UHMW peg sleeves. Why haven’t they caught on?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/29/2018 10:48 PM

Seems like the super obvious material for plastic peg sleeves. I’m perplexed why there arent any on the market. I have some UHMW parts on my aggressive inline skates and they slide SOOOOOOOO much faster n last WAYYYY longer.

|

9/29/2018 11:06 PM

My guess is they would last too long...

I have trusted my life many times to this type of plastic. I rock climbed every day of my life for many years as a young child up until my early 20's. Climbing ropes are made from this material.

I would love to test some out for pegs...

|

9/30/2018 6:44 AM

What plastic are PC pegs usually made of btw?

|

9/30/2018 7:26 AM

Rabbe wrote:

What plastic are PC pegs usually made of btw?

Polypropylene maybe or some type of nylon composite

|

9/30/2018 7:34 AM

Yeah something like that would be my guess as well

|

9/30/2018 7:58 AM

Because money. I bet some hardcore street riders replace their sleeves every week. Why would manufactures want to make them last longer? I rode the same Jpegs for 7 years. Odyssey got that initial small sum of money from me and then never heard from me again. For pegs at least. Manufactures can't afford to make parts that last forever. Instead they make it reasonable enough to want to go back for more. That sweet spot.

|

9/30/2018 8:22 AM

I have a bunch of UHMW round stock at work. I might try making a set.

|

9/30/2018 9:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/30/2018 9:51 AM

jbales wrote:

Because money. I bet some hardcore street riders replace their sleeves every week. Why would manufactures want to make them last longer? I rode the same Jpegs for 7 years. Odyssey got that initial small sum of money from me and then never heard from me again. For pegs at least. Manufactures can't afford to make parts that last forever. Instead they make it reasonable enough to want to go back for more. That sweet spot.

You mean odyssey doesn’t 4130 heat treat and lifetime warrenty pegs ?

I always wondered why magnesium hub shells never caught on , for a while there was allot of magnesium pedals , I had a proper magnati back in the day magnesium hub shell with all titanium interals , I loved that hub

|

9/30/2018 11:30 AM

@BulletPup / @jbales Yeah but metal pegs last forever, and they still make those? UHMW isnt going to last nearly as long, but it can take helluva lot more abuse and its the most crack resistant plastic. You would think making some would have people preferring those over other pegs and making all the money.

@Rabbe the only good alternative is fibre reinforced nylon. Anything else would be dogshit slow and wear so fast people would talk mad shxt

@Blizzbikes YOO!!! Sick! Let us know how it goes!

@eskimojay Magnesium heats up too much and will begin to damage itself and parts its in contact with. Few kids probably got burned with magnesium pedals or melted shoes.

|

9/30/2018 12:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/30/2018 12:43 PM

CARBON FIBER CORES + UHMW? also nice eva cake

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

9/30/2018 1:43 PM

I've always found UHMW to be pretty soft, at least the material used in the food industry. Once it begins to wear it seems to go quickly. Delrin seemed like a better "wearing surface" but it can become brittle and chunk with impacts.

|

9/30/2018 1:47 PM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

CARBON FIBER CORES + UHMW? also nice eva cake

☎️FBI: “Stay right where you are!”

Thank you! This artist on FB made it n sent me a print in exchange for a seapunk type banner I made them. I’d link but I’m banned from FB ?

|

9/30/2018 1:52 PM

|

9/30/2018 1:56 PM

Those are the only ones i know of. Thats why I said “caught on” instead of existing in general. Theyre old af n never tried them cuz I like steel. I do enjoy the hollow “thoom!” sound of plastic tho. UHMW seems like the most logical material

|

9/30/2018 4:13 PM

Homer416 wrote:

I've always found UHMW to be pretty soft, at least the material used in the food industry. Once it begins to wear it seems to go quickly. Delrin seemed like a better "wearing surface" but it can become brittle and chunk with impacts.

Delrin is whats used on frame sliders / stunt cages on motorcycles. i have delrin sliders on my stunt cage

|

9/30/2018 4:14 PM

Homer416 wrote:

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

Delrin is whats used on frame sliders / stunt cages on motorcycles. i have delrin sliders on my stunt cage

Is that one of those giant balls you ride loops around ? Sounds like what a stunt cage should be

|

9/30/2018 4:23 PM

I use delrin guitar picks. silly

|

9/30/2018 5:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/30/2018 6:05 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Is that one of those giant balls you ride loops around ? Sounds like what a stunt cage should be

its a cage that bolts through the frame of a motorcycle so if you drop it or knock it over you dont damage your engine/cases, shifter etc

Photo

(this isnt my bike, but cage uptop is)

Photo

?start=54
|

9/30/2018 6:17 PM

1- Why use plastic pegs? Maybe on 2 things I can think of they might help. Otherwise just ride faster

2- Money! If a sleeve can last for awhile then nobody makes money for the replacements. And who is going to get a $45.00 set of plastic pegs so that they might break even?

|

9/30/2018 6:56 PM

Why dont they have sleeves that spin?..ideally you would get the most consistent grinding with less wear right? Like easterns pop lock hub guard that spins with the wheel

|

9/30/2018 7:09 PM

NateBrown62 wrote:

Why dont they have sleeves that spin?..ideally you would get the most consistent grinding with less wear right? Like easterns pop lock hub guard that spins with the wheel

That has been done; there's a video on YouTube somewhere.

There's really no need for it and adding moving parts without significantly increasing the size is just begging for trouble, not to mention the additional cost for such a feature.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson