Vans bmx pro cup 2019

Related:
Create New Tag

4/14/2019 5:43 PM

Was anyone else from the forum there at Five Dock? It was the sickest. My impressions:

They had a second grandstand this year, and it was waaaaaay better, seats for everyone, no queuing for half an hour or skipping toilet breaks or food because you would loose your seat. I didn't bother bringing my bike this year either.

Dylan Lewis cased the trying to transfer into the big quarter, fell like 12 feet onto his face. They held up the next heat with a bunch of people combing the bowl looking for bits of his teeth.

I was there from 9am, Gary Young rolled in on his first practice run of the day, and boosted both fricking bowl-to-bowl gaps while still half asleep. The most ludicrous warmup run I've ever seen.

Parker Heath - when you want to ride BMX but have to meet your girlfriend's parents after. Rocking a collared shirt and full face.

Trey Jones is 100% doing this as a contractual obligation, he really doesn't GAF about contests. I was surprised he didn't even try to do a double tire ride to 270 on the spine - someone else did.

Speaking of spines, Angie Marino can barely spine transfer!? It ruined the flow of her runs. The other girls had to show her how it's done - Natalya Diem, very impressive huge no-handers over the big spine.

Corey Walsh did a smack down on local boy and Cult flow rider Ben Piggot, he basically did Ben's ally-oop pocket line twice as big, right after him haha.

Incredibly, Boyd Hilder might actually be having more fun than Kevin Peraza. They are having a smile off.

Matty Cramer - seriously improved. Last year he had a complete but very "coached" run, Scotty had clearly been telling him what boxes to tick, but this year he fit right in, bigger air, smoother tricks, looking really good. Biggest flair of the weekend, and he freaking tried to tailwhip the bowl-to-bowl gap! That is HUGE.

Alex Hiams riding is twice as impressive, now I know he has no spleen, and basically lives on lentils and water because he can't digest anything.

Larry Edgar is in a different league, they should just not bother and give him the trophy at the start of the weekend, then have 1st 2nd and 3rd in the "Normal People" category.

There was this 11 year old girl who went in the women's, she dropped in on the vert quarter to start and then was doing 1 footers over the channel gap. So cool.

When I was going back to my car, I realised that Crandall's voice was carrying like 4 blocks away, through the quiet suburban family homes of Five Dock, screaming and swearing his head off, there'll be complaints about that haha. Some kids will have learnt some new words I think!

(Sorry for the essay, but I'm at work, it's slow, and I can't stop thinking about BMX)

|

4/15/2019 8:01 AM

Who would trey Jones have a contractual obligation to? just wondering.

|

4/15/2019 8:35 AM

AaronMellien wrote:

Who would trey Jones have a contractual obligation to? just wondering.

Vans

|

4/15/2019 8:48 AM

Wow, rad write-up! I kinda liked reading this better than the footage online.

- Agreed on Larry Edgar, he really has some kind of super human abilities.

- Agreed on Matty Cranmer too. I think he's slowly kinda coming out of Scotty's shadow and is finding his own way.

Overall it seems like this year was a little more "FISE-ish" where some pretty heavy tricks were worked into flowy runs.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/15/2019 11:44 AM

I'd be curious if Trey went because he seems to like riding bowls, and seemed to have a good time last go around. Maybe contractual, may be that his friends all went and it sounded fun.

Who cares either way? Sponsored riders are employees.

|

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

4/15/2019 4:50 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I'd be curious if Trey went because he seems to like riding bowls, and seemed to have a good time last go around. Maybe contractual, may be that his friends all went and it sounded fun.

That's the thing, he barely rode the bowl, he didn't even really ride during practice. He rode his little line on the deck. Which, look, he doesn't owe me or "BMX fans" anything, he can do what he wants, and a holiday in Australia with his wife is sweet of course he should take it. But I wish I could have seen more of him actually riding in person.

|

4/15/2019 4:56 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Wow, rad write-up! I kinda liked reading this better than the footage online.

- Agreed on Larry Edgar, he really has some kind of super human abilities.

- Agreed on Matty Cranmer too. I think he's slowly kinda coming out of Scotty's shadow and is finding his own way.

Overall it seems like this year was a little more "FISE-ish" where some pretty heavy tricks were worked into flowy runs.

Yeah some of the new guys (like Tom Van Boorgard) are starting to go just as big as the moto-whip guys, but doing silky smooth tricks as well. Even Larry Edgar is actually doing a lot of tricks in his run.

|

4/16/2019 8:49 AM

Kris fox rips but the dudes got no tricks

|

4/16/2019 9:32 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

SirCaseAlot wrote:

That's the thing, he barely rode the bowl, he didn't even really ride during practice. He rode his little line on the deck. Which, look, he doesn't owe me or "BMX fans" anything, he can do what he wants, and a holiday in Australia with his wife is sweet of course he should take it. But I wish I could have seen more of him actually riding in person.

That's fair to want to have seen him ride in person, guy is a creative genius with some of his lines, but it doesn't necessarily justify kinda slamming him by stating it is a contractual obligation and he doesn't care about contests etc with zero reasoning for those statements. For all we know he was uber jetlagged or sick? Maybe his knee was acting up again (a while back he was on the Scotty youtube and not able to ride etc cause it swelled up).

Hard to say without directly asking him.

Bummer you didn't get to see him ride in person though. And that you saw a dudes teeth explode.

|

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.