Ultimate Hubguard (Animal PYN MKIII)

Related:
Create New Tag

10/19/2013 7:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/19/2013 7:22 AM

Tired of messing around with my Animal PYN. Sleeve cracked nearly after i got it which causes it to rub the spokes. Without the sleeve, theres nothing guarding even the slightest bit of the spokes.
Photo
(Note: I tapped my Animal PYN to work on a Primo Remix hub)
So I solved this by putting the PYN and a GSport Gland MKIII together and getting rid of that plastic sleeve. Heres the steps to how I did it.

Materials- Power drill or lathe with drill bit suit for drilling into nylon, Gland MKIII, vicegrips/vice/any clamping area.

Step 1
I removed the sleeve from the Animal PYN and centered it ontop of the Gland. You will notice there's very little room inbetween the edge of the PYN and the zipties/shoe lace of the Gland.Photo

Step 2
You're going to use your power drill to cut out the center of the Gland. I used a 7mm drill bit, you can use smaller, but I wouldn't suggest anything bigger. You'll want to start by putting a hole apx. 1mm under every ziptie spot on the Gland.

Step 3
Using the same drill bit, drill as many holes inbetween the previous ones from Step 2. When done, it should almost look like it has a dotted line wrapped around it.

Step 4
Use the same or smaller drill bit to "cut" the holes together.Photo

Photo

Just keep at it till the center is dangling. Then twist it off.Photo

Step 5
I used nail clippers to clip off a lot of small points that would rub against the PYN. I then ran the drill bit around and cleaned up a lot of points that hung out too far.

Step 6
I used some very low profile zipties (unlike the ones it comes with) and tightened them down VERY hard. You don't want the gland to have any room to move, as it will hit the PYN. With the Gland tightened completely still, I thread my SLEEVELESS Animal PYN onto the hub.

The thick aluminun center of the PYN gives ultimate hub protection, while the Gland protects a large portion of the spokes.
Photo

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

10/19/2013 2:08 PM

This is the ghetto-est most amazing thing I have ever seen.
I'd suggest getting a chromoly guard next time you're shopping for guards.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

10/19/2013 2:13 PM

andyferly wrote:

This is the ghetto-est most amazing thing I have ever seen.
I'd suggest getting a chromoly guard next time you're shopping for guards.

Thank you lol. And I plan on it. Friend hooked me up with the gland so I figured I'd make do.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx