Uncertified Helmets?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/29/2014 10:45 PM

I ride with a helmet , but lately I haven't. Mine is full of stickers and is purple ; doesn't match me or my bike. I've been planning on buying a Protec (Again , they're good) but I'm hesitant because it's uncertified. I dig the clear body with red straps , but what's the use of buying a helmet if it doesn't protect me? Mind you I'm not going huge but I still go off 9 sets and loading docks.

I know Brett B. was wearing the same helmet , and although any crash like his will hurt you , I'm sure a certified helmet would have prevented alot of the shock. (Take a note , I have no intentions of disrspecting him. He is one of my favourite park riders , and I actually run 2 different grip colours like him , as a shoutout)

Any advice and info? Just want to be sure if it's worth it.

As I say , no point looking cool if you're dead. Wear a brain bucket , instead of a hat !

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/29/2014 11:13 PM

How much does it matter what your helmet looks like? Mine is bright Yellow but I don't mind, but each to their own. I know someone who sprayed their helmet and it didn't come out too bad.

As for the Protec helmet, any helmets better than no helmet, I guess, but if you look around you can find certified helmets quite cheaply.

|

4/29/2014 11:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/29/2014 11:35 PM

You worrying about what your helmet looks like to worrying about what it does = foolish move ....I've seen people not listen to that advice and not listen and end up with concussions and teeth knocked out so many times it's ridiculous .....most of them end up being pussys who sell their bike and quit ... If you make that mistake once
Youl know not to do it Again

|

4/30/2014 5:54 AM

Not all protecs are uncertified

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

4/30/2014 6:28 AM

There are loads of helments, pick one certificatd that suits you.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

4/30/2014 7:19 AM

Get the six six one dirt lid, it's good and certified.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

4/30/2014 9:01 AM

Shouldn't matter what a helmet looks like, if it does its job keep it or paint it if it bothers you that much

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

4/30/2014 8:00 PM

Get a certified helmet. Granted the uncertified are better than nothing, they don't offer the impact resistance or force absorbing that a certified does, which means your head takes more impact.

Honestly anyone who whines about the look should just stop.

My helmet is aqua colored, my setup is chrome black and red. Run it, who cares?

If it is an issue, spray bomb it, or just get a black helmet.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/30/2014 9:58 PM

unverified is better than nothing, but then again its better to be safe than sorry. get a certified one. there are certified helmets out there that don't look bad

|

You're never too old to have fun.

Bike
Summer riding

4/30/2014 10:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/30/2014 10:22 PM

Smashed my head on Sunday. Went to doctor because of headaches afterwards. No concussion, but seeming as he has been in this business for years, he asked me if I wad wearing a helmet. I said yes, he asked me what kind, and pulled out a graph/list thing and saw what I had. He asked for the helmet, checked the compression of the hard foam stuff and basically concluded this:
No helmet, you would've died.
Non certified helmet, serious concussion.
Certified helmet, minor concussion to nothing ut a headache like I had. I had a certified (fox transition, I think it's the hardshell version, one of the BEST helmets available) and he sent me off with orders to get a new helmet because I compressed the foam too much. Hopefully you got the message, get a fookin certified! We want brayden! Not a vegetable!

|

5/1/2014 5:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/1/2014 5:47 AM

get a certified helmet.. and to the people saying non certified is better than nothing that is not completely true. Bell did research on it and in multiple cases the shell cracked in such a way that it caused even more damage then not wearing one. JUST GET CERTIFIED. The bell segment is pricy but is considered one of the most comfortable by alot of pros and its dual certified so its good. I have a fox transition and i love it. Its certified and its comfortable. I wish i had realized that it wasnt dual certified before I bought it though..I would have happily dropped the extra 10 dollars for a bell.

|

5/1/2014 6:31 AM

biggybuggy wrote:

Smashed my head on Sunday. Went to doctor because of headaches afterwards. No concussion, but seeming as he has been in this business for years, he asked me if I wad wearing a helmet. I said yes, he asked me what kind, and pulled out a graph/list thing and saw what I had. He asked for the helmet, checked the compression of the hard foam stuff and basically concluded this:
No helmet, you would've died.
Non certified helmet, serious concussion.
Certified helmet, minor concussion to nothing ut a headache like I had. I had a certified (fox transition, I think it's the hardshell version, one of the BEST helmets available) and he sent me off with orders to get a new helmet because I compressed the foam too much. Hopefully you got the message, get a fookin certified! We want brayden! Not a vegetable!

THat was worth man. I have luckly never smashed my head whil biking.

As for the last comment, it seems like i should by another helment them ahha, mine is a 10buck one that was sold in a normal shop.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

5/2/2014 11:54 AM

I'm thinking of picking up the certified Protec with a clear shell / black strap. I don't go big or anything , so I'm still on edge. Leaning towards a certified one. With summer coming up I want a helmet that's also comfortable and stays on , and that keeps the sweat in.

|

My Cult 2 Short

5/2/2014 1:18 PM

I would just get a Bell Faction. I have it and I know It comes in a lot of different colors and it is certified.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

5/2/2014 1:57 PM

I tried the exact helmet , Protec Lasek , yesterday and it felt waaayyy better than my certified Protec. It looked good too.

|

My Cult 2 Short

5/2/2014 2:46 PM

ive ridden in both certified and non certified helmets and the idea that a non certified helmet will offer little protection is simply not true. until the point where the foam is completely compressed it will compress more than the hard foam meaning that your head decelerates less quickly essentially making the crash take longer. this is great for small to medium crashes as it makes for far fewer concussions however if you hit your head really hard then the foam fully compresses and the force is transferred directly to your head which is where you are going to be in serious trouble. Not all non certified helmets are the same however, for example its much easier to fully compress a protec Lasek than a Capix due to the density of the foam used and this means you can hit your head harder without a very big issue. however remember that a crash that cracks a hardshell will probably kill you in a soft foam. its really your choice but if you put yourself in a position to have a big crash I would recommend a hard shell all day

|

5/2/2014 3:16 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I tried the exact helmet , Protec Lasek , yesterday and it felt waaayyy better than my certified Protec. It looked good too.

Man, lets be clear, you just want that helmet really bad, go buy it.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

5/2/2014 4:50 PM

T-rider wrote:

no fuck that....

Get the clear certified. uncertifieds will almost always be more comfortable then certified. But you wanna know what will be really uncomfortable? The wheelchair you need to sit in for hours a day. I just really dont get the point in buying a helmet that you know wont protect you in a large crash.. OOHHH it helps with the small crashes... that wont be any comfort when you take a hard crash and end up with a bad concussion.

|

5/2/2014 8:55 PM

We'll see. I mind even end up just getting the certified Protec x Cult but even though I don't dig it much , it's something unique .

|

My Cult 2 Short

5/2/2014 11:29 PM

T-rider wrote:

KrisnerBMX wrote:

no fuck that....

Get the clear certified. uncertifieds will almost always be more comfortable then certified. But you wanna know what will be really uncomfortable? The wheelchair you need to sit in for hours a day. I just really dont get the point in buying a helmet that you know wont protect you in a large crash.. OOHHH it helps with the small crashes... that wont be any comfort when you take a hard crash and end up with a bad concussion.

well that's dependent on how big you go, from my experience you can hit your head really really hard in a non cert and be completely fine like I hit my head from nose casing a big set of trails and I was absolutely fine as where in a similar crash in a Hardshell I got a concussion. Pretty much the only time a Hardshell would be better from my experience is if you were to crash hard enough to seriously hurt yourself, not everyone goes that big and if you never blast big stuff then you are better of with a more comfotable helmet that you like the look of more as you are going to wear it more protecting you in the sort of crashes that you actually have rather than the type you hypothetically could have if you were to ride in a style that puts you in that situation.

|

5/3/2014 3:24 AM

KrisnerBMX wrote:

no fuck that....

He clearly want that helmet. I know that the certified is way better but if he doesnt want any......

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

5/3/2014 6:21 PM

I have a certified Protec. I'll probaly pick up the Lasek for more casual use and for chilling with friends. And when I go out and intend to try new shit and go out of my comfort zone , I'll throw on my certified one.

|

My Cult 2 Short

5/3/2014 6:53 PM

JoeDavidson wrote:

well that's dependent on how big you go, from my experience you can hit your head really really hard in a non cert and be completely fine like I hit my head from nose casing a big set of trails and I was absolutely fine as where in a similar crash in a Hardshell I got a concussion. Pretty much the only time a Hardshell would be better from my experience is if you were to crash hard enough to seriously hurt yourself, not everyone goes that big and if you never blast big stuff then you are better of with a more comfotable helmet that you like the look of more as you are going to wear it more protecting you in the sort of crashes that you actually have rather than the type you hypothetically could have if you were to ride in a style that puts you in that situation.

you can take hard crashes without a helmet and be fine... It all depends on how your head hits... if you fell and hit your head with a uncertified helmet and were fine then you would have been fine without a helmet too.. Im looking at it and the foam is really soft.. you shouldnt be able to compress it so far with your hand that you can feel the plastic shell...

|

5/3/2014 6:57 PM

ask dave about helmets.. his friend was wearing an uncertified helmet(if im not mistaken) and he fell on a simple flat 180 and had a seizure... There is NO reason to not buy a good helmet... The bell segment is AS comfortable as the uncertified ones and is 100x better....

|