V Bars, why do so few manufacturers make them?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/5/2020 11:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/6/2020 1:50 AM

I grew up in the BMX scene back in the 70's and 80's. Within the last 3 or 4 years I started riding again (reliving my youth), and building bikes. There are so many choices out there for parts, and brands, but some thing's from the old days are hard to find. As the topic of this thread says, I've found that V Bars are hard to come by. Back in the day you could get V bars from several different companies, in a array of color's. Recently I was lucky enough to pick up a set of Redline Retro Flite V bars for a build I was working on, but those seemed be limited addition, and I had to buy them from some dealer in Australia. I could not find them in stock in the US anywhere. So what's the deal? Why are V bars so scarce? Is it that riders just don't like them so manufacturers don't bother with them? Let me know what you think.

|

7/6/2020 1:34 AM

Styles have changed and they aren’t in demand.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

7/6/2020 1:36 AM

Anthony LaVey wrote:

I grew up in the BMX scene back in the 70's and 80's. Within the last 3 or 4 years I started riding again (reliving my youth), and building bikes. There are so many choices out there for parts, and brands, but some thing's from the old days are hard to find. As the topic of this thread says, I've found that V Bars are hard to come by. Back in the day you could get V bars from several different companies, in a array of color's. Recently I was lucky enough to pick up a set of Redline Retro Flite V bars for a build I was working on, but those seemed be limited addition, and I had to buy them from some dealer in Australia. I could not find them in stock in the US anywhere. So what's the deal? Why are V bars so scarce? Is it that riders just don't like them so manufacturers don't bother with them? Let me know what you think.

Extra steps in manufacturing and lack of consumer demand is probably why they went by the wayside. DK still makes them with modern geo. Chamberlain bars if I remember correctly?

I hear that if you find an old pair of Redline Stu bars, the guys over at bmx-museum will trade sexual favors for them

|

7/6/2020 2:33 AM

You can buy them from lux bmx

|

U WOT M9

7/6/2020 4:43 AM

Nowear has em.

In the US.

https://nowearbmx.com/shop

Scroll down to Hard Parts and check out Candy Bars and Street Treats.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura