2015 6:37 PM

So I saw that dans has them again and wanna try front brakes. However the only "reviews" or "experience" with them I found was on bmx museum. And there was only 2 and on older bikes. The bikes were so clean that I doubt they are ridden very often if it all, they were showroom quality. So what I'm asking is for anyone with firsthand experience with them to give me some info. Do they shift if you pull the brakes too hard? Are they steel or aluminum? etc etc

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

2/4/2015 6:52 PM

They are kind of a head ache to get dialed in. The main issue is getting it tight enough while keeping the plate centered. I used two bolts instead of the one they provide. I also used lock tight. Once I got it on, it never shifted or got loose. For $12 it was worth a try. Eventually I up graded to AND 23mm 990 forks.

Heres what my bike looked like with one on

|

Ref: Mario.villegas90, Williambreathes

2/5/2015 4:14 AM

|

It’s all bmx

2/5/2015 3:56 PM

You could look into the Deco FuFork, it has REMOVEABLE BRAKE MOUNTS.

Then you can rock em any time you want.

Just don't expect to be uber-good at front wheel stuff. It takes muscles you don't normally use, and it is super hard to get good at.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/5/2015 4:17 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Just don't ...more

I'm looking into less costly alternatives to buying new forks. I'm just trying front brakes and dont wanna end up sitting on a 990 set waiting for them to sell if i dont like front brakes. The removeable part is cool but not a factor in my decision

|

2/5/2015 5:39 PM

Try em. You tell us.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/6/2015 8:05 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Just don't ...more

tomdon wrote:

I'm looking into less costly alternatives to buying new forks. I'm just trying front brakes and dont wanna end up sitting on a ...more

Find a fork on Craigslist/ebay for cheap, or even just a cheapy walmart bike fork that maybe your buddy's lil bro has just to check them out, and if you like em, get a new fork?

The plates work ok from what I have seen. Just make sure they are on tight.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/6/2015 8:19 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GT-Dyno-Freestyle-Flatland-BMX-Fork-1-1-8-Threadless-20-Chromoly-Black-NEW-/141536345815?pt=US_Forks&hash=item20f4393ed7

$32.49

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Redline-Recon-20-inch-BMX-Forks-w-990-Mounts-1-1-8-Threadless-deep-red-/231467323768?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e4871178

$40.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GT-BMX-Forks-100-chromoly-/121560164948?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4d8cea54

24.99 + 14.99 shipping.

Some reasonable options price-wise.

33 bucks shipped for the one is only about 23 more than the brake plate. The redline fork is a "make offer" setup, you could offer like 20 bucks and see what happens.

Does your current fork have the hole at the crown for the plate to bolt to? If not, you will need a fork to make it work.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/6/2015 8:21 AM

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/6/2015 10:25 AM

1, No i dont have a hole in the crown. I have ody r32s

2. How did you get all those results? I typed "990 bmx fork" on ebay and all I got was the recons and some and33s for 100$. I will look into all those others too

|

2/6/2015 1:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2015 1:40 PM

tomdon wrote:

1, No i dont have a hole in the crown. I have ody r32s

2. How did you get all those results? I typed "990 bmx fork" on ebay ...more

If you don't have that hole, you might not be able to make the plate work, or you could drill a hole in the fork...but I would talk to Odyssey about that.

I typed BMX fork, and looked for the ones with 990s. tongue

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura