Used BMX

Related:
Create New Tag

8/10/2017 10:50 AM

I just bought this used custom built bike with a Haro frame. What I didn't know until I bought the bike was that the guy I bought it from got FIRED from his job at a bike store. Anyways, one of the dropouts on the forks has been ground out so when I put the front wheel on its crooked. The bottom bracket bearings are complete garbage, the front hub is unsealed and I need new forks, tires, bb bearings and cranks. Those are what I NEED, I also want 2 Odyssey 7KA rims, spokes, Cinema VX2 Cassette, Demolition Ghost V2 front hub, Alienation 9's handlebars, Cinema Lift Kit Integrated headset and some Odi Longneck Supersoft grips. I am just overall annoyed with the situation. So if you guys have any suggestions let me know.

|

8/10/2017 11:03 AM

post a picture man. i dont suggest alienation bars to be honest. depending on the bike you shouldn't spend that much. also, the supersofts are also super short and imo TOO soft. i suggest odi longneck XL. they'll be soft in a couple weeks of riding,

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

8/10/2017 11:06 AM

Try get your money back, non sealed hub is not a big deal until you can afford one. Sealed bb are not very much depending on what you need. To address your issue and get your bike ride able you need new forks and tires and a bottom bracket, the rest you can figure out later or buy as you can afford. . I'm sure you can find uses forks but it depends on the age. What frame is it and how old. You will probably spend about 200 for used forks, 2 tires and a bottom bracket. 300 if you go new forks. Just remember you can get a brand new mongoose full chromo or a Hoffman bama for like $350 bucks so if you spent close to this try get your money back.

|

8/10/2017 11:07 AM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Try get your money back, non sealed hub is not a big deal until you can afford one. Sealed bb are not very much depending on ...more

I can't get my money back, bought it used.

|

8/10/2017 11:10 AM

Spenlard wrote:

post a picture man. i dont suggest alienation bars to be honest. depending on the bike you shouldn't spend that much. also, ...more

Here's a pic I don't have the money for all of that stuff right now anyways. Photo

|

8/10/2017 11:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2017 11:15 AM

Bike looks super ridable in that form you're good buds. Just try to get some 40 to 50 dollar forks and your in business... Tires will cost you more than used forks lol.those oddessy look fine for meow. I thought it was going to be way worse tbh.

|

8/10/2017 11:15 AM

Ok I'm looking at some Odyssey R32's but I don't have enough money yet. Where should I look for used forks anyways?

|

8/10/2017 11:28 AM

Depending on the "grind" of the fork axle hole, you could make a washer to fill the void of the grind & it will be fine.
|

8/10/2017 11:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2017 11:32 AM

you cant buy aftermarket forks or a headset its a standard headtube. so maybe do everything BESIDES forks and frame then do that in one go? BuuuUT the forks might be 14mm and typically front hubs are 10mm sooo um good luck smile

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

8/10/2017 11:55 AM

Spenlard wrote:

you cant buy aftermarket forks or a headset its a standard headtube. so maybe do everything BESIDES forks and frame then do ...more

What he said. There's only a couple of forks out there now that don't come with a built in race.
Sounds like you're planning on spending a lot on it anyway. I hope you didn't pay much, lol

|

8/10/2017 12:00 PM

I think I remember seeing that bike on the Facebook classifieds here in ok. You didn't buy it from a guy named Chris did you?

|

8/10/2017 12:04 PM

Spenlard wrote:

you cant buy aftermarket forks or a headset its a standard headtube. so maybe do everything BESIDES forks and frame then do ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

What he said. There's only a couple of forks out there now that don't come with a built in race.
Sounds like you're planning ...more

No I didn't I payed $250

|

8/10/2017 12:05 PM

johnnypoopoopants wrote:

I think I remember seeing that bike on the Facebook classifieds here in ok. You didn't buy it from a guy named Chris did you? ...more

Nope guys name was Jake.

|

8/10/2017 12:07 PM

Crispy Drift wrote:

No I didn't I payed $250

Honestly I would have kept looking a bit-only because that is an older, high tensile steel frame, and it sounds like the bike has some problems.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/10/2017 12:11 PM

The frame is Crmo.

|

8/10/2017 1:43 PM

Spenlard wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Sounds like you're planning ...more

Crispy Drift wrote:

No I didn't I payed $250

i'd have sold u my ful custom spare machine for 300 smile

|

8/10/2017 2:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2017 2:32 PM

Tell you what, if you need a top hat washer, get me some dimensions & I'll make you one. Ill need the axle diameter, the distance from the edge of the axle hole to the edge of the fork leg, & how big the axle hole is now

|

8/11/2017 11:27 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Tell you what, if you need a top hat washer, get me some dimensions & I'll make you one. Ill need the axle diameter, the ...more

I'm getting new Odyssey R32 forks in a week or two. Thank you though.

|

8/11/2017 11:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/11/2017 11:50 AM

Crispy Drift wrote:

But don't you have a standard headset?

Also, I doubt the frame is chromoly. At least, maybe the front triangle is.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

8/11/2017 12:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/11/2017 12:59 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Tell you what, if you need a top hat washer, get me some dimensions & I'll make you one. Ill need the axle diameter, the ...more

Crispy Drift wrote:

I don't think those r32s are gonna work brother, You need something along the lines of an older colony MVP etc etc , Good luck. also i think you may be able to track down an a-headset for it by oryg.I'm pretty sure FSA still makes the fatpig as well...

|

8/11/2017 1:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/11/2017 2:06 PM

I have a couple forks for sale right now. Bsd acid, stolen vortex SSL, and salt plus magic forks. Let me know if your interested. I also have some cult dehart slick tires, All in nice shape. have a bunch of other stuff. Used is the way to go. I wouldn't buy new Odyssey forks personally, but if your set on that, they are really nice forks. I think my bsd forks are better though. 6mm investment cast dropouts (Odyssey is 4mm regular welds). Full heat treated. Rock solid forks that will never break. Pretty much new. I'd recommend them over Odyssey even if I wasn't selling them, and I wouldn't be selling them, but I just have way too many right now.

|

8/11/2017 2:12 PM

Crispy Drift wrote:

Make sure you know what works with what. With all the generations of BMX stuff out there, some stuff works together, some doesn't. You don't want to throw good money after bad.

Buying used stuff CAN save you a lot of money if it's done right, but you can also waste a lot of cash if you're not careful. I would recommend "buy once, cry one" and get the perfect set up you're looking for, because often times you buy used to save some dough but it isn't quite what you really want so you buy some more stuff and start putting pieces together and it still may not be exactly what you want, but by that time you've spent close to what something new would cost.

Good luck with the bike!

|

8/11/2017 2:29 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Crispy Drift wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

But don't you have a standard headset?

Also, I doubt the frame is chromoly. At least, maybe the front triangle is.

I have a standard headset, I just want to upgrade eventually.

|

8/11/2017 2:32 PM

Andy_T wrote:

Make sure you know what works with what. With all the generations of BMX stuff out there, some stuff works together, some ...more

Yeah I agree, I'm going to my local bike shop to see if the R32 forks will fit. I was gonna spend $400-$450 on something new. When I'm done upgrading it I'll have brand new bike basically, then when I need a new frame my bike will have all new parts.

|

8/11/2017 2:33 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

I don't think those r32s are gonna work brother, You need something along the lines of an older colony MVP etc etc , Good ...more

My headset is the FSA FatPig lol.

|

8/11/2017 3:08 PM

You could always get something like this and use forks with an integrated race. I used one for a while on an old bike I had. https://www.danscomp.com/products/301014/Mechanik_STI_Sealed_Headset.html?&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6vOkypjQ1QIVB6ZpCh0x9wJ-EAQYASABEgImbPD_BwE

|

8/11/2017 3:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/11/2017 3:22 PM

Crispy Drift wrote:

BcBMX80 wrote:

I don't think those r32s are gonna work brother, You need something along the lines of an older colony MVP etc etc , Good ...more

Crispy Drift wrote:

My headset is the FSA FatPig lol.

Well you won't break that, and its a decent headset. just clean out your cups and clean your bearings every six months, you're good to go.

|

8/11/2017 7:47 PM

Crispy Drift wrote:

The frame is Crmo.

Being that I worked in a shop with Haro bikes for 4 years (09-2013) and again Feb-present, I know a little about their Midschool stuff.

It looks like a Haro Backtrail X1 from 2008. If I am correct-NOT CHROMOLY.

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/haro/15678

If you truly want to know EXACTLY what it is, send an email to Haro with the serial number and find out. I would be surprised to find out it was something other than a complete bike frame from around 2010 or so.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/14/2017 11:57 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Being that I worked in a shop with Haro bikes for 4 years (09-2013) and again Feb-present, I know a little about their ...more

I just emailed them with the serial number and I really hope that its full crmo, because if it wasn't then the guy I bought it from LIED to me.

|